Advisor Update September 2019
2019-2020 State Officers
Congratulations to the 2019-2020 State Officers. I look forward to their leadership this year.
- President: Nadia Lawrence from Breithaupt Career and Technical Center, Advisor – Maria Sullivan
Vice President: Kyle Lewandowski from Bay Arenac ISD Career Center, Advisor – Dave Urlaub
- Secretary: D'Naughtia Curry from Oakland Schools Technical Center NE Campus, Advisor – Juwan Willis
- Treasurer: Karrissa Zerod from Bay Arenac ISD Career Center, Advisor – Dave Urlaub
- Reporter: Blake Brannam from Eaton RESA Career Preparation Center, Advisor – MaryEllen Brocklehurst
- Parliamentarian: Corey Haney from Breithaupt Career and Technical Center, Advisor – Maria Sullivan
- Chairperson of Community Service: Aracely Hernandez-Ramos from Oakland Schools Technical Center NE Campus, Advisor – Juwan Willis
- Chairperson of Public Relations: Natalie Wallas from Eaton RESA Career Preparation Center, Advisor – MaryEllen Brocklehurst
- Chairperson of Social Activities: Mackenzie Moore from Genesee Career Institute, Advisors – Lori Horcha and Carrie Warning
- Chairperson of Ways and Means: Sam Anderson from Oakland Schools Technical Center SW Campus, Advisor – Steven Machley
The State Officers have already met several times this year for training and to prepare for the Fall Leadership Conference. In July, they traveled to Lansing to meet with legislators from the Michigan House Education Committee and the Michigan Talent Investment Agency. They also participated in a Community Service Project at Haven House. More photos of all these events are posted at https://www.facebook.com/miskillsusa/.
SkillsUSA Michigan at 2019 National Conference
SkillsUSA Michigan had great showing at the 2019 National Leadership and Skills Conference held on June 24-29, 2019 in Louisville, KY. SkillsUSA Michigan was represented by 210 students, advisors, and guests from 37 High School and College/Postsecondary chapters. SkillsUSA Michigan received a total of 28 medals, including 8 national champions.
SkillsUSA School Logo
Get your own SkillsUSA logo! All chapters are now able to make a customized SkillsUSA logo for their school at the SkillsUSA Brand Center: http://skillsusabrandcenter.org/
The same graphic standards apply as for the national and state logos. The standards are spelled out at http://www.skillsusa.org/about/history-brand-resources/logos-and-graphic-standards/. Please refer to this document for further details on the permitted uses.
Community Service Projects
Have your chapter’s Community Service Project highlighted in the SkillsUSA Michigan newsletter and on the SkillsUSA Michigan web site! Send a short summary of your project and any photo(s) to email@example.com. Your Community Service Project will be added to the next newsletter and posted on our web site and Facebook page for all to see!
2019-2020 Competition Theme
The SkillsUSA competition theme for the 2019-2020 year is SkillsUSA: Champions at Work, I'm Ready. This is the theme for the Chapter Display, Prepared Speech and Promotional Bulletin Board contests. More information is available at http://www.skillsusa.org/about/theme/.
2019-2020 Membership Dues
- Student: $14.00 = $8.00 (national) and $6.00 (state)
- Professional: $26.00 = $20.00 (national) and $6.00 (state). Reminder - All advisors MUST be professional members of SkillsUSA in order for their students to participate in any SkillsUSA activities!
2019-2020 Membership Kits
All advisors with members last year should have received the 2019-2020 membership kit in the mail by now. If you did not receive a membership kit, please let me know and I will have one sent to you.
2019-2020 Membership Registration Deadlines
November 15, 2019 is the deadline for your initial membership registration to be submitted to the National Office to be able to receive all four issues of Champions Magazine and free teacher items. All rosters are to be submitted online at http://www.skillsusa-register.org/. Schools are encouraged join by November 15, 2019 in order to ensure full membership services for the year.
January 15, 2020 is the deadline for your final membership registration to be submitted to the National Office. All students must be paid members of SkillsUSA Michigan by January 15, 2019 in order to participate in regional, state and national competitions and/or conferences. If you have any questions/concerns about this deadline, please contact me!
All membership registrations must be submitted online at http://www.skillsusa-register.org/. Paper rosters are discouraged. Please make sure that all membership checks are sent directly to the National Office. When registering, be sure to also register your section under the specific program name, not just Mixed Training. This information is very helpful to the national office in determining what programs are at what schools.
SkillsUSA Michigan is encouraging each chapter to increase their membership this year. Each chapter that submits their membership by the due date listed below will qualify for the following incentive(s). Membership must be submitted online at www.skillsusa-register.org by the due dates in order to meet the requirements.
State Incentive: Membership Increase by January 15, 2020
- For every five member increase over last year’s membership, the chapter will receive one entry into the drawing for a SkillsUSA blazer, a $99 value.
- Both student and professional members are included in the chapter’s total membership.
- Drawing will be held at the State Leadership and Skills Conference in April.
National Incentive: Membership Submitted by November 15, 2019
- As a special membership incentive, register at least 15 student members in your training program plus one or more professionals by Nov. 15, and you will receive a free educational resource item, Critical Thinking at Work (value $9.95).
- Instructors who register with 100% membership plus one or more professionals will also receive a SkillsUSA Program of Work calendar (value: $5.95).
2019 New Advisor Workshop
SkillsUSA Michigan is pleased to offer assistance in establishing your chapter by holding a New Advisor Workshop on October 8, 2019, at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti. This workshop is for teachers who have been a SkillsUSA advisor for 2 years or less. There is a $40.00 registration fee per participant. The fee will cover lunch, materials, useful resources for new chapters. Register on our web site at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/. Space is limited so please register ASAP!
2019 Fall Leadership and Professional Development Conference
The Fall Leadership and Professional Development Conference is a great way to kick off your year and to motivate your members to have a great year with SkillsUSA Michigan. The conference is a combination of team building activities and breakout sessions on SkillsUSA with special professional development sessions specifically for advisors. The early registration fee for the conference is $35.00 per participant (students and advisors) and includes registration materials, and lunch.
The Fall Leadership Conference is November 4, 2019 at the Lansing Center in Lansing. Registration is as follows. More information is available at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/. Faxed or mailed forms will not be accepted!
- Regular Registration deadline – October 7, 2019
- Late Registration deadline – October 21, 2019
FLC State Officer Assistants
Students that have at least one full year remaining in their career & technical training program and are interested in running for state office for the 2020-2021 school year are invited to assist at the Fall Leadership Conference. This opportunity will give the state officer assistants a chance to see what is involved in being a state officer. If you have an interested student, please register them as a state officer assistant and more information will be sent to you.
State officer assistants:
- Will assist the current state officers in one of the morning breakout sessions.
- Will have the opportunity to eat lunch and talk with the current state officers.
- Must wear official dress.
Advisor Welcome Back Letter and Information Form
All active advisors will receive a Welcome Back letter and an Advisor Information Form in the US mail in September. Please review your Advisor Information Form for accuracy, make any corrections and fax it back to the state office this month. This form is also available on our web site at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/. Be sure we have your correct email address! Over 95% of our communication will be submitted electronically via email and the Internet.
Advisor Mentoring Program
SkillsUSA Michigan is looking for experienced advisors who are willing serve as a mentor to a new SkillsUSA advisor. The mentor will assist the new advisor with understanding SkillsUSA polices, events and activities. The mentor's role includes:
- Talking to the new advisor by phone at least once each month.
- Answer questions regarding SkillsUSA and their program.
- Visiting the new advisor's school at least once.
- Providing the new advisor with an opportunity to visit your school.
- Assist the new advisor with registrations and due dates.
- Assist the new advisor with all necessary paperwork.
- Assist the new advisor with the Regional, State and National Conferences.
- Provide input and structure for the continuation of the program.
Interested individuals should complete the Advisor Mentoring Program Form and return it to the state office. The list of mentors will be posted on our web site. More information is available on our web site at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/.
2019-2020 Technical Standards
The 2019-2020 Technical Standards are free with your professional membership. They will be available online in October and once you join as a professional member, you will receive a code via email from the National Office in order to access them.
2020 Technical Committee Nomination Form
All advisors must have a business and industry sponsor to serve as a member of a technical committee. This is in an effort to get more business and industry representatives on the technical committees. While this policy has been in place for new advisors since 2008, this is now required for ALL advisors. ALL advisors will need to re-apply every year. The 2020 membership form is due no later than September 27, 2019 and is posted on our web site at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/.
Advisor Manual Inserts
The 2019-2020 Advisor Manual inserts will be sent to all Lead Advisors that had a SkillsUSA Michigan chapter last year. The inserts cover all SkillsUSA Michigan information your school will need for the coming school year. It is also available on our web site at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/. Please replace the old pages with the new ones!
2020 Intent to Compete Form
If your school intends to compete in 2020, please fill out the 2020 Intent to Compete form! This form is a critical component of the planning and scheduling of regional and state competitions. The deadline is October 31, 2019. This form is now electronic and failure to return this form via email by the due date may result in your school not being allowed to compete in some events, or some events not being offered on the regional and/or state level. It is available on our web site at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/.
A SkillsUSA Michigan member will be selected to sing the National Anthem acapella at the Friday Opening General Session on April 17, 2020 at the State Conference. Interested members must submit an audition file of them singing the National Anthem in order to be considered. Student must be a current member of SkillsUSA Michigan and must pay the State Conference registration fee. Only individual entries are allowed, no groups.
All audition files must be posted via the online form available at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/ no later than January 10, 2020. Audition files received after this date will not be considered.
SkillsUSA Michigan reserves the right to not have a student sing the National Anthem if it is deemed that there are no qualified entries submitted by the due date.