September 2017 Edition
PLC and Collaboration Time
- The Units are not intended to be read in script format, but they may feel that way in the beginning. Teachers who prepare and get to know the units will speak the language and not require a script. Start where you are comfortable, but in the end our script is our "reading conversation."
- Keep a relentless eye on provocation during the Units. When do your students spark interest in a project direction? When are you taking advantage of those provocations? Project is part of our work in HSE21, beware of the "block" thinking, we can't afford to go back to silo instructional practices.
PLC Date Focus and Location:
- 9/11/17 - Grade Level Specific Team - Reading Units of Study
- 9/18/17 - Grade Level Specific Team - Reading Units of Study
- 9/25/17 - Grade Level Specific Team - Reading Units of Study
- 10/2/17 - K-4 TOGETHER - LIBRARY - Agenda coming from Megan T.
- 10/9/17 - K-4 TOGETHER - LIBRARY - Agenda coming from Megan T.
Reading Workshop is fully underway in 3rd grade! Across all rooms "Creating mental images and keeping track of information while reading" was being discussed this week.
Reading Workshop is fully underway in K and 1st grade discussing "taking sneak peeks" before actually reading.
If we put the time in this year to read, learn, read some more...it will make us so much better for next year.
September 12 - Admin Meeting (DK, Rich & Servizzi out AM)
September 14 - Staff Meeting @ 7:40 AM, Preschool @ 7:30 AM
September 19 - RTI Individual Teacher Sign Ups Grades 3 & 4
September 19 - Cultural Competency Team Meeting (all welcome) 4:00-5:00
September 20 - School Picture Day
September 21 - ENL Playdate @ Brooks School Road Park 4:30-5:30
September 27 - RTI Individual Teacher Sign Ups Grades 1 & 2/K (if needed)
Meet Shannon West
Shannon is transitioning from our Perm Sub to a Pre school IA.
Meet Ann Skinner
Ann is joining us as a Pre School IA.
Meet Carissa Lavette
Carissa is joining us as a Pre school IA.
Evaluation - Have you completed these simple items?
- Schedule a Beginning of Year Conference with your evaluator.
- Fill out your goals FORM located on your team page.
- Schedule your LONG evaluation with your evaluator.
Response to Instruction
Required prior to transitioning a child to Tier 2:
- multiple data points
- discussed the child with your team
- documented strategies attempted and duration
- parent contact
Filling out the Forms Doc for RTI is new this year and will help streamline the one on one meetings because the information will already have been reviewed.
Please sign up here for your one on one to discuss RTI. More information regarding the Doc and one on one meetings to come at Staff Meeting.
HSE District will send all reports to parents via email. NO NEED to send or print. Please pull them up on your device for parent conferences and save us a tremendous amount of paper expense.
Lunch & Recess
- To be on time best you can (we understand life happens).
- Be mindful of using the bathroom located near cafe (try to use it in between recess times) and not while children are releasing to recess to avoid congestion.
- Do not allow students to place Ipads/lunch boxes etc in middle of hallway when at restroom.
- Have radios on during recess and continue using only for emergencies and high priority communication with office/nurse.
- Excellent job with spreading out across different recess zones. Remember we encourage safe play but do not need to be police officers. Play with the children!
Mrs. Baer is rocking Discovery!
Discipline from 2016-2017
BSE's Discipline goals for 2017-2018:
- Use PBIS team to unveil 10 videos regarding behavior expectations around building.
- Decrease the number of referrals by 30%. (134 total referrals).
- Decrease the number of referrals of males (88% of referrals are male).
2017-2018 Discipline Referrals so far... Aug and September combined (15!)
The Power of Our Words is an excellent resource to help us reinforce, remind and redirect behavior.
Name concrete and specific behaviors.
Instead of: “Your spelling shows progress. Try: “You remembered to change the ‘y’ to ‘i’ when adding ‘ed.’ “
Prompt children to remember for themselves.
Instead of: “Sit alone or next to someone you won’t be tempted to talk to. Put away everything you don’t need. If your mind wanders, take a few deep breaths and tell your mind to come back to your reading.” Try: “Think about what you can do to help yourself concentrate.”
Be direct and specific.
Instead of: “Casey, you need to work harder.” Try: “Casey, put your watch away and continue with your assignment right now.”
If you're interested in working on this project, contact Allison Haltom via email. We can set up an after school brainstorming session and get started!
HSE Teacher Absence Report Update - August
PBIS Videos 1 & 2
The PBIS team is working hard to create 10 videos that will help with procedures and the way we do things here at BSE when it comes to language we use, hallways, bathrooms, cafe, discipline, etc. All videos are mandatory to be viewed by each class the month of September and below are the first two! Please share any feedback you have with Andrea Thorne.
Click here to view BSE Mission and Motto.