Venetia Valley Voice
School / Family Newsletter - March 2022
Can you believe that March is already here? These last few months have been challenging for everyone, but I am amazed at everyone's resilience and perseverance! With your unwavering support, your children have been coming to school and engaging in various learning and social activities that have somewhat taken us back to a more "normal" state of mind. Super healthy! All of us at Venetia Valley School are appreciative of your support, your patience and your flexibility. You help us to be at our best to support your children and for that, we thank you!
From an academic standpoint, this month we celebrate National Women's History Month! I'm excited to see the various learning activities our teachers have in store for our students these coming weeks. Here are a few additional updates regarding that status of our school. In the coming weeks, we will be identifying our first cohorts of students that will reignite our Spanish Dual Language Immersion program in both Kindergarten and 1st grade. We are extremely excited to have received a lot of interest from families throughout the San Rafael City Schools Elementary District with more than 70 applicants! Enrollment closes on March 15th and shortly after, notifications will be made to all who applied.
Our school is also preparing to undergo further improvements as we will begin construction of our new athletic field. In the coming days, construction fencing will go up and groundbreaking for the project will begin. The athletic field is scheduled to be completed by the end of the summer break, ready for our Falcons to enjoy the new field upon their return from summer break in August of 2022.
This past month, our students and staff engaged in a door decorating contest as part of the learning activities surrounding Black History Month. We had many classrooms participate and selected 3 winners from our elementary team and 3 winners from our middle grades team. Students had an opportunity to learn about the many positive contributions of African Americans along with their difficult challenges, discrimination and racism they endured, culminating their learning in a representation of their work on their classroom doors! Photos of our winners are posted below.
These are only a few of the many positive things taking place at Venetia Valley School. There are countless other wonderful things to share with our families and I'm glad to see our teachers sharing their activities with you on ParentSquare. As we move from pandemic to endemic, we are also excited to welcome back our families on campus (masked indoors until March 12th) and hope to see more of you engaging with the school, your child's teachers and the staff in general. Your participation and willingness to volunteer in your child's classrooms is always appreciated too. As the month of March moves along, you'll see we have Parent Teacher Conference Week happening the 15th thru the 18th, meaning dismissal will take place daily at 12:50 PM for general ed classes and at 12:20 PM for our special day classes. Monday, 3/14 is a non-student day as our staff prepare for the conference week ahead. Thank you again for all of your support!
Como Puedo Ver Este Boletin En Otro Idioma? How Can I See This Newsletter In A Different Language?
March At A Glance
Week of February 28th - March 4th: Read Across America Week and National Women's History Month Begins!
- TUESDAY, 3/1: Food Pantry from 3:30 - 5 PM in front of the school
- WEDNESDAY, 3/2: Early Dismissal at 12:50 PM for GE and 12:20 PM for SDC
- WEDNESDAY, 3/2: Monthly Safe Routes Day (students receive a prize for biking, walking or taking an alternative method of transportation to school) during AM arrival
- WEDNESDAY, 3/2: Parent Services Project Parent Workshops from 4 - 6 PM
- WEDNESDAY, 3/2: Citizenship Classes in the MPR from 5 - 7 PM
- THURSDAY, 3/3: School Site Council Meeting via Zoom at 4:30 PM
- THURSDAY, 3/3: Principal Chat via Zoom w/Mr. Q at 6 PM
- FRIDAY, 3/4: PTA Movie Night from 5 - 7 PM in the MPR
Week of March 7th - 11th:
- TUESDAY, 3/8: Food Pantry on Tuesday from 3:30 - 5 PM in front of the school
- WEDNESDAY, 3/9: Early Dismissal at 2:05 PM for GE and 1:35 PM for SDC
- WEDNESDAY, 3/9: Parent Service Project: Parent Workshops from 4 - 6 PM
- WEDNESDAY, 3/9: Citizenship Classes from 5 - 7 PM in the MPR
- THURSDAY, 3/10: School Tours for Families Interested in VV for 2022-23 SY at 9 AM
- THURSDAY, 3/10: DELAC Meeting at 6 PM via Zoom
- FRIDAY, 3/11: PTA Movie Night from 5 - 7 PM in the MPR
Week of March 14th - 18th: Parent / Teacher Conference Week
- MONDAY, 3/14: No School for all students!
- TUESDAY thru FRIDAY, 3/15 - 3/18: Parent / Teacher Conferences for all scheduled students with Early Dismissal at 12:50 for GE and 12:20 for SDC
- TUESDAY, 3/15: Food Pantry from 3:30 - 5 PM in front of the school
- WEDNESDAY, 3/16: Parent Service Project: Parent Workshops from 4 - 6 PM
- WEDNESDAY, 3/16: Citizenship Classes at 5pm in the MPR
- THURSDAY, 3/17: School Tours for Families Interested in VV for 2022-23 SY at 9 AM
- THURSDAY, 3/17: PTA Meeting at 6 PM
- FRIDAY, 3/18: PTA Movie Night from 5 - 7 PM in the MPR
Week of March 21st - 25th:
- TUESDAY, 3/22: Food Pantry from 3:30 - 5 PM in front of the school
- WEDNESDAY, 3/23: Parent Service Project: Parent Workshops from 4 - 6 PM
- WEDNESDAY, 3/23: Citizenship Classes at 5pm in the MPR
- THURSDAY, 3/24: School Tours for Families Interested in VV for 2022-23 SY at 9 AM
- FRIDAY, 3/25: Community Closet from 3:30 - 4:30 PM
- FRIDAY, 3/25: PTA Movie Night from 5 - 7 PM in the MPR
Week of March 28th - April 1st:
- TUESDAY, 3/29: Food Pantry from 3:30 - 5 PM in front of the school
- WEDNESDAY, 3/30: Early Dismissal at 2:05 PM for GE and 1:35 PM for SDC
- WEDNESDAY, 3/30: Parent Service Project: Parent Workshops from 4 - 6 PM
- WEDNESDAY, 3/30: Citizenship Classes in the MPR from 5 - 7 PM
- THURSDAY, 3/31: School Tours for Families Interested in VV for 2022-23 SY at 9 AM
- THURSDAY, 3/31: Open House from 5:30 - 7 PM
- FRIDAY, 4/1: Early Release Day at 12:50 PM for GE and 12:20 PM for SDC (And no... this is NOT an April Fool's Joke!)
Our Black History Month Door Decoration Winners!
Middle Grade Winners
2nd Place - Ms. Samayoa's 6th - 8th Grade Advisory Class
3rd Place - Ms. Langley's 8th Grade Advisory Class
2nd Place - Ms. Kegley's 1st Grade Class
3rd Place - Ms. Leon's 5th Grade Class
Final Call for Current Venetia Valley Families in Kindergarten...
Do We Have Any Kindergarten Families Interested in our Spanish Dual Language Immersion Program Next Year?
Link for the English Survey
Enlace para la Encuesta en Español
V.V. is Looking for Applicants!
Family Center Update
Dear Venetia Valley Families,
We hope you had a nice week off and are enjoying the beautiful weather we have had. With that, the busiest dates of the year are approaching and we hope you will join us in the events that we have planned for all of you. We are looking forward to you joining us on our Spring Scavenger Hunt, our Falcon 5K Run, and many more. One event that we will be bringing back this year is the Venetia Valley Carnival which will take place on Saturday, May 21, 2022. More information will come soon, but if you would like to start to donate we are welcoming water, can sodas, and paper goods (plates, cups, etc). Please bring them to the Family Center.
As always, remember that the Family Center staff is here to serve you, do not hesitate to contact us.
Let's have a great month! 😊
What is happening in the Family Center/Community:
Food Bank distribution happens every Tuesday from 3:45 pm - 4:45 pm
Families, remember that bags of food are handed out every Tuesday in front of the school. Feel free to stop by if you need this service.
Brandeis Tutoring- Every Tuesday from 3:35 pm to 5 pm in the Cafeteria.
Elementary parents if your child needs help understanding or finishing his/her homework please bring them on Tuesday to get support. This is a first come first serve program, for more info please call the family center.
Safe Routes Monthly Challenge- Wednesday 3/2/22- Before school
On Wednesday the Safe Routes table will be at the front of the school for our monthly Walk and Roll Wednesday event. Please encourage your child to participate by stopping by at the participation table. Students who participate can enter a raffle for prizes.
School Site Council- Thursday 3/3/22 - 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm
What is the SSC?
The School Site Council (SSC) is composed of the school principal and a group of people, selected by their peers, representing all segments of the school community: teachers, support staff, parents, and student members at the secondary level. The common goal and focus of this elected body is to support student success. The SSC does this by developing and monitoring the implementation of the school’s plan for the school year known as the Single Plan for Student Achievement.
Charla with Mr. Q- Thursday 3/3/22 - 6 pm to 7 pm
Charla with Mr. Q is an opportunity for families to ask questions or share concerns about what is happening in Venetia Valley. Get information about services or events that are happening in our community.
Citizenship Classes- Wednesdays from 5 pm to 7 pm in the Cafeteria
If you need help with the application or study the 100 questions, do not hesitate to attend the classes. For more information call the Family Center. Place- VV cafeteria
PTA Movie Night in the Cafeteria from 5 pm to 7 pm. 3/4, 3/11, 3/18, 3/25
VV Families, we hope you can join us for Movie Night. Bring the whole family and come comfortable (pajamas, sweats, blankets). The PTA will be selling popcorn, fruit, and flavored water.
PTA Association Meeting- Wednesday 3/17/22 - 6 pm to 7 pm
Join Zoom Meeting: https://srcs-org.zoom.us/j/5173205035
Join us to know what are some of the upcoming events that the PTA will be hosting.
Community Closet- Friday 3/25/22 from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm
Location- Venetia Valley back parking lot. This closet is made up of donated clothes for other families to use. Please take what you will use. Be considerate of our whole community.
PTA Fruit Sale
Starting next week, 3/7 - 3/11, during lunch recesses, the PTA will be selling Chocolate Bananas, Chocolate Strawberry, and Fresh Fruit, Monday and Thursday. Each snack will cost $2.50.
PTA Sweatshirt sales- in front of the School- Price: $35
Sale Days: Monday - Friday from 8 am to 9 am
Lili (415) 850-8851/ Veronica (415) 577-6184
Teachers if you know any family that needs food, please let them know that we have a Community Fridge. Along with The Rodef Sholom Congregation and El Centro de Old Gallinas we have the community refrigerator that is open 24/7 for families to come and grab what they need. It is located in the parking lot of the congregation at 170 N San Pedro Rd, San Rafael, CA 94903
Leslie Garcia - Family Advocate - firstname.lastname@example.org
Kristal Garcia - Family Advocate - email@example.com
Sheila Ramirez - Family Center Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Center Hours
Monday to Friday from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Direct Line: 415-496-0226
Follow us on social media: Facebook and Instagram @ventiavalleyTK8 and follow Mr. Quesada on Twitter @PrincipalPaulQ.
Venetia Valley TK-8 School
Venetia Valley is a community school where students, families and staff are celebrated for who they already are and are supported in every way to become all that they aspire to be.
Nuestra Declaración de Misión
Venetia Valley es una escuela comunitaria donde los estudiantes, las familias y el personal son reconocidos por quienes ya son y son apoyados en todos los sentidos para convertirse en todo lo que aspiran a ser.