P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
October 24th to October 28th
A Message from Mrs. Figueroa...
🍁Thank you to all who came out last Saturday for the Fall Family Day! The event was a huge success!
📸School pictures are October 24th and October 26th. Send in your forms to order your school pictures!
🗨Happy Diwali to those celebrate-may the festival of lights bring you joy, happiness, and prosperity!
📚We will be having Book of the Month assemblies to highlight our Book of the Month and Value of the Month. Ask your children about it. This will be the first week of each month.
🚩Middle School Application will open on October 26th.
🌌PTA is sponsoring Mobile Ed's Planetarium on Thursday and Friday. All of our students will be able to participate in a 45-minute planetarium presentation with "under the stars."
💭Student Diversity, Equity and Inclusion group will meet on Friday, October 28th at 7:30 a.m. in the Library. We have 33 students signed up!
🎃Halloween parades will be at 9 a.m. in both schoolyards. Please see letter below.
📅November 3rd is a half day and dismissal will begin at 11:15 a.m. Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held on November 3rd virtually.
A Few Reminders:
📑 We will have an informational an evening meeting on Monday, October 24th from 7:00-8:00 p.m. The link will be emailed to 5th grade families. This is the same meeting that was on October 21st.
🎃October 28th will be P.S. 188Q's Annual PreK and Kindergarten Pumpkin Patch at the Annex.
Thank you for your continued support. Reach out if you have any concerns or questions:
🏫Middle School Information Sessions
Here is the information for the Department of Education Admissions information sessions:
All NYC families of current fifth-grade students are invited to join us for a live virtual information session about applying to middle school. After the presentation, we’ll respond to your questions. Each event will be virtual, so you can join from anywhere!
During each online event, we will discuss:
- How to access your MySchools.nyc account. MySchools is the Department of Education’s online school directory and application system.
- How to learn about your child’s middle school options.
- How to apply and how offers are made.
The content of each event is the same, but different interpretation services will be provided at different events, as follows:
- October 27, 5pm to 6pm | Event held in English. Interpretation provided in: Bengali, Korean, Spanish
- October 28, 1pm to 2pm | Event held in English. Interpretation provided in: Arabic, French, Russian
- November 1, 5pm to 6pm | Event held in English. Interpretation provided in: Chinese (Mandarin), Haitian Creole, Urdu
How to join:
- Each event will be hosted live. Join us on Zoom at the event’s start time here by clicking here: bit.ly/2022FallMSEvents.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Check your email or schools.nyc.gov/Middle two business days before the event: we’ll send you a message that includes this same Zoom link and the password that you’ll need to join, as well as phone numbers to call for interpretation in provided languages.
Can’t attend, or want to learn more?
- Visit schools.nyc.gov/Middle. A captioned recording with translations will be available on our website two weeks after the first event.
Thank YOU from the PTA!😍
Thank you so much to all of our volunteers, parents and school staff for making Fall Family Day 2022 a huge success!
We could not have asked for a better weather day to have our first PTA fundraiser of the school year.
We have so many events coming up within the next few weeks - trips to the Morgan Library for our 4th and 5th graders, Skydome Planetarium for all students, picture day, pumpkin patch in the Annex, Scholastic Book Fair.....
If you have ANY questions about the PTA, volunteering, anything else, do not hesitate to reach out! email@example.com
Thank you again!
📸Picture Day Schedule
Fall Family Day Sponsored by P.S. 188Q PTA
Enter NYC Respect for All Essay and Poster Contest--Submit by November 4th to Mrs. Nartowicz
Book of the Month
- October 24th: Picture Day in the Main Building and Annex (schedule will be sent home); Middle School Information Session via Zoom 7:00-8:00 p.m.
- October 26th: Picture Day in the Main Building (schedule will be sent home); Middle School Application OPENS
- October 27th: PTA Sponsored Mobile Ed Planetarium in the gymnasium for all students
- October 28th: DEI Student Group with Mrs. Figueroa at 7:30 a.m.; PTA Sponsored Mobile Ed Planetarium in the gymnasium for all students; Pumpkin Patch at Annex for PreK and Kindergarten students
- October 31st: Halloween Parade 9:00 a.m. in school yards
- November 1st: Morgan Library in-classroom session for 4-313; 4-317; 4-318
- November 2nd: Morgan Library in-classroom session for 5-304; 4-316; 5-301; Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa and Mrs. Nartowicz @ 10 a.m. via Zoom; SLT Meeting TBA
- November 3rd 1/2 day of school- students dismissed by 11:20 a.m.; Parent Teacher Conferences via Zoom 12:20-2:20 p.m. and 4:30-7:00 p.m.
- November 4th: Morgan Library in-classroom session for 5-303 and 5-302
- November 8th: Election Day- Students do not attend school; DESSA administration begins; PTA Sponsored Bake Sale
- November 11th: No School Veteran's Day
- November 15th: Parent DEI Meeting @ 9:30 a.m. virtually
- November 16th: PTA Meeting Virtual 7:00 p.m.
- November 18th: Student DEI group meeting @ 7:30 a.m. in Library
- November 24th-25th: Thanksgiving Break
- November 29th and 30th: Scholastic Book Fair
- December 6th Parent DEI Committee Meeting @ 9:30 a.m.
- December 7th SLT Meeting TBA
- December 16th Student DEI group meeting @ 7:30 a.m. in Library