The "Oskaloosa Syllabus"
April, 2015 - "News YOU Can USE!"
2014-2015 - Annual Needs Assessment Survey
The results are analyzed by leadership groups across the district; goals and adjustments are made as a result of this important information, so your participation is critical and appreciated!
Survey Window closes on April 3rd.
Thanks in advance for you participation and support of Osky schools!
PLC/Vertical Team Facilitators and Mentor Applications
Thanks to all who applied or who are considering applying!
Oskaloosa Presenting at Conferences!
We will be presenting on our journey toward Standards-Based and Standards-Referenced Grading. Presenters are: Tim Veiseth (3-5 Principal), Angie Grubb (2nd grade teacher), Denise Morris and Danielle Francois (1st grade teachers), Jayme Braida (5th grade teacher), Kirsten Stek (MS Science), Jeanne Clark (HS Foreign Language), and Mary Cooksley (Dir., Curriculum and Instruction).
Waukee Instructional Coaches - June 9th.
We will be presenting about our journey toward Instructional Leadership (Instructional Coaches). Presenters are: Marian Raum (MS Instructional Coach), Jen Groenenboom and Stephanie Edgren (Elementary Instructional Coaches), and Mary Cooksley (Dir., Curriculum and Instruction).
Congratulations to these teacher leaders - their willingness to share our work will assist other districts on their school improvement journey!
High School Exhibition Night "Picture Your SELFIE Here"
Meet the 2015-2016 Instructional Coaches!!
K-1 Literacy - Stephanie Edgren - current K-5 Coach
2-3 Literacy - Shannon DePenning - current 4th grade teacher
4-5 Literacy - Jen Groenboom - current K-5 Coach
K-5 Math - Jane Bambrook - current 2nd grade teacher
Instruction and Technology Integration Coach - Marian Raum - current 6-8 Coach
Instruction and Technology Integration Coach - Polly Ehret - current MS Special Education teacher
Instruction and Technology Integration Coach - Clint Gingerich- current Business teacher
Instruction and Technology Integration Coach - Jeanne Clark - current Spanish teacher
We are thrilled to be adding these positions for next school year!!! The Instructional Coaches will have an extended contract of 10 days. They will attend some training this summer as well as during the school year to continue their professional learning.
We hope everyone takes advantage of them next school year!!!!
New Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
Why? The Governor wants to increase the focus on STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering and Math across the state. When will the NGSS be put into practice across Iowa? Hopefully the legislature approves them by the end of the school year, but they may not be approved until next school year. When that happens, the Science Curriculum Team will compare our current Grade Level Benchmarks and Components to those Standards. We will rewrite them to be in line with the expectations outlined in the new Standards.
The next core area to be reviewed by the state are the Social Studies Standards. For more information on the NGSS, watch the video below.
PLCs to Watch in April - Art AND Music
Elementary - 75% of 5th grade students will enhance their own digital portfolio by taking/uploading at least one artwork photo and/or writing and entering one artist statement.
Middle School - 80% of students in Art 8 will earn a 3 or higher on Grade Level Benchmark reporting.
High School - We will utilize a portfolio as evidence of learning, and also as a guide to further learning. The evidence contained will be practice sketches, technique explorations, Subject research, and goals and aspirations as determined by the student and their committee.
Our 2014-2015 PLC Norms/Collective Commitments
- Have a positive outlook
- Be There
- Live the District Mission
- Participate and Speak Your Mind
- Respect Each Other
Part 2 - Reading Summit - One-Liners
Mike Smith - "Supporting Rigor Through Reading Pleasure"
- Sarducci Test - What do you want students to remember 5 years from now?
- Fostering social pleasure by reading TOGETHER!
- Read a favorite book of students' - even if YOU have never read it!
- Ask your teachers "how many times did you play this week?"
Enrique Puig "Redefining Text in an Era of Core Standards"
- "What does your text say in your head?"
- "Update your language to upgrade your thinking"
- Intertexuality - looking at print, music and sculptures as a form of text - FASCINATING!!!
- Close reading should be a strategic action rather than a routine - students need to be able to transfer across content!
Laura Robb "Engagement Defines Meaningful Learning"
- "Throw out workbooks and packets and let's be engaged and read for the state of flow"
- State of flow is when you are so engrossed in literature [or any learning] you don't want the activity to end or you do not know where the time just went.
- Student Quotes: "Do activities instead of packets" & "Don't lecture, let us do the learning"
- Students must be 20 times more literate than our parents needed to be.
Ruth Culham and Traits Writing
- According to NAEP 27% of students in the U.S. are proficient in writing in the 8th and 12th grade
- ACT and SAT scores are down 9 points since 1972
- ACT - lowest English Scores since 2006
Lindsey Palmier and Karen Hoard - "Guided Reading and Gaining Understanding of Complex Texts
- Need a common goal and common language
- What should you see in classrooms during literacy time?
- Monitoring teachers - "inspect what you expect"
A few pictures below so you can put a face with a name and quote:
Iowa Core Learning, Growing, Stretching YOUR Thinking
Some MORE IMPORTANT Iowa Core InFOrmAtIoN
PLCs might want to look at her site, her Slideshares, and any other resources you find here.
We ALL need to teach literacy and that is what she does - LITERACY!!