DMS Panther Report
Newsletter for Parents, Students, Teachers & the Community
Week of Mar. 9- Mar. 14
PR Volume 28
This Week's Schedule Rotation
B WEEK is our schedule rotation for Mar. 9-Mar. 13
HAPPENING AT DMS THIS WEEK
District Accreditation - March 9, 10, 11
Madison City Schools will be participating in accreditation, which occurs every 5 years. Discovery MS will host the visiting team on Tuesday afternoon (March 10).
New 4th 9 Week Classes will not begin until Wednesday, Mar. 11
Monday, March 9
- DMS Baseball moved to @ Meridianville MS A Team 4:30/B Team 6:30
- DMS Soccer @ Monrovia CANCELLED
- DMS Soccer @ Whitesburg Boys 7th Gr at 4:00
- DMS Softball vs Meridianville @ DMS 4:00pm
- Math Team (Optional) Practice after school in Mrs. Goldston's Room
DMS Spring Boys Basketball Tryouts for Rising 7th Gr Begins March 9
See detailed tryout information here.
Tuesday, March 10
- FCA at 7:15am in the DMS Library
- Current 7th Gr Boys Football Weight Room Workouts 3:30-4:30
- Cyber Security Meeting in STEM Academy at 3:15pm
- DMS Soccer @ Hartselle 7th Gr Boys at 5:00 Girls at 6:30
DMS Cheerleading Tryout Parent Info Meeting - March 10
Interest Meeting for Parents, Rising 6th Gr and Current 7th Grade Girls will be Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 6:00 in the DMS Library
Tryouts will be April 1st -3rd in the DMS Gym at Beginning at 4:00
Wednesday, March 11
- First Priority will meet in Coach Brewer's Room at 7:15am
- Art Club will meet in Mrs. Spiegel's Room after school
- DMS Soccer @ Monrovia MS Boys at 4:30pm
Thursday, March 12
- NJHS Meeting at 7:15am in the DMS Library. Please don't forget to bring your $15 Dues
- Scholar's Bowl Team Practice at 3:15pm in Mr. Sippel's Room
- Show Choir Rehearsal - 6:15-8:30 - Drop off and pick up at south end nearest Choir Room)
- Current 7th Gr Boys Football Weight Room Workouts 3:30-4:30
- DMS Baseball @ Sparkman MS A Team @ 4:30 and B Team @ 6:30
- DMS Soccer at Home vs Monrovia Girls @ 4:30pm & Boys @ 6pm
- DMS Softball vs Sparkman MS @ DMS 4:00pm
Band MPA - March 12 and 13
Due to the weather, the concert band did not get the practice in they needed to get ready for MPA, so their performance has been cancelled. Symphonic will still perform as scheduled on Friday, March 13.
Friday, March 13
- DMS Chess Team Practice 5:30-7pm at the MCS Central Office
- DMS vs Arab @ DMS 4:30/7pm
Saturday, March 14
- DMS Baseball @ Central 10am and 12pm
- Chess Team competes in State Competition
NA Regional Destination Imagination Tournament - March 14
Math Tutoring Available to Students
Math tutoring is offered to any student at the following times during the week.
7th Grade Math
Graham - Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday at 7:15-8:00am
Brooks - Monday at 3:20-4:20pm
Baragona - Tuesday at 3:20-4:20pm
Grayson - Thursday at 3:20-4:20pm
8th Grade Math
Garner - Monday at 3:15 -4:15pm
King - Tuesday at 3:15 -4:15pm
Baragona - Wednesday at 3:20-4:20pm
McGuire - Tuesday at 7:00am - 8:00am
Garner- Thursday at 3:15-4:15pm
8th Grade Algebra
King - Monday at 3:15 - 4:15pm
Maxwell - Tuesday at 3:15-4:15pm
McGuire - Wednesday at 7:00am - 8:00am
IMPORTANT INFO FOR DMS RISING 9TH GRADERS
Thursday, March 19 (Corrected Date)
- Curriculum Fair: 5-7 p.m. in BJHS Central Commons Area (This is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about the course offerings!)
- Advanced Placement (AP) information meetings in the Media Center from 5:30 – 6:00 and 6:30 – 7:00. If your student is interested in taking an AP course next year, you will not want to miss this meeting.
- Rising 9th grade informational meetings in BJHS Auditorium from 5:30-6:00 and 6:30-7:00 (New students are also welcome to come to this meeting.)
Tuesday, March 31
- 4 year plans are due to Mrs. Moody. All plans must be signed by student and parent
- 9th grade course request forms and AP permission forms (if applicable) due to Mrs. Moody. All request forms must be signed by a parent.
April 1st through 3rd
- Rising 9th graders will enter course requests in iNow from DMS.
WAY TO GO PANTHERS
UPCOMING EVENTS AT DMS
7th Gr Field Trip Rescheduled for Monday, March 16
Due to the winter weather last Thursday, the 7th grade field trip has been rescheduled for Monday, March 16th.
Reports Card will be sent home Tuesday, March 17
NEW DATE - DMS Registration Info Parent Meeting for Rising 7th Gr & 8th Gr - March 30
Attention all 6th Grade Soon to be Panther Parents:
This meeting will provide information about the MS Schedule, course catalog, and the spring registration process.
Band Dance Cancellation Info- March 7
HSV Literary Assoc. Young Writer's Contest due by March 18
Any 7th or 8th grade student entering the Huntsville Literary Association's Young Writers Contest please turn your entry in to Mrs. Dahlke by March 18th. Please see Mrs. Dahlke in room 522 if you have any questions. Thanks
DMS Band Wants You - Rising 7th Gr and 8th Gr
Become a member of the Discovery Middle School program!!
The Discovery Middle School Band Program offers a variety of programs to suit the needs of the students and the community.
Students are encouraged to come and try some of the instruments to find the right instrument to ensure their success.
Please contact Mr. Monroe Murray Director of Bands firstname.lastname@example.org
Caption describing picture or graphic.
Discovery Middle School Band
1304 Hughes Rd Madison Al, 35758
Phone: 256-837-3735 ext 545
DMS Library Needs Volunteers for Spring Book Fair
The DMS Library will be hosting its annual Spring Scholastic Book Fair April 27 – May 1, 2015. There will be LOTS of new and exciting books available for all of your summer reading wants and needs!!! Please make plans to come by and check it out!
If you would like to volunteer to help at the Book Fair, please contact our PTA VP of Volunteers, Alisa Henrie at email@example.com .
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
BOB JONES HS EVENTS AND NEWS
BJHS Volleyball Tryouts for 2015
BJHS/DMS Girls Basketball Workouts
BJHS 2015 Football Registration Going On Now
DMS PTA INFORMATION
KEEP THOSE BOX TOPS COMING FOR DMS
Keep those Box Tops and Labels for Education coming in! Box Tops and Labels for Education are accepted year-round and can be turned into your student's first block teacher or to the front office. Visit these sites to view participating products:
Parents Contact Forms
Parents each year we like to make sure our contact information is update. This year we have tried to make it easier for you by updating online. Please take the time to go to the following link and update your info. This is a private document that will only be seen by your child's teacher and office staff. Thank you for your help.