Creston Community News
Creston Intermediate and Middle School Family Newsletter
Week of March 8, 2020
Please know that ILEARN Testing begins later this year - the testing window opens April 20 and runs through mid-May. If your child will need to have medical or other appointments during this time, we encourage you to schedule those outside of school hours or before or after the testing window. We want our students to achieve their best success on these upcoming assessments!
- MARCH 10 - Intermediate Studnets will visit the CTE Fair (presented by Walker Career Center students) in the East Gym at Creston to learn more about future career paths and options!
- MARCH 10 - National Junior Honor Society Induction Ceremony - 6:30 PM
- MARCH 11 - Picture Day for students who wish to have spring pictures taken (students MUST have a form and payment). Forms were distributed last week.
- MARCH 13 - Term 3 Report Cards will be sent home with students on this day!
- MARCH 16/17 - 5th and 6th grade visits to WCHS Performing Arts Center (see below for more details)
- MARCH 20 - Final student day before spring break
- APRIL 6 - School resumes
- APRIL 8 - 8th grade visit to Warren Central High School (see below for more details)
Mrs. Carey Storm
Special thanks to all classrooms who participated in our Black History Month door decorating contest! Check out a few stellar examples below!
5th/6th Grade Student/Parent Information
Many more details will be shared with you and your students in the coming weeks regarding scheduling selections and preferences for next school year. In the meantime, we'd like students to have a clear understanding of the performance music opportunities that exist; therefore, they will spend a bit of time experiencing high school musicians performing for them next week.
All intermediate students will attend this trip; they will be transported by MSD Warren Township buses and attend with teachers, counselors, and administrators. Students will return to CIMS in time for lunch.
8th Grade Student/Parent Information
8th grade students interested in Summer Gym:
Summer School registration will start on Monday, March 16th at 9:10 AM in the auditorium. No one will be allowed to sign-up before that time. There are 30 am & 30 pm spots available for Creston students. These spots will be filled on a first come-first served basis and students must have the money with them to register. If you have any additional questions please contact Ms. Goff (firstname.lastname@example.org). The image below has more information.
8th Grade Visit to Warren Central HS:
On Wednesday, April 8, all CIMS 8th grade students will travel to WCHS with teachers, counselor, and dean to begin their high school journey. During this showcase the students will meet key leaders at WCHS, tour the building and circulate through rotations with Walker Career Center, the 9th Grade Cohort Team, Athletics, and Performing Arts. Students will be transported during the school day by MSD Warren buses and will eat lunch at the high school. The trip will run from approximately 9:30am - 1:30pm.
SCHOOL SAFETY REMINDERS
Creston IMS conducts safety drills with the support of Warren Police at various times of the day and throughout the year to ensure that students and staff are prepared for unexpected events that may arise during the school day.
- Periodic severe weather drills and lockdown drills, along with monthly fire drills, are conducted to ensure students and staff have time to practice the procedures associated with each situation.
- Periodic bus evacuation drills are conducted on campus to allow students to practice and prepare for bus emergencies. Periodic bus scans are conducted with the support of Warren Police to ensure that materials being brought on campus are school appropriate.
MORNING DROP-OFF REMINDERS
- Students are not able to enter the building until 8:35 a.m. This is the earliest we can guarantee appropriate adult supervision.
- Students should NOT be dropped off prior to 8:35 a.m. each day; if they are, they will be standing in cold temperatures until staff supervision arrives and students are let in to the cafeteria.
- Given that school begins at 8:55 a.m., we are allowing families an additional 20 minutes of time for their student to be supervised by inviting students in the building at 8:35 a.m.
- Please follow the cones and barriers to create the car-rider line safely, and follow the instructions of all staff members outdoors, as they supervise parking lot and drop-off line areas.
Field Trip Information - PLEASE NOTE: FINAL PAYMENTS FOR END-OF-YEAR TRIPS ARE DUE MARCH 19TH!
Students in grades 5, 6, and 7 brought home field trip information in early January. Students in grade 8 brought home information early this year. See details below:
Grade 5 - Louisville, KY - Friday, May 15, 2020
Grade 6 - Cincinnati, OH - Tuesday, May 26, 2020
Grade 7 - Chicago, IL - Friday, May 8, 2020
Grade 8 - Washington, DC - March 18 - March 22, 2020
To register or view more information, visit this website: http://appiantours.com/
Enter Trip Codes: CIMSLouisville2020 / CIMSCincinnati2020 / CIMSChicago2020
Does your student want to have something to cherish these school memories? Pre-Order a Yearbook NOW! Visit ybpay.lifetouch.com and enter School Code: 10680020.
Cash or Checks (made payable to Creston) can be turned in to Ms. Dennison in Room 137.
Paperback covers are $23 and hardback covers are $28.
We hope you'll consider purchasing a yearbook to commemorate your child's year of growth at CIMS!
- Girls Tennis practice began on Monday, March 2. Practice will be after school until 5:45 pm.
- Boys and Girls Track and Field Practice will start on Monday, March 9. Practice will be after school until 5:45 pm. Reminder that track is open to all students in 5th through 8th grade.
- 7th and 8th grade baseball and softball tryouts will be on March 10, 11, 12 at Raymond Park Middle School. Transportation to Raymond Park will be provided. Tryouts will be after school until 6:30 pm.
- Reminder that if you are going to participate in any of these Spring sports, you must have a physical on file with Mr. Treesh. Do not wait until the last minute to get a physical -- we want our potential athletes to be able to participate in all spring sports!
Click the buttons below for helpful information!
Warren's Journey of a Graduate
Youth Opportunities Fair
Congressman Andre Carson is hosting the upcoming Youth Opportunities Fair, which will be held on Monday, March 16, 2020 at the Indianapolis Central Library from 12 pm to 7 pm. The event presents students and parents with a variety of year-round and summer employment, internship, volunteer and service opportunities for youth of all ages. It is free to attend, and no registration is required.
- Non-working Youth: Participants under the working age of 14 can connect with local service providers offering summer and year-round programs, as well as volunteer opportunities designed for young people of all ages.
- Working Youth: Teens and young adults can connect with job, internship, and volunteer opportunities. Professional volunteers will also provide learning sessions on interviewing skills, resume review, and post-fair tips to follow up with employers.
- Details can be found here: https://carson.house.gov/7th-district/youth-opportunities-fair
Parent Portal - Important Information
As a parent or guardian of a student attending a Warren school, you have online access to your child or children's courses, grades, attendance, discipline, and academic history. The student and parent portal has been upgraded to Tyler SIS Student 360. This new portal offers parents, students and district staff online access to student information via the Web on PCs or tablets or on a smartphone application — providing comprehensive functionality with a touch-friendly, intuitive interface.
You must obtain a username and password through your child's school (CIMS) in order to access your child's information. Once your information is verified (after completing the form linked above), a username and password will be generated by the school and given to you.
Raptor Visitor Management System
Warren Township Schools is pleased to announce that we are using the Raptor Visitor Management System in all of our schools to strengthen our program of campus safety for students and staff. Part of keeping students and faculty safe is knowing who is in our buildings at all times, and the Raptor System allows us to do that. The Raptor System allows us to screen visitors, contractors, and volunteers in our schools and provide us with a safer environment for our students and staff. Our goal is to keep a balance of being a welcoming school district as well as maintaining the safety of our students and staff.
Currently, every visitor who enters our building is asked to present a state or federal ID, such as a Driver’s License, and it is scanned into the Raptor System. Once the visitor has been approved, the office staff enters the reason, destination of the visit and the Raptor System will print a photo ID visitor badge. If for any reason a parent or guardian does not have a U.S. government-issued ID, the staff member can use any form of ID and manually enter the person’s name into the Raptor System. Beginning November 11, 2019, this will apply to our PreK-4 campuses as well.
A photo ID visitor badge is not required for those who visit our schools to drop off an item or pick-up paperwork at the front desk. Further, they may drop off their items(s) or remain in the waiting area until their student is available. Please be aware that current practices established in each building remain in effect.
The safety of our students is our highest priority. The Raptor Visitor Management System provides us with a consistent process of knowing who is in our buildings at all times as well as a tool to identify those individuals who may present a danger to our students and staff.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation and support towards enhancing school safety protocols in our district. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Creston Intermediate & Middle School at 317-532-6800.
Mrs. Carey Storm, CIMS Principal
21st Century Scholars Program
Take advantage of the 21st Century Scholars Opportunity. Apply online @ www.scholars.in.gov or submit the application through your school counselor. Students must sign up before June 30th during their 8th grade year.
Class of 2025 - Mrs. Maya Jones (7th grade counselor)
317-532-6800 ext 1313.
Class of 2024 - Ms. Rebecca Goff (8th grade counselor)
317-532-6800 ext 6900
If your student needs Math or Science homework assistance, they can call AskRose. Please see information below:
Tutors are available by phone Sunday - Thursday, 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm (ET) at:
Warren Central Athletic Events
MSD Warren Township strives to maintain a safe and orderly environment for all students while in school and at after-school events, especially our Warren Central athletic events. We ask for your support in helping us achieve this by ensuring that your intermediate and middle school student is accompanied by an adult or older Warren Central sibling, who has a WCHS student ID.
Also, for your convenience, we are including a reminder about approved items that may/may not be brought into athletic events at Warren Central High School.
SCHOOL DISTRICT PUBLICATIONS/NEWS MEDIA USE
The occasion may arise when the school district wants to recognize your child or your child's school. This may include your child's photo, your child's name or your child's work in district publications, newsletters, on school district websites, and in electronic/ social media or in staff training videos. We may also want to tell the media (including newspapers, television, and radio) about your child's achievements. We never knowingly release information about a student to anyone who wants to use it for commercial/ political purposes. However, we will honor your request to not include your child in these types of recognitions if you notify your child's school office in writing that you do not want this type of information released.