Updates from Mrs. Froning
March 1, 2020
Reminder: Tuesday, March 3rd is a 1/2 Day for Students
Dismissal time: 11:35 am
Congratulation to Olivia!
Lunch Menu changes...
Please be aware, a "snow day" results in changes on the lunch menu. Typically, what ever was to be served on the day school is canceled, will be served the following day. Special menu days such as Benito's Pizza Day will NOT be served the following day. This past week, given the two snow days, we do have a menu change for:
Monday, March 2nd
- Kids choice.
- Walking Tacos
- Mini corn dogs
(Broccoli and Fruit)
Thank you for your understanding and flexibility!
Calling all incoming Kindergartner families!
Parents and guardians of future kindergartners are invited to Kindergarten Orientation at all 12 of our elementary schools -
Monday, March 16th at 6:30 pm.
Do you know a future Oakley Park Owl? Please spread the word about Kindergarten Orientation! Please also contact our main office and add your name to our e-mail list so you receive information about our incoming kindergarten events. Call 248-956-4100 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
A Special Event for our 4th Graders
Walled Lake Parent Parent Advisory Council is once again offering an amazing opportunity to all 4th graders in our district. A Disability Awareness Workshop will take place at the Walled Lake Outdoor Education Center and will be conducted as a field trip. Our 4th graders will attend this special event during the afternoon of Friday, March 27th. The main emphasis of the Disability Awareness Workshop is to help children become more aware of the challenges that people with disabilities face every day. The program includes several hours of activities centered on empathetic understanding of physical, speech, hearing, vision and learning impairments. We want the students to remember that people should be respected no matter how they may look, act, walk, or talk.
The students will:
Participate in a wheelchair obstacle course
Wear goggles that simulate vision impairments
Speak with an electric larynx
Experience several reading disabilities
And much, much more.
Many volunteers are needed to make this field trip a success and ensure the 4th graders learn true empathy! Please consider sharing your time by volunteering for this AMAZING event. Click on the link below to sign up to volunteer!
Date: Friday, March 27: 12:15-2:15pm (volunteers arrive at 11:45am)
Math Course Skipping for the 2020-2021 School Year
This process will be for students in grades 2nd-7th. Parents of students in Kindergarten or 1st grade who have indications their child is possibly ready to skip a year of Math should contact the principal.
Before pursuing the opportunity to test-out of a course, students should achieve at least one of the following suggested criteria:
- Level 4 (Advanced Proficient) on M-STEP Math test from previous Spring (current 4th and 5th graders)
- Above grade-level proficiency indication from current year i-Ready diagnostic tests (Kindergarten - 5th grade)
Parents may sign up for this test ONLINE and we will have paper copies of the application in our main office. The ONLINE application is linked below. Parents must sign up their child to take the test no later than Thursday, March 26th.
Students will take the test after school on Thursday, April 23rd at Oakley Park in our computer lab.
Please see the links below for full details and directions as well as the application and if you have any questions, please contact your child's teacher or our office. You can also contact Mr. John Gregg-Math and Science Curriculum Developer for Walled Lake. His contact information is included in the Parent Letter below.
Wishing Mr. May all best!
M Step Testing for the 2019-2020 School Year
➔ 5th Grade - April 13th - May 8th
➔ 3rd & 4th Grades April 27th - May 22nd
Please avoid scheduling appointments or vacations during these testing windows. Absent students will be required to take make-up tests on alternate dates and miss classroom instruction. Teachers will provide more specific scheduling information as the testing window approaches. We appreciate your support!
Before and After School Security Protocols
Security Protocols for Before and After School Activities:
● Doors will not be unlocked at any time and should not be propped open at any time.
● Arrival for actvities beginning after our dismissal time (3:10)
- Coaches or instructors will meet students at the main entry and will escort their team or group to the gym or classroom.
- If your child is late, please call or text the coach or instructor. They will meet your child at the entrance. Please try to avoid late arrivals since this interrupts practice or class.
- Coaches or instructors will bring the group to the main entry at the end of practice/class. Parents will pick-up their child at the main entry. Doors will not be unlocked or propped open.
- If you need to pick-up your child early, please call or text the coach or instructor.
● Please do not use the PrimeTime Care entrance. This is for PTC families only.
● These protocols are for before/after school clubs, teams, troop meetings, classes, etc. Thank you for helping to keep our students safe. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our Main Office at 248-956-4100
Pokemon Cards, Rubix Cubes, Smart Watches…
● Trading cards (like Pokemon cards), rubix cubes, and other toys are not allowed at school unless specifically requested by the teacher for a special award day.
● Additionally, selling or trading items is not permitted at school.
● If your child has a smart watch (like an apple watch), please review expectations for wearing the watch during school. Students should not be texting parents during school hours. If they need to contact their parent/guardian, they can do so in the Main Office. If a child’s smart watch becomes a distraction, we’ll ask that it is stored in their backpack during the day.
We urge you to keep these items at home to prevent distractions and sad feelings should they go missing.
Girls on the Run: Grades 3rd - 5th
1. Understanding ourselves
2. Valuing relationships and teamwork
3. Recognizing how we can shape the world at large
The program culminates with the girls being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5k running event (to be held May 17, 2020 at Lake St. Clair Metropark)
Oakley Park has been so fortune to have teams for the past three years thanks to the leadership of parent, Elisabeth Lockwood.
We are looking for coaches for the spring 2020 season (which begins in March). The team typically meets after school two days per week. Ms, Lockwood has offered her support and guidance to the new coaches. Please email Mrs. Froning if you are interested in coaching! firstname.lastname@example.org
Once we have established our coached, team sign up information will be sent home.
Foundation for Excellence: 15th Annual Tuition Expedition 50/50 Scholarship Raffle
Chance to win BIG & support WL classrooms!
Purchase your Tuition Expedition 50/50 Scholarship Raffle tickets today! Raffle's proceeds are channeled into Walled Lake Schools' classrooms through Foundation’s annual mini-grant program (see list of grant awards per school). Tickets are $50 each or 3 for $100 (plus $2 convenience fee per $50). Only a 1,000 tickets are available for sale. Great Odds! Grand prize winner will receive scholarship funds for postsecondary education (40% lump sum option available). Plus, ticket purchasers have the chance to win a FREE raffle ticket courtesy of the WL School Emp. Fed. Credit Union and opportunity to win secondary prize; HP Sprocket 200 Bundle Media printer donated by the FFE. Grand Prize drawing is March 30, 2020 at District’s Reflections Celebration; need not be present to win. Visit the FFE’s TE raffle website for details or contact the Foundation for more info. and to purchase tickets with check or credit card: phone ext. 62116 or email email@example.com. MI Raffle License# R55190
Breakfast & Lunch Information
*Student purchasing breakfast may enter the building at 8:00. Or as soon as their bus arrives.
Please note: In the event of a snow day/school cancellation, the scheduled menu items shift to the following day. The menu for the remainder of the week remains the same.
Due to various circumstances, the menu is subject to change. Using the links below (or links through the Oakley Park website) you can access the most up to date menus.
Oakley Park School Times
Drop off begins: 7:55 AM
First Bell: 8:00 AM (Owl Drop off and walkers may enter the building)
Second Bell: 8:02 AM (buses release students)
Late Bell: 8:05 AM
Dismissal: 3:10 PM
Mrs. Kristin Froning, Principal
Mrs. Karen Clark, Principal's Secretary
Mrs. Kim Waling, Building Secretary
Main line 248-956-4100
Attendance line 248-956-4190
Fax line: 248-956-4105