Ms. Schmidt's Class News
Week of June 1 - 5
It's hard to believe we are entering our last full week of 2nd grade! It has been a wonderful year and I am so excited to be continuing this journey with many of your children next year!
Speaking of next year, if you have not yet completed the form from Mrs. Barbee about looping with me, please do so. Please make the best decision for your child and let me know if you have any questions.
There have been a few questions about next year. One of the biggest questions has been, How will 3rd grade be different?
- Third grade curriculum includes completely new standards and although my basic teaching style will stay the same, our lessons will be completely different.
- Students will continue to receive enrichment or remediation as needed.
- We will be using Chromebooks next year instead of Macbooks. The Chromebooks were funded by the Inspire Grant that we were awarded last year.
- We will continue with Genius Hour, although it will now be called Wonder Workshop!
- In addition to Wonder Workshop, we will also begin having Makerspaces, in which students get time to create and build.
- We're moving to a new classroom in the 3 -5 building, but will still have tables as I believe they help foster a more collaborative learning environment.
- I will be spending my summer preparing for 3rd grade and planning for new and exciting learning experiences for your child.
We aren't done learning yet!
Last week was a busy week! We walked to the library and farmers' market. Both were great experiences for our students! The library has great summer programs - please go and check them out this summer!
We also held our Marketplace with Mrs. Smith's class. As a part of our economics unit, students worked in small groups to create their own businesses. They had to make a product, create a persuasive advertisement and sell their product. This was an awesome real-life learning experience experience, students loved selling and buying items at the Marketplace.
This week, we'll be completing several STEM challenges based on popular fairy tales! It's sure to be a fun week!
June 5 @ 1:00 - End of Year Party & Awards
*Board Game Day - Your child may bring one board game to school. No electronics.
June 8 - June 10 - No Uniforms
June 10 - Last Day of 2nd Grade - Early Dismissal
Prevent the Summer Slide!
Below are some of the ideas that students came up with to help keep their skills sharp this summer!