All About the Maori People
By: Maura Thiboldeaux and Alex Saurman
Maori Religion and gods
- Earth was created when the sky father, Rangi joined with the earth mother, Papa, god of war,Tumatauenga and the god of the forest, Tane Mahuta.
- Tane pulled Rangi and Papa apart forming day and night.
- In his sadness of their separation, Rangi's tears created the oceans.
- Tane Mahuta, with his own breath, created the first woman, Hine Hauone.
- Their art was created to serve a practical or symbolic purpose
- Artists added their own twist to international modernism
- Carved wood, stone, and bone
- Patterns were inspired by different parts of nature
- The official name for this language is called Te Reo Māori
- Formed from Polynesian descent from South East Asia
- Alphabet contains 15 letters: h,k,m,n,p,r,t,w,a,e,i,o,u,wh,and ng
- According to a 2006 statistics, about only 20% of Maori people still regularly speak the language.
Room 6's entry for Te Reo Maori