The Role of Minority Military Units
African Americans generally served in segregated military units and were assigned to noncombat roles but demanded the right to serve in combat rather than support roles.
All-Minority Military Units
- The Tuskegee Airmen was a unit made up of African Americans that served in Europe.
- Nisei regiments were units of Asian Americans that earned a high number of decorations.
Additional Contributions of Minorities
- Navajo code talkers were used because they had an oral, unwritten language; it was impossible for the Japanese to break their codes.
- Mexican Americans also fought, but in nonsegregated units.
- Minority units suffered high casualties and won numerous unit citations and individual medals for bravery in action.