The Carroll Library
Everything a Teacher Needs to Know about the Library :-)
Library - More Than Books :-)
- a TEK
- author study
- nonfiction text features
- book talks
- databases (MackVia)
- OverDrive lesson
I can go to you or we can do it all in the library. Just let me know how I can support your instruction!
Library Times and Sending Students
- Open mornings from 7:20-7:45
- Closed after school (duty)
- Teachers may send students individually or in small groups to the library to return books or to check out books, but, if there is a class in the library, the class has priority.
- Teachers are always welcomed! :-)
Teacher Knows Best
Please return to the library for the last ten minutes of your library time. During this time, students are in the stacks, in reading nooks, using the online catalog, and at the circulation desk. Having another adult to help students is always beneficial! Also, you have valuable insight into your students' reading that we simply do not have. And, quite honestly, students love chatting with their teachers about books, and what better time than library time to do that?
Inter Library Loans and Curriculum Books
LS2 - Our New Online Catalog
This new system does allow users to request books, as well as, create lists of books. This feature is especially great for teachers who now can create a list of mentor texts, save it for future use, and email me the list so I can pull the books. To login, use this version of the catalog, click on "Log In" at the top right, then login with your district username and password. If you have any problems, let me know.
An additional feature this catalog system offers is allowing readers to write reviews for books. These reviews are then posted in the catalog with the book! Once posted, the review can not be edited so students will need to revise and edit quickly before posting. If you're interested in learning more about this feature, please see me.
And may I suggest that you save the online catalog as favorite on your browser so that you can quickly check to see if a book is in our library. I know that inspiration can strike at a moment's notice so being able to quickly check our catalog can come in handy!
UN: Student ID
PW: 8 digit birthday
UN: District network name (email w/o @friscoisd.org)
PW: district network password (unique to each staff member)
November - Visit with illustrator A.G. Ford
- Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2015
- Presentations will be in the gym (thank you Coach Krieg!)
- K-2 - 12:50 -1:35
- 3-5 - 2:00 - 2:45
December - "Monster" Book Fair
- Library closes Wed, Dec. 2 to set up the book fair and reopens Monday, Dec. 14th.
- If you need books during that time, requests need to be in by Dec. 1st.
- Book Fair Preview Days are Thursday and Friday Dec. 3rd & 4th (schedule to come)
- Book Fair is Dec 7-11
- If during this time you'd like me to read to your class, do a lesson, or booktalk popular books at the book fair, just let me know!
- More details about the book fair to come!
January - Reading Programs
- 2015-16 Bluebonnet Voting is at the end of the month! All 3rd-5th graders who have read a minimum of 5 Bluebonnet nominated books and completed a survey for each one will vote during their lunch period.
- The Six Flags Read to Succeed Programs begins! Students can earn a free ticket to Six Flags over Texas in Arlington by logging 6 hours of reading. All reading logs are due to the library by March 23, 2016
- Teachers who have students in their homeroom who turn in a completed log will also get a free ticket to Six Flags!