You've Been Served!
By: Jhude' Welch
- Tell me to file a complaint which is a formal statement naming the plaintiff and the defendant and describes the lawsuit. The plaintiff being the person who brings another a case against another in a court of law.
- The court then sends a summons which is a document telling the defendant of the suit against them and orders her to appear in court on a certain day and time.
- Then there's the pleadings where the complaint and the answer are put together by the lawyer.
- The pre-trial discussions come after where the judge might have both parties in a meeting to help clarify differences and prepare for the trial; this can include arbitration or mediation where there's an intervention in a dispute in order to resolve it.
- Then comes the trial, leading to the verdict or decision that takes into consideration the preponderance of evidence which can be appealed by a higher court.