LHS Spanish - Señora Stephens
Classroom Community & Content
A Message from Mrs. Stephens
Our Classroom Learning Community
The 5 Foreign Language Standards
- Communication: Communicate in languages other than English
- Culture: Gain knowledge and understanding of language in other cultures
- Connections: Connect with other disciplines and acquire information
- Comparisons: Develop insight into the nature of language and culture
- Communities: Communicate in multilingual communities at home and around the world
Grading Practice & Assessments
Assessments consist of 90-95% of your grade. All projects/assessments are aligned to the "Levels of Understanding" (seen above). Each one is built to reflect your understanding of concepts from Basic to Advanced. Listening/Speaking/Writing/Speaking will all occur throughout the unit and will be assessed via tests or projects.
Practice is 5-10% of your grade. Frequently, I will reference the levels of understanding as seen above without assigning a grade. I will record your practice in PowerSchool so that you are aware of how you are doing. Not everything we do counts as points, but will help improve your understanding of the language.
Descriptive feedback on practice will guide you in your learning. Reality Checks are a great way to spot check your understanding throughout a unit. These are mini-assessments for you and I to evaluate if you need extended help during Liberty Hour. Once a unit one of the Reality Checks will count toward your class grade (see the section on Learning Growth Opportunities).
Learning Growth Opportunities
- First, attend Liberty Hour for Tutoring
- Once you and the teacher determine you gained an understanding of the learning objectives you can be reassessed
Since language builds on itself you will need to complete/rework all assigned practice as part of this learning growth opportunity.
Quality work and improving understanding is the only way to raise your grade.
Extra Credit is not an option in this class as it is NOT a reflection of your knowledge/understanding of the Spanish language.