Beef Skillathon/ Beef Quiz Bowl
San Antonio beef Skillathon- Feb 14
The Beef Cattle Skillathon is a knowledge based competition designed to enhance the educational experience of exhibiting at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo by incorporating production and industry perspectives for the Texas 4-H and FFA exhibitors. Contestants will be challenged with questions, skill stations, and a public speaking component encompassing various facets of the beef cattle industry. This contest is not only designed for those exhibitors who exhibit beef cattle projects, but also those students who simply have a strong interest in the beef cattle industry. Exhibitors compete in age divisions, Junior, Intermediate, and Senior with the subject matter tailored for that age group.
More rules and information can be found in the Livestock Premium List.
you must have been invited to the class. Emails were sent to student email. If you did not receive one check the just mail or let me know and I can resend it. you must log in to access study materials.
HLSR Beef Quiz Bowl
4-H & FFA Beef Quiz Bowl Contest
Superintendent – Stanley Kelly – College Station, TX
Assistant Superintendents – Jana Barrett – College Station, TX
Dottie Goebel – College Station, TX Friday, March 2 Quiz Bowl Registration: 8:00 a.m. NRG Center – Rooms 601-602 Orientation 8:30 a.m. NRG Center – Rooms 601-602 Preliminary Rounds: 9 a.m. NRG Center – Rooms 600, 606-609 Finals: Upon completion of prelims NRG Center – Room 600 Awards Presentation: Upon completion of finals NRG Center – Rooms 601-602 This show is subject to the Houston Livestock Show General Rules and Regulations and to the Special Rules of this section. Where Special Rules conflict with other rules, Special Rules prevail.
Dottie Goebel – College Station, TX
Friday, March 2
Quiz Bowl Registration: 8:00 a.m. NRG Center – Rooms 601-602
Orientation 8:30 a.m. NRG Center – Rooms 601-602
Preliminary Rounds: 9 a.m. NRG Center – Rooms 600, 606-609
Finals: Upon completion of prelims NRG Center – Room 600
Awards Presentation: Upon completion of finals NRG Center – Rooms 601-602
This show is subject to the Houston Livestock Show General Rules and Regulations and to the Special Rules of this section.
Where Special Rules conflict with other rules, Special Rules prevail.
Special Rules for 4-H & FFA Beef Quiz Bowl Contest
1. Eligible Entries:
- a. Each county or FFA chapter is invited to enter an unlimited number of teams of up to four (4) contestants per team. Entry forms must be completed and returned, with a $40 entry fee per team, to HLSR by December 1, 2017.
- b. Contestants must be between the ages 8 (in addition to being in 3rd grade) to 18 years of age as of August 31, 2017 and are enrolled in, and attending, public or private elementary or secondary schools in TX.
- c. Contestants must not have completed post-secondary coursework in subject areas of the National 4-H or FFA Beef Quiz Bowl Contest, nor has he or she participated in training for post-secondary competition in subject areas of the 4-H - FFA Beef Quiz Bowl Contest.
- d. Any contestant enrolled in post-secondary education must submit a transcript of completed and/or enrolled coursework with entry materials.
- e. All contestants must be members in good standing of 4-H or FFA in the state that they are representing during the contest.
- f. All contestants and teams of contestants must be certified by the County Extension Agent or Agriculture Science Teacher.
2. Maximum Entries: A team will consist of three (3) or four (4) contestants.
3. Entry Forms: Entries MUST be submitted online at www.rodeohouston.com prior to midnight, December 1, 2017. Payment must be mailed to the HLSR Livestock Entry Office at Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, P.O. Box 20070, Houston, TX 77225-0070.
4. TX 4-H Quiz Bowl Guidelines: This show will be held under the rules of the TX 4-H Quiz Bowl Guidelines, (http://TX4-h.tamu.edu/events/roundup/) provided they do not conflict with any of the rules and regulations prescribed by the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
5. Registration: Teams will be notified prior to the contest as to when and where they should report. Teams that fail to check-in within 10 minutes of their scheduled match will forfeit the match unless excused by the Superintendent.
6. Team Captains: A team captain is designated and should be seated nearest the moderator, who will be positioned between the two teams. Contestants will wear identification tags and/or have cards with their contestant numbers. The captain will remain the captain throughout the contest and will always be seated closest to the moderator. Other team members may change their seating order between matches.
7. Viewing: Contestants cannot view matches until the open viewing of the championship round. No electronic devices are allowed in contest room. Spectators may not bring any writing, recording devices or other similar materials into a contest room. Other specific rules about public and participant viewing will be announced at orientation, just prior to the Quiz Bowl competition.
8. Awards: Contestants must be present to receive their awards. Any remaining awards will not be mailed following the show. The following prizes will be awarded: