Welcome to Coronado Middle School Dec. 16-19, 2019
Live the 8 Keys of Excellence
December- Key of the Month: SPEAK WITH GOOD PURPOSE
This week's mindset quote: “Sometimes it’s the words we choose not to say that speak most loudly about our character.”
It's Spirit Week
Monday, Dec. 16: Candy Cane Day! (Dress in red and white or red and green)
Tuesday, Dec 17: Holiday Hat Day!
Wednesday, Dec 18: Holiday Pajama Day!
Thursday, Dec 19: Ugly Sweater Day!
Dec 16-19 ASB Holiday Canned Food Drive
Dec 16 Homework Club 3:15- 4:15 pm
Boy Scouts Troop 801 5:30-8:30pm Granzer Hall
Dec 17 Band Choir Assembly 7th period
Homework Club 3:15- 4:15 pm
Garden Club 3:05-4:00 pm
Intermediate Performing Art Granzer at 6:00
Dec 18 Fantasy Book Club CMS Library 1:45-2:45 pm
Dec 19 PTO Holiday Luncheon
Kona Ice 2:00-4:00
Cotillion Granzer 7:30-8:30pm
NO HOMEWORK CLUB TODAY
Dec 20 No School
Dec 20- Jan 05 Winter Recess No School
School Resumes on January 6, 2020
HO HO HOLIDAY Canned Food Drive Canned Food Drive for our local San Diego Food Bank. Our ASB annual drive continues this week! Every year 40 million people go hungry in the U.S. including 12 million children. Last year, we raised over 4000 cans of food!
Each T3 class will be competing to see who can bring in the most canned food to win a breakfast party from ASB. Thank you for your donations.
Elise Agrella and Misty Kint: We wish our CMS Counselor, Elise Agrella, best wishes. She will be on maternity and family leave for the rest of the school year. We're happy to welcome back Ms. Misty Kint who served as CMS counselor in 2018. Ms. Kint has been working closely with Mrs. Agrella to ensure a smooth transition. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yearbook and 8th grade yearbook baby and friendship ads.
Order your Yearbooks and Ads! Yearbook prices go up and the deadline for ads is January 31st. Click on the links below!
Lost and Found Items: Items will be set out for students to claim during lunch this week. Parents are welcome to come by CMS to check the lost and found after school from 3:05p.m. – 3:30 p.m. On Thursday afternoon, all items will be packed up and donated to a shelter.
Messages from PTO
CMS PTO Holiday Luncheon & Gift Card Celebration It's Time for our Annual Holiday Luncheon for our Teachers and Staff!
Help us continue the great tradition of presenting a holiday meal & gift cards to our wonderful teachers and staff on Thursday, December 19th. Check out the sign up list below and help with a dish, drinks, decoration, a gift card or volunteering if you are able!! Please drop off all food items by 10:45am on December 19th.
- Monetary donations can be made through cash, check (CMS PTO) or Venmo (Bryn Reina@CMS-PTO). CMS Holiday Luncheon SignUpGenius Link
We appreciate all of our fabulous parents that make these luncheons possible!
Thank you in advance for your generosity!
Holiday Separation Tips for Military Families
Being away from loved ones during the holiday season can be agonizing and some families who are apart from their service member often experience additional feelings of loneliness, sadness, and frustration. While knowing that all of these feelings are normal and to be expected, here are some holiday tips to help during this season:
- As a family, write a handwritten letter to your service member including all the ways they are loved and appreciated. Encourage young children to express themselves by drawing pictures.
- Have your service member record a reading of a favorite holiday book/story and send it to your child.
- Stay in touch through email, skype, and social media.
- Assemble a special holiday care package for your service member including letters, photos, special treats, and small holiday decorations.
- Continue to keep up traditions and be open to creating new ones. (Remember, maintaining consistency and structure can especially help younger children.)
- Rejuvenate emotionally by getting involved in volunteer opportunities in the community.
- Visit family or friends during holidays to surround yourself with loved ones.
- Have a potluck party with other deployed families.
- Include your service member in your holiday greeting card. Have service member take a picture with “Seasons” and the rest of the family with “Greetings” and combine for a special holiday card to share.
- Open gifts over video chat and make it a virtual holiday.
- Seek out special events in the community- tree lightings, caroling adventures, cookie exchanges.
- Flexible holiday dates- some families save holiday celebrations for when deployed service member returns.
Should you be interested in additional support, your Military and Family Life Counselor (MFLC), Lisa Poli, is onsite and available.
Mark your calendar for upcoming dates:
January: Failure Leads to Success
Jan 6 School resumes
Jan 7 SAFE Outreach 11:45-1:15pm Granzer Hall
Jan 9 Cotillion Granzer 7:39-8:30pm
Jan 13 Junior Optimist Meeting 3:15 pm - 3:45 pm Room 201
Jan 14 Medieval Times - 7th grade field trip
Jan 15 PTO Afternoon Pick Me Up coffee & treats 1:30 pm
Fantasy Book Club CMS Library 1:45-2:45 pm
Jan 16 End of Semester 1
PTO Meeting CMS Library 9:00 am
Jan 17 Teacher Work Day/ NO STUDENT DAY
Jan 18 Pinewood Derby and Cub Scout Pack 122, Granzer Hall 7:30-3:30pm
Jan 20 No School Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Jan 21 Semester 2 Begins
8th gr. CoSA preview period 7
Jan 27-31 Kindness Week
Jan 27-Feb 13 Pasta for Pennies Drive
Jan 23 Disney for Beginning Band & Choir leave at 7:00 am return at 7:00 pm
Cotillion Granzer 7:30-8:30 pm
Jan 24 Kona Ice 2:00-4:00 pm
Jan 25 Saturday School 8-12 pm
Jan 26 Adrenaline Islander Invitation Lacrosse, 8:00-4:00 pm Cutler
Jan 27 - Feb 13 Pasta for Pennies
Jan 27- Jan 31 Great Kindness Challenge
Jan 27 Choice Begins
Jan 28 Disney for Advanced Band & APA at 7:00 am return at 7:00 pm
School Site Council Meeting Conference Rm 3:20-4:20
SAFE Outreach 11:45-1:15pm Granzer Hall
Jan 29 Fantasy Book Club CMS Library 1:45-2:45 pm
Jan 30 LATE START THURSDAY 10 am
CMS Spelling Bee 3:15 pm Granzer Hall
Coronado SAFE-5:00-7:30PM Library