The Dangers Of Plastic
By: Ravi Patel
What Goes Around Comes Around
- Billions of pounds of plastic end up in our world's ocean, Fishes end up consuming 12,000 to 24,000 tons of plastic each year
- Plastic don't biodegrade instead they brake into tiny pieces and eventually are consumed by the sea animals that inhabit there
- Humans consume the contaminated fish and in return they get health problems
- BPA is a chemical that effects human hormonal function, it can also lead to cancer, and birth defects, this chemical is found in the contaminated fish that humans eat
Plastic On The Beach
Any trash on the beach get swept into the oceans by the waves and end up making it to our oceans
Plastic In The Ocean
What You Could Do Yourself
- Participate in a coastal clean up
- Reduce, reuse, recycle
- Don't use bottled water instead use something much more reusable
A Potential Solution
According to researchers at the Wyss Institute the use of shrilks can be used as a safe alternative to plastic and also many other products that we use every day. The good thing is that it's cheap and we would be able to mold it into very complex shapes and is biodegradable.
- Andrews, Gianna. "Plastics in the Ocean Affecting Human Health." Case Studies. N.p., 7 Dec. 2015. Web. 01 Apr. 2016.
- Prindville, Matt. "The Solution to Plastic Pollution?"Http://upstreampolicy.org/the-solution-to-plastic-pollution/. N.p., 22 Apr. 15. Web. 1 Apr. 2016
- Kilhttp://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/ocean_plastics/duff, Katerine. "OCEAN PLASTICS POLLUTION:A Global Tragedy for Our Oceans and Sea Life." Ocean Plastics Pollution. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Apr. 2016.
- "Promising Solution to Plastic Pollution." Harvard Gazette. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2016.