CLX Buzz: 8/21/18 Welcome Back!
The Claxton Elementary Community Newsletter
What's the Buzz?
- Coming Soon at Claxton
- Meet the Teacher Events
- Kindergarten Parent Welcome for Staggered Start Mornings
- New Family Orientation during Kindergarten Meet the Teacher
- Information Tables at Meet the Teacher
- It's Time to Renew Volunteer Background Checks
- After School Arts Program Catalog and Registration
- School Supply Lists
- Welcome to The Leader in Me
- Claxton Rewards Programs--Sign Up or Renew Your Support!
- Fall Fun Run Fundraiser
- Claxton Spirit Nights
- Elementary Battle of the Books '18-'19 Reading List
- Coming This Fall: Seussical Jr., Claxton's School Musical
- Claxton Spirit Nights
- Join the 2018-2019 Claxton Family Directory
- CLX on Social Media
- Quick Links
- Thanks to Our Sponsors!
Coming Soon at Claxton....
Kindergarten Meet the Teacher - Thurs., Aug. 23, 5:30-7:00pm
Grades 1-5 Meet the Teacher - Fri., Aug. 24, 9-11 am
FIRST DAY OF CLASS - Mon., Aug. 27 (Full Day)
Kindergarten Staggered Start - Mon., Aug. 27 & Tues., Aug. 28
No Classes - Mon., Sept. 3 (Labor Day Holiday)
After School Arts Class Registration OPENS - Tues., Sept. 4, 8:00am
Open House and Ice Cream Social - Thurs., Sept. 13, 5-7pm
Early Dismissal - Fri., Sept. 14, 12pm
Back to School Dance (3rd-5th Grades) - Thurs., Sept. 20 3-4pm
After School Arts Fall Classes Begin - Week of Mon., Sept. 24
Fun Run, Memorial Stadium - Thurs., Oct. 4
Fall Carnival - Fri., Oct. 26 5:30-8:30pm
Here is a link to a list of the official ACS Calendars, including the upcoming 2018-2019 school calendar.
Meet the Teacher Events
Grades 1-5 Meet the Teacher - Fri., Aug. 24th 9-11am
(Please note: Kindergarten teachers will NOT be at Claxton during this morning event. Interested kindergarten students and families should come to the Thursday evening event on 8/23.)
New Family Orientation
Information Tables at Meet the Teacher
It's Time to Renew Volunteer Background Checks!
After School Arts Catalog and Registration Information
2018-2019 School Supply Lists
Welcome to The Leader in Me
From The Leader in Me's August Family Newsletter, by Dr. John and Jane Covey--
Each new school year brings opportunities for academic growth and growth in all areas of development. Although children must be knowledgeable when they graduate, they must also be healthy, engaged, responsible, and caring people.
The Leader in Me provides your school with the vision and language to lead the school in a way that addresses all areas of development. As each child discovers and develops his or her unique gifts and talents, they are given opportunities to lead. As leaders, they become active, engaged partners in their own education and their self-confidence, responsibility, and initiative grows. The children quickly understand the benefits of different gifts and talents; they learn to listen to new ideas, work together to achieve results, and motivate one another to be the best.
We hope your school enjoys sharing these new opportunities. Together, you will watch each and every child grow throughout the year.
Claxton REWARDS Programs
Here are 5 ways to easily help our kids by SHOPPING as you normally do!
1. Ingles Tools for Schools: Each August link your Ingles Advantage card to Claxton. Can do online or in a store.
2. Harris Teeter Together for Education: Each August link your VIC card to Claxton. Can do online or in a store.
3. AmazonSmile: Anytime you purchase something from Amazon, start from smile.amazon.com to do so (you cannot use the app but you can put items in your cart from the app and then go to smile.amazon.com to make the final purchase). Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to your designated non-profit organization. If you have not yet selected an organization, please consider designating "Claxton Elementary PTO."
4. Box Tops for Education: Place Box Tops in container in hallway by office. This is THE way that Coach Swain is able to purchase new types of PE equipment and to replace items that have worn out. Each box top is worth $0.10 to Claxton and it adds up very quickly!
5. Asheville Grown's Go Local Card: You get access to discounts and special offers at over 450 local businesses for all of 2018! We have a limited number (8) of 2018 Go Local cards left for you to buy (cash or check) for $19 in the school office (or look for the table at the Meet the Teacher events). For every Go Local Card purchased, $9.50 of your purchase will go DIRECTLY to Claxton!
Fall Fun Run Fundraiser Details!!!
Fall Fun Run Fundraiser Details!!!
Hello, Claxton Parents! One of this year’s main fundraisers is the MINDSPARK MYSTERY LAB FUN RUN! It’s a two-week program that kicks off with a Pep Rally on Monday, September 24 and ends with the Fun Run on Thursday, October 4. From September 24-October 4, families will gather pledges for every lap their student will run (30-35 laps) at the Fun Run. This event is super fun for the kids and fun for us to see them run their hearts out for their school!
With our big goal of raising $25,000 this year, we asked the Fun Run experts at Boosterthon to power our Fun Run and make it easier, more profitable, and more fun.
Students will also experience an amazing character theme, MINDSPARK MYSTERY LAB! Boosterthon’s most exciting theme yet combines S.T.E.A.M skills (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) with character-building. While they're teaming up with the MindSpark Kids to solve mysteries, our students will learn five 21st-century character traits that will help strengthen themselves and our world.
Look for more information on how to make pledges, watch Mindspark videos and all things Fun Run in coming weeks!
Thank you for your support. Let’s make this the best Fun Run yet!!!
Claxton Spirit Nights
Elementary Battle of the Books '18-'19 Reading List
The 2018-2019 Elementary Battle of the Books list is out! Any and all interested 4th and 5th grade students are invited to participate. More information will be coming soon! Happy reading!
Seussical Jr. the Musical
Announcing Claxton's School Musical!! Seussical Jr. will appear onstage at Claxton with performances November 16th-18th! That's right--Claxton's musical is happening in the fall and not in the spring this school year. Horton the Elephant, the Cat in the Hat and all of your favorite Dr. Seuss characters spring to life onstage in Seussical Jr., a fantastical musical extravaganza from Tony award winners, Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty. Transporting audiences from the Jungle of Nool to the Circus McGurkus, the Cat in the Hat narrates the story of Horton the Elephant, who discovers a speck of dust containing tiny people called the Whos. Horton must protect the Whos from a world of naysayers and dangers, and he must also guard an abandoned egg that's been left in his care by the irresponsible Mayzie La Bird. Although Horton faces ridicule, danger and a trial, the intrepid Gertrude McFuzz never loses faith in him. Ultimately, the powers of friendship, loyalty, family and community are challenged and emerge triumphant!
All students who audition and attend rehearsals will be in the Seussical Jr. cast and crew. Ms. Rigsby and Mr. Butler will use auditions to help in assigning parts and creating ensemble groups. Auditions will be held on September 13th and 14th.
The participation fee is $50.00 per student. Scholarships are available upon request. Please make your payment online. Ms. Rigsby and Mr. Butler will have information, registration forms, and computers available to process payments at Meet the Teacher this Friday, August 24th from 9-11am at a table in the gymnatorium.
Join the CLX Directory!
Be a part of the Claxton DIRECTORY!
Our Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) subscribes to the MySchoolAnywhere service for our family and faculty directory and email communications. It's secure, easy to use, and free to all Claxton families.
The directory portion can help parents in need of homework assistance, setting up play dates with new friends and many other social needs.
If you haven't registered, please go to the site below, enter our school's code and follow the steps to register your family. You can specify what information you'd like to appear in the directory - or choose not to appear at all.
Returning Families - If you're already registered, you should have received an email recently asking you to update your family information and display preferences for the new school year. You do not need to register again unless you did not receive that email.
Once we've had a chance to verify your family information, you'll receive an email with login credentials and instructions to access the system.