Lion's Mane (Parent Edition)
Your home for MHS news & events. Volume 27
Round 1 of Testing is done!
Thank you to those impacted by testing last week. Many of your children participated in the English I, English II, or AP Mock Exams. I was impressed at how flexible your students were in adapting to the revised schedule. This week we return to our regularly scheduled programming. The next round of testing will be the first week of May.
The McKinney High School
19 Gold Medals
11 Silver Medals
16 Bronze Medals
Tons of hugs!
Thank you to all of our participants and the various students groups that supported our Special Olympians.
College 101 for 9th and 10th Grade Families
MEF is hosting a presentation for 9th and 10th grade families that will focus on how to prepare for the college admissions and financial aid processes. The presentation will be on Monday, April 11th in the McKinney North cafeteria and will begin at 6:30pm. All freshman and sophomore families from the district are welcome.
It is hard to believe we are making plans for next school year and that includes student course registration. Your student will receive their course request verifications during third period on Monday, April 11th in their 3rd period class. Any changes will require a parent signature.
Remember course requests are not final and may change based on the number of students who request a particular course. Please don't hesitate to contact your child's counselor if you have any questions. A call out will go out to parents on Sunday, April 10th as a reminder.
AP Summer Reading
MHS Students doing Great Things
Please join me in congratulating the following two young ladies from the MHS Women’s Varsity Basketball Team:
Josselyne Orbegoso – TGCA Academic All-State
Quincy Noble – TGCA All-State Team
Congrats to Reed McDonald for committing to Wayland Baptist to play baseball in college.
UIL District meet results (an asterisk denotes advancing to regionals April 22-23):
Computer Science: Coach Theresa Horvath
5th Liam Landrum
Ready Writing: Coaches Alyssa Boehringer and Lori Oglesbee
1st Neelam Bohra*
2nd Udani Satarasinghe*
1st Place Journalism Team: Coaches Alyssa Boehringer and Lori Oglesbee
News Writing: Coaches Alyssa Boehringer and Lori Oglesbee
1st Neelam Bohra*
3rd Udani Satarasinghe*
6th Jessica Vigil
Feature Writing: Coaches Alyssa Boehringer and Lori Oglesbee
2nd Jessica Vigil*
4th Nicole Stuessy
Editorial Writing: Coaches Alyssa Boehringer and Lori Oglesbee
1st Udani Satarasinghe*
2nd Johnny Millar*
Headline Writing: Coaches Alyssa Boehringer and Lori Oglesbee
1st Nicole Stuessy*
6th Udani Satarasinghe
Copy Editing: Coaches Alyssa Boehringer and Lori Oglesbee
4th Johnny Millar
Number Sense: Coach Ryan Newhouse
2nd Place Team (could wildcard to regional meet)
6th Liam Landrum
Current Issues and Events: Coaches Mark Bayer and Richard McGowan
1st Place Team*
1st Tom McGowan*
5th Roxana Farokhnia*
6th Micha Wallesen*
Computer Applications: Coach Theresa Horvath
3rd Eric Beights*
Literary Criticism: Coach Carol Winters
1st Place Team*
1st Sam Hyden*
2nd Isabel Kilroy*
4th Megan Lafferty*
6th Therese Camaligan*
Mathematics: Coach Ryan Newhouse
4th Alec Weigel
6th Liam Landrum
Persuasive Extemporaneous Speaking: Coach Kelly Mader
4th Justin Burch
5th Riley Milliken
Informative Extemporaneous Speaking: Coach Kelly Mader
4th Mickey Bilyeu
Great job to the all of the UIL participants and coaches.
Boys Soccer Advances
Your MHS Boys Soccer team advanced to the Region II Quarterfinals with a great 2-1 victory over Dallas Hillcrest. The Lions will play against Frisco Wakeland on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at Richardson's Eagle-Mustang Stadium. Keep the momentum going boys!
MHS CHOIRS PRESENT UIL CONCERT MUSIC
- 4/4 - 4/5 Girls Golf, The Courses at Watters Creek, 8:00 am (Away)
- 4/4 Yoga Club, K100 @ 2:40
- 4/5 Golden Ambassadors, B112 @ 7:30 or 2:30
- 4/5 Algebra 1 Lunch Time/Crunch Time Calculator Tutorials, Upstairs Flex @ 10:00
- 4/5 UIL Choir Concert, First Baptist Church @ 7:00
- 4/5 Softball vs. Denison @ 7:00 (Home)
- 4/5 Baseball vs. Denison @ 7:30 (Home)
- 4/6 District 10-5A Track Meet @ 8:00 am (Away)
- 4/6 Key Club, Downstairs Flex @ 2:30
- 4/6 NHS Induction, Auditorium @ 7:00 pm
- 4/7 District 10-5A Track Meet @ 10:00 am (Away)
- 4/7 Algebra 1 Lunch Time/Crunch Time Calculator Tutorials, Upstairs Flex @ 10:00
- 4/7 Jesus Christ Movement Club, E214 @ 2:30
- 4/7 Cosmetology Information Meeting, Mane Street Salon @ 5:30
- 4/7 Basketball Banquet, Cafeteria
- 4/7 Wrestling Club, M211 @ 6:00
- 4/7 Poetry Slam, Downstairs Flex Space @ 6:00
- 4/8 Softball vs. Sherman @ 7:00 (Away)
- 4/8 Baseball vs. Sherman @ 7:30 (Away)
- 4/9 Mock AP Exam, Upstairs Flex @ 7:30 am
On March 17, the MISD Board of Trustees unanimously approved projects to be included in a bond program that will go before voters on May 7, 2016.
The proposed bond package would allow for a decrease in the tax rate by 2 cents, due to an increase in the tax base and retiring of old debt. The $220 million bond program includes district-wide safety and security enhancements, technology, facility renovations and upgrades at 21 campuses, fine arts additions and a new stadium and event center. The Project Kids advisory group, comprised of over 100 parents, teachers, administrators, students and community members made the recommendation based upon a district facilities assessment, demographic projections, and other data.
Early voting begins Monday, April 25 and extends through Tuesday, May 3. Election Day is Saturday, May 7. Voting locations include the Collin County Elections Office and all five MISD middle schools (Cockrill, Dowell, Evans, Faubion and Scott Johnson). For more information about the bond and to view architectural images of the new facilities including the proposed MHS auditorium and the new multi-purpose stadium, please click here:http://www.mckinneyisd.net/about/2016bond/
POTENTIAL MHS SPECIFIC BOND PROJECTS
MHS specific bond items:
Additional Security Cameras
• AED Replacement
• “One-to-the-World” Equipment
• Classroom, Instructional & Infrastructure Technology
• New Auditorium and Fine Arts Spaces
• Black Box Theatre Renovation
• Fine Arts Uniform Refresh
• Fine Arts Instrument Refresh
• New Auxiliary Gymnasium
• Natatorium Upgrades to Include: Lockers, Locker Room Finishes, Locker Room Equipment, Filtration System
• Athletic Equipment Replacements to Include: Volleyball Standards, Track Equipment, Wrestling Equipment, Scoreboards, Weight Room Equipment, Helmets
• Wall Upgrade in Multi-Purpose Building
• Indoor Field Turf Replacement
• New Turf Installation, Softball Field
• Track Resurfacing
Lost and Found
Safety and Security
- Parents, as a reminder, please be prepared to show your ID when entering the building (even for those we recognize).
- We will only release your child to who is listed in eSchool & Hall Pass, this includes having lunch with your child.
How to stay connected
- Lion's Mane (Parent Edition) every Monday
- MHS Facebook page
- MHS Twitter page
- Remind 101 (text @themck to 81010)
- MHS Webpage (although this is not updated as quickly as other methods)
- Phone Callouts
If for some reason you are not receiving MHS information in your preferred medium, please email me at email@example.com. I want you to be informed in a timely manner about all things MHS.