May 25, 2023
Board Meeting Details
This regular Board of Education meeting was held in person at the District Center.
1. Call to Order
2. Approval of Meeting Agenda
3-6. Closed Session
The board moved into closed session at 6:04 p.m. to discuss all of the below:
3. Closed Session to Discuss: The placement of individual students in special education programs and other matters relating to individual students. 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(10).
4. Closed Session to discuss: The appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees, specific individuals who serve as independent contractors in a park, recreational, or educational setting, or specific volunteers of the public body or legal counsel for the public body, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee, a specific individual who serves as an independent contractor in a park, recreational, or educational setting, or a volunteer of the public body or against legal counsel for the public body to determine its validity. However, a meeting to consider an increase in compensation to a specific employee of a public body that is subject to the Local Government Wage Increase Transparency Act may not be closed and shall be open to the public and posted and held in accordance with this Act. 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(1).
5. Closed Session to Discuss: Collective negotiation matters between the public body and its employees or their representatives, or deliberations concerning salary schedules for one or more classes of employees. 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(4)
6. Closed Session to Discuss: Litigation, when an action against, affecting or on behalf of the particular public body has been filed and is pending before a court or administrative tribunal, or when the public body finds that an action is probable or imminent, in which case the basis for the finding shall be recorded and entered into the minutes of the closed meeting. 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(11).
7. Reconvene To Open Session
8. What's Good in 109
-The annual family breakfast returning to Walden. A great event put on by staff!
-A special visit from Wilmot alum and Hollywood actress Marlee Matlin
-South Park students visiting the historic schoolhouse and getting a tour from the Deerfield Area Historical Society
-Kipling's terrific K-2 art show!
We honored a number of middle school conference champions in track,
Azalea M.: 1st place 1600m Run, 8th Grade Girls
Rachel B.: 1st place Long Jump, 7th Grade Girls
Maddie M.: 1st place Shot Put, 7th Grade Girls - ALSO 3RD PLACE IN THE STATE!
Maddie G., Rose S., Audrey D., and Claudia F. - 4x200m Relay Conference Champs
Audrey D.: Conference champion in 400m Dash for 8th Grade Girls - ALSO Sectional Champion and 6th place in the state!
We also were joined by members of the Shepard Baking Club for a presentation. They recruited two board members to help with a live baking demo.
9. Superintendent's Report
Mr. Simeck thanked our 15 staff members who will be retiring at the end of the year for the contributions they have made to the district. He shared photos from his visit with the Shepard Tea Club and from the Arbor Day tree planting ceremony at South Park.
He introduced the Net Promoter Score, one of the key performance indicators for the district that the Board of Education adopted earlier this year. This will be measured by a one-question survey that was just sent out to the 109 community earlier today and will be open for a few more days.
Click below to watch his report.
10. Community Participation Relative to Matters on the Meeting Agenda (Policy 2:230)
11.1. Freedom of Information Requests (Policy 2:250)
11.3. RJB Custodial Contract
11.4. Resolution to Appoint Treasurer & Assistant Treasurer & Associated Surety Bonds
11.5. Net56 Managed IT Services Renewal
12.1. Consent Agenda*
Meeting minutes were approved.
Personnel items were approved.
Bills for payment were approved.
Destruction of closed session audio was approved.
12.2. Treasurer's Report
12.3. Recommendation to Approve Olson Transportation Contract Renewal
12.4. Recommendation to Approve RJB Custodial Contract
12.5. Recommendation to Appoint Treasurer & Assistant Treasurer
12.6. Recommendation to Approve Surety Bonds of Treasurer & Assistant Treasurer
12.7. Recommendation to Approve Technology Refresh Purchase for the 2023-24 School Year
12.8. Approval of Special Joint Board Meeting Minutes from May 2, 2023
12.9. Organizational Special Meeting Minutes from May 3, 2023
12.10. Student Settlement Agreement
13. Committee Reports (Policy 2:150)
Mrs. Wener attended a legislative update for ED-RED via Zoom.
14. Open Community Participation (Policy 2:230)
15. Board/Superintendent Other
Mrs. Jakymiw thanked the communications team for all of the online tributes to retiring staff.
Mr. Simeck thanked Dr. Dornfeld and Mrs. Bonar for their strong start to board service and all of the time they have devoted in the orientation process.
The next school board meeting is...
Thursday, June 15, 2023 @ 7 p.m. - Regular Board Meeting