Manorlu Swim Club
June 13, 2015 Newsletter
Welcome Back Picnic - Thank You Everyone!
A giant shout-out to the Manorlu Social Committee and all the members who brought food for the wonderful “Welcome Back Picnic” held on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. It was a fun way to kick off the summer and catch up with summer friends. Always great to see so many people enjoying late spring fun at the pool!
Parents' Night Out Fundraiser! Sign up now!
When: Friday, June 19th, 6:00 pm until 8:45pm
Who: Children five years old and older
Cost: $20 for first child, $30 for two or more
Sign up now at the front desk! Or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Evening includes pool, babysitting, drink, snack and FUN!
- Supervision provided by Manager, Life Guards and Select Teenage Babysitters
And... once the children are happily enjoying themselves at Manorlu... you have three hours to yourselves... or join us at the Jarrettown Inn for some Manorlu socializing!
Don't need the child care? That's fine - we'd still love to see you at the Jarrettown Inn! The Jarrettown Inn will pay us back 10% of our food bill during the Parents' Night Out!
The Jarrettown Inn is located at:
1425 Limekiln Pike
Dresher, PA 19025
Fireside Dine and Donate!
Take a break from cooking, treat your family to fabulous food and help Manorlu!
On Monday, June 22nd, Fireside Bar & Grille will donate 20% of your total check (less alcohol and gratuity) back to Manorlu. This applies to take-out as well as dine-in. Tell your friends, tell your neighbors - you don't have to be a member, you just have to patronize Fireside on June 22nd. Lunch or dinner. The promotion runs from 11:30am to 10pm. Simply mention that you are part of the Manorlu Dine and Donate program and they will do the rest.
Fireside Bar & Grille is located at:
1211 S. Bethlehem Pike • Ambler, PA 19002
PH (215) 643-6540 • F (215) 643-6594
Announcing Manorlu's 4th Annual Mini-Golf Outing!
Mini-Golf Fundraiser is Sunday, July 19th!!
Attention Manorlu Families - this year our Mini-Golf Fundraiser is a family event! Mark your calendar and put together your foursome (or fivesome or sixsome... we're flexible!) The day will begin at 2pm with a fun, slightly competitive round of mini-golf - followed by celebratory gathering afterward at Manorlu. Sure to be a lot of fun. More information in the days ahead.
Interested in sponsoring a hole? Contact Jeff Thompson at email@example.com for more information!
Sunday Sundaes!! Now at the Snack Bar!
Our Manorlu tradition of Sunday Sundaes will continue this year with a slight change - the sundaes will be sold at the snack bar! The first "Sunday Sundaes" of the season will be this Sunday, June 14th! Ice cream at the pool - what could be better? $2 per sundae.
Revival of the Manorlu Open 400 Meter Swim!
When: Friday July 3rd
Where: Manorlu Pool
Who: All Manorlu members
Age Requirement: 5 years old and up
Participation Fee: $10 per swimmer
Manorlu Mega-Distance Meet
Welcome to Manorlu's New Snack Bar Operator!!
Welcome to Mark, Tanya and Adam! We are excited to once again offer a full service snack bar. Hopefully everyone has made their way to the top of the hill to meet our new snack bar operator, but if you haven't, we hope you will soon and often!
So venture up the hill and support our new snack bar!
Hours of operation: 12pm-6pm everyday
Summer Pool Basketball League
Not all the fun at Manorlu happens in the water. Calling all boys and girls entering grades 6 through 8! Manorlu participates in the Summer Pool Basketball League with Maple Manor, Oreland and Sunny Willow. This is a fun, co-ed league and all interested players are welcome. A sign-up sheet will be posted on the main bulletin board. The schedule is listed below. Games are played in the evenings beginning late June through the end of July. Game location rotates among the participating clubs. There is a $20 player fee to cover the cost of a team t-shirt and the game officials. First game is Monday June 22nd (at 6pm) vs. Sunny Willow at Maple Manor. Schedule is as follows:
Can't get to the pool, but want to play? Just email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name, grade (in September), phone number, email address and we will be in touch!
A couple of notes:
- Each team must have at least one girl on the court at a time. Hoping to get several girls to join us this year!
- This is a fun league. Although we'd love to take home the trophy - more importantly we'd like to kids to have fun and represent Manorlu with good sportsmanship.
- Coach... we are thrilled that member Tom Johnston has agreed to coach our Megaducks this year! Thanks so much Coach Tom!
- Monday June 22nd - 6pm vs. Sunny Willow at Maple Manor
- Friday June 26th - 6pm vs. Oreland at Manorlu
- Monday June 29th - 7pm vs. Maple Manor at Sunny Willow
- Monday July 6th - 7pm vs. Sunny Willow at Oreland
- Friday July 10th - 7pm vs. Oreland at Maple Manor
- Monday July 13th - 6pm vs. Maple Manor at Manorlu
- Friday July 17th - Playoffs at Oreland
- Monday July 20th - 6pm Championship! (location - highest ranked team)
We wish our Manorlu hoopsters a fun and successful season!
Questionable weather? Wondering if the pool is still open?
In the event that we must unexpectedly close the pool due to lots of rain, thunderstorms, or heaven forbid - an accident in the baby pool, a text alert (or and email, if you prefer) will be sent to all subscribers with a Manorlu update. For those who may be familiar - Rained Out is the same service used by the Upper Dublin Soccer Club to notify members of field closures. It's free (text messaging rates apply) and only takes two minutes to sign up using this link:
How often and what kind of messages can you expect to receive? Hopefully we will have a sunny summer and the pool will close infrequently, but here is a sample of possibilities:
- Pool closed for weather (may seem obvious, but it can be raining in Dresher and sunny in Abington... and who wants to make the drive to find the pool closed!)
- Reminder for Manorlu events such as the 4th of July celebration, the Adult Social, Sunday Sundaes, and more.
- Reminder for pool closing for home swim meets
(Note for swim/dive team families: To receive notification of general pool closures and happenings, you must sign up using this link. It is a different account. It covers all Manorlu members and is different from the swim/dive team account. For non-swim/dive team families: This account will not be used to communicate general swim/dive team information.)
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Manorlu's Float in the Oreland 4th of July Parade
Last years float was such a success - we're going to do it again this year! The Marketing Committee is looking for a few volunteers to design, build and ride/drive (and throw candy!!) in the Oreland Parade. Our float doesn’t have to be fancy, big or too much work (have a cool Jeep or a pick-up truck?), but we need a little help to make it happen. If you’d like to help, contact Mike Darcy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every Thursday Night is Tube Night!
And... after you've dropped the kids off for tube night... adults can head up to the volleyball court for some fun on the sand. See below for more information.
Announcing Co-ed Adult Pick-up Volleyball!
When: Thursdays throughout the summer (beginning this week, June 18th) at 7pm
Where: Manorlu's own volleyball court
Fee: Absolutely free - just bring your competitive spirit and jovial attitude
Open Meeting Summary
The Board of Directors held our Annual Meeting at Manorlu on Sunday May 24th. We were pleased to see several member families in attendance. The agenda for this year's Open Meeting, as well as the prior three years', is posted on the website. Click on the "Members" tab and the link is at the bottom of the page.
Look for a summary of the meeting in the next newsletter.
Megaducks Swim & Dive Team
Attention Megaduck Parents!
In the event that we must cancel swim or dive practice due to cold temperatures, lots of rain, or thunderstorms, we are now using a text (or email if you wish) notification system called "Rained Out." Please take two minutes to sign up using this link:
If swim practice is cancelled, you will immediately be sent a message through Rained Out that will be go directly to your phone as a text or to your email account.
Manorlu Guest Fees
At Manorlu, we love that you want to share our beautiful pool with your friends and extended family, but please remember that you must pay a guest fee for each guest you bring, each time you bring them. You also must be present to have a guest at the pool and are responsible for reviewing "Pool Rules" with your guests. (Pool Rules are posted at the front desk.) Guest fees are as follows:
- Weekdays: Adults - $5.00, Children under 16 - $3.00
- Weekends & Holidays - Adults - $7.00, Children - $5.00
- After 6pm: Adults - $2.00, Children - $1.00
Mark Your Calendars for Manorlu Fun
- Saturday, June 13th - Open for Regular Season Hours (12pm-8:45pm)
- Sunday, June 14th - Sunday Sundaes (all day at the snack bar)
- Friday, June 19th - Manorlu Parents Night Out! (6pm-9pm)
- Monday, June 22nd - Dine and Donate at Fireside Restaurant in Ambler
- Friday, July 3rd - Revival of the "Manorlu Club Open 400 Meters"
- Saturday, July 4th - Fourth of July Family Fun
- Saturday, July 11th - Adult Social (6pm-11pm)
- Sunday, July 12th - Manorlu Mega-Distance Meet (8am)
- Sunday, July 12th - Sunday Sundaes (all day at the snack bar)
- Sunday, July 12th - Megaduck Reunion and Open House
- Sunday, July 19th - 4th Annual Family Mini-Golf Outing (2pm-4pm)
- Friday, August 21st - Trivia Night
- Monday, September 7th - Labor Day Festivities!
Got an Idea for a Newsletter Topic - Email Me!
Social Media and Manorlu
Manorlu is keeping up with the times! To get the latest and greatest information, visit us at www.manorlu.com, friend us on Facebook (Manorlu Club) and follow us on Twitter (@manorluswimclub.) But, in the event that you're not a social media fan, you can still get all the information you need from this newsletter or on the main club bulletin board across from the front desk.