Global Waste Crisis
What Can We Do?
Facts and Statistics
- Waste will up by 70% by 2025
- Humans throw away 1.25 million tonnes of waste each day
- 1.4 million children die each day from poor sanitation diseases (one child every 20 seconds).
- 2.6 billion people don't have proper sanitation.
Waste in East Africa
Look at all the trash people live in; we can help clean that up!
This is solid waste in an open sewer in Zambia; again, we can help clean this up!
Drought/ Trash in Kenya
You can see that there is little water flowing, if we infer correctly, you can see that there is a lot of trash around the water, so the more trash there is, the less water the people get. We can help the people get back water and reduce the trash/ waste build up.
Facts about India
- Top country without proper sanitation is India.
- India alone costs $54 billion for poor sanitation
- To build public toilets in India, it will cost them $1.6 billion
Facts about Kenya
- They have sanitation departments, but a lot of their equipment doesn't work properly.
- In Kenya, they use plastic bags as toilets, this is called "flying toilets"
- Their sanitation get worse as the years go on.