Team Degn Updates
Friday, September 24, 2021
NOTES FROM THE TEACHER
- Planners: Planners are filled out each morning by your student. The planners will be brought home each night for a parent/guardian to sign off stating that the fifth grader read for 20 minutes a night, or have worked towards their 100 minutes a week that is required to be read.
- Homework: Reading 20 minutes a night is the only homework that will be sent home with your child. After your child has finished reading that night, please sign off in their planner.
- Spelling Words: Spelling words will be sent home on Mondays, and the test will be on Fridays. Please ensure your child is practicing these words.
- Corrected work for more points: You may help your child correct any work that has a grade on it for full credit. After making corrections please send it back to school.
- Please continue to work on simple math facts at home; whether it is addition and subtraction, or multiplication.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me through calling the school, emailing me, or sending a note with your student.
- Masks: Please help remind students that masks are to be warn in the hallways as they enter the school building. Sanitizing and ensuring classroom cleanliness will all contribute to our efforts to remain safe.
- Book Talks: 5th grade is working on our comprehension and exploration of different books! Students are expected to finish at least one chapter book each month and give a book talk about the book.
Outdoor Ed Field Trip - Friday, October 1st
- Please make sure your student is on time for school that day because once the bus leaves, they can not come back
- If they signed up for a bring their lunch from home, make sure they have that lunch, there is not any extra
- Remind your students to bring a water bottle
- $3 for worms- they are responsible for the money and worms
- Students must ride the bus to and from the field trip even if parents are going
- Parents and volunteers must meet us at Binder
- Please make sure your student is wearing weather and outdoor fun appropriate clothing
WHAT WE'RE LEARNING:
Students will begin getting deeper into the division unit but looking at 1 digit divisors, and 2 digit divisors.
TEST DATE: Friday, October 8th
READING AND WRITING:
In Reading, students will be looking into identify characters and their roles in stories. As we continue to dive into the fiction unit, students will begin examining conflicts between characters and how that plays a significant part in the story line/plot.
In Writing, students will take a look at memoirs. Students will pinpoint specific emotions, adjectives and ways to make meaning out of memories.
Order forms have been sent home for the book we are publishing this year, with the topic of "If I were in the Olympics"! Please send back order forms by Friday, October 22nd.
This week, we will be looking deeper into matter by discussing physical and chemical changes that happen. There are lots of science experiments this week, which is super exciting!
ANTICIPATED TEST DATE: Friday, October 8th
- Tuesday, Sept 28 - Library today!
- Thursday, Sept 30 - Title One Family Night 5:30-7:30 (DOOR PRIZES WILL BE THERE)
- Friday, Oct 1 - Outdoor Education Field Trip Day!
- Tuesday, Oct 5 - PTO Meeting
- Wednesday, Oct 6 - National Walk to School Day!
- Friday, Oct 8 - Mouse Races
- Monday, Oct 11 - NO SCHOOL
- Thursday, Oct 14 - Fall Pictures
- Wednesday, Oct 20 - Early Release at 12:45
- Friday, Oct 22 - End of First Quarter
- Friday, Oct 22 - First Quarter Assembly (no visitors at school)
- Friday, Oct 22 - Olympic Writing Book Order Forms due!
- Monday, Oct 25 - Flu Clinic for Students
- Thursday, Oct 28 - Monthly Assembly
- Friday, Oct 29 - Fall Parties
Linked is also our class Amazon Book Wish List! Students have expressed to me different books that they'd like to see added to our classroom library! Some even feature the recent Mark Twain Nominees! Check out this list here!