Welcome to June!
Hello Knox Families!
With just a few short days left in the school year left. I would like to thank all of our Knox families for your outstanding partnership and support.
We are proud of the many accomplishments of our students and school this year. Here are some of our awesome highlights from the 18-19 school year!!!!
- All of our Knox AVID students took their first trip to Junior Achievement Finance Park
- 600 Knox students participated in the Butterfly Project to learn more about the Holocaust and to become upstanders.
- Our Knox Library got a wonderful makeover thanks to the Jimmie Johnson and Barona grants and students were so excited to read their new books.
- Our Knox Outdoor Fitness Center was established thanks to a $40,000 grant from the Chargers.
- Our Knox students were great leaders in the community supporting students in our feeder elementary schools at the following events: Nye Fun Run, Baker Read Across America, Porter Circles, Chavez March, Chavez Ballet Folklórico performed at a Knox Pep Rally, etc.
- We held our 42nd annual Martin Luther King March.
- We added a second course to our Knox Engineering Pathway strengthening our students Engineering and Computer Science Skills.
- Multiple teachers had their Donor's Choose projects funded for classroom books.
- Our students showed growth on reading levels as measured by the winter Fast.
- We continued our writing focus across all Knox classrooms with a specific focus on Claims, Evidence and Reasoning.
- 8th grade History students took a tour of the new downtown courthouse.
- Students self-advocated for support using the SSR form (Student Support Request iPad form) almost 900 times!
- We put on our first Knox musical, Annie Jr. in collaboration with the La Jolla Playhouse.
- Our Knox athletes competed in multiple basketball and soccer games at Lincoln.
- The Knox field and courtyard both got make-overs.
- Our Knox students presented and attended the AAAE conference as well as the CADA conference to demonstrate their leadership.
- Knox Circle Leaders, lead by Mr. Ponsford, lead their peers in community circles every Wednesday morning.
- Our parents joined us twice a month for coffee, circles and workshops, with Ms. Watkins, Ms. Oneida and Mr. Ponsford. Knox was nominated for a QSIEN (Quality Schools in Every Neighborhood) LCAP award for our partnership with parents.
- Our Lego Robotics Team competed in multiple competitions.
- Knox was awarded a KidsCode Computer Science grant for after school Coding.
- 100% of our Knox teaching staff was trained in Restorative Practices
- Many Knox teachers completed their GATE certification
- Knox was open for 53 weekend days for students to make up missed days of school (Saturday + Sunday).
- We made over 100 home visits in November alone and delivered Turkeys to over 80 of our Knox families homes for Thanksgiving.
- Knox Primetime students took a college tour and also partnered with the students at Lincoln High's Arc Link Crew program.
- Knox students were honored at the AAAE awards at Lincoln High.
- Knox students took a stand against bullying by developing their leadership skills in the Ally Action Program.
This school year, Knox has received over $137,000 in grant funding! These grant awards are having a huge positive impact on our school!
- Jimmie Johnson Foundation
- Barona Education
- CPM Math
- Chargers Champions
- Junior Achievement Finance Park Scholarship
- SDUSD KidsCode Primetime Computer Science Grant
- Gear-Up Grant
8th grade parents, this is a reminder that in order for your student to participate in the Knox promotion ceremony, they must be passing all of their classes on June 4th at 4pm in Power School. This deadline is approaching very soon. If you have questions or concerns about your child's grades, please email their teacher.
Thank you for all of your support and collaboration!
Knox Outdoor Fitness Center
$40,000 Chargers Grant
Circle Leaders Participate in Leadership Workshop Led By the National Conflict Resolution Center
Knox 8th Grade Circle Leaders Support Community Circles for 5th Graders at Porter
Jimmie Johnson Library Grant Update
Check out the detailed data here....
School is open one last Saturday and Sunday this school year!
We are open this month on these weekend dates:
Each session will clear 1 full day absence and 3 tardies.
Happening on Campus this Month
6/4- 4pm Power School grade check for 8th grade promotion ceremony
6/5-8th grade bowling- LOP event
6/7-8th Grade Park Day-LOP event
6/10-8th Grade book signing event
6/11- Promotion 9:15-10:30- West Basketball courts @ Knox-parents wishing to sign students out after promotion, must have ID and be listed in the PS contacts.
6/11- Dismissal 1:00pm
5th Grade Families- Please stop by the Knox office anytime to get your registration packet!
Lincoln High Freshman Orientation
Key Contacts At Knox:
Vice Principal- Angelica Hueso-Garcia- email@example.com
Head Counselor-M-Z- Lori Watkins- firstname.lastname@example.org
Counselor- A-L- Sherri Penaloza- email@example.com
Restorative Practices Coordinator-Jeff Ponsford- firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration/Attendance-Leticia Alva Sanchez- email@example.com
Site Tech- Power School Parent Portal- Kristen Ojetti- firstname.lastname@example.org
Admin Assist-Linda Dozier- email@example.com
Parent Liason- Oneida Barrera- firstname.lastname@example.org