New COVID-19 Protocol
Last night, our Trustees approved a revised practice/protocol (see attachment) for excluding students who are exposed to a positive case of COVID-19.
From the last time a student is exposed to a positive case of COVID-19, the student may either:
- Self-quarantine out of school for 14 days, using Google Classroom to complete their work or
- Follow the guidelines listed below.
If a student wishes to return to school earlier than the 14-day self-quarantine timeline, the student must:
- Get a COVID-19 test on the 6th day following their last exposure to a positive case. In other words, 5 days have to pass for the virus to incubate before testing.
- If, on the 6th day, the student has a negative COVID-19 test (and the test result is shared with the Principal) and they are symptom-free, they may return to school.
- A mask must be worn by the student for the remainder of the 14-day timeline while at school (excluding athletics)
- The student must get temp-checked each day by school staff.
BGV Trustees recognize the importance of having our students in the classroom as much as possible, and we're hopeful that this new practice will help us better serve our BGV students.
Please note that this does not apply to athletics. A student who was exposed to a positive case of COVID-19 may not participate in athletics during the 14-day period following exposure. That means that although a student may be in school with a mask, they still may not participate in athletics during the 14-day timeline. Why? Because one cannot realistically wear a mask during practice/games and opposing teams will not play a team with potentially positive cases present... causing BGV to forfeit the game.
If you have questions about this change in practice, please talk with Principal Meyers and Principal Burk.