September 1, 2017
We survived the first week of school!
Overall, we had a wonderful return to school from the school's standpoint! Thank you to our new families and 2nd grade families for quickly learning new procedures and safety rules. We have students who go various places in the afternoon and it is the job of school staff members to ensure student safety at all times. Please make sure that you adhere to our procedures so we can have a smooth dismissal. Here are some reminders:
- Our car rider line is quicker each day and in a few days we will meet our goal of 2:45.
- Thank you for having your orange card displayed in your car window each day.
- If the orange card is forgotten, then the adult will be asked to park. They will need to go to the main office and show ID. Please make sure to share this procedure with anyone new that you are sending to pick up your child. Also make sure that the person you send is listed on your child's pick up list.
- Students will start helping with car duty soon. In the morning if your child gets out of the car on the driver's side, then the student on car duty will not open the car door. We also ask that your child walk in front of your car since you will be more aware of your personal child's location than another parent.
- Even though there is room, please DO NOT pass a car in the car rider line since some students will exit on the driver's side of the car.
- Students are walkers if they are physically walking off of our campus with their parent/guardian. You could be walking home or down Main Street to the library but your car should not be parked on our campus. This is to limit the congestion at the gym door and to ensure that our staff members on duty can quickly begin the afternoon dismissal procedures.
- Parents who park in the lower school parking lot or by the cafeteria and try to pick up as a 'walker' will be asked to join the car rider line.
- Thank you for your patience as our bus drivers are working towards consistent pick up and drop off times. Remember that we share buses with Weaverville Primary School, North Windy Ridge and North Buncombe Middle School. If you have a bus concern, your first contact should be to Weaverville Elementary so we can address your concern and coordinate with the other schools if needed.
- We are working to create separate bus rider lists in our phone messaging system so we do not have to call all of our parents if there is a bus delay.
Changes in Transportation
- Please remember that we do not take Transportation changes over the phone. If you have an emergency, we will initiate a phone call back to your number that we have on file in the office so we can verify who we are speaking with.
- If you need to change your child's transportation, please send in a note with your child's first and last name and a detail description of the change. This may include the bus number and/or address of the drop off location or the full name of the child they are going home with. All notes are reviewed and approved in the office.
If you have 'liked' our Facebook page, then you have noticed that we like to post pictures of our leaders! If you do not want us to use your child's likeness, please refer to the Student-Parent Handbook & complete the required request to 'opt-out'.
Don't forget that we do not have school on Monday, September 4 due to the Labor Day Holiday.
Weaverville Elementary School Improvement Team
Weaverville Elementary Advisory Council
A note from Weaverville Schools PTO
Dear PTO Parents:
Happy First Week of School! I trust that all of you have had a smooth transition back into the school "groove" and that your children are enjoying new classes, friends, and teachers.
Our first PTO meeting of the school year will be held on Tuesday, September 12 at 8:15am at Weaverville Elementary School in the Media Center. (Please note that our standard meeting schedule is the first Tuesday of the month, but with the Labor Day holiday, we are pushing it back one week.) All meetings this semester will be held at WES and meetings next semester will move to the primary school. The mission of Weaverville PTO is:
To promote the welfare of children and youth in Weaverville Elementary School (WES) and Weaverville Primary School (WPS) and the community by assisting in the education of our children, raising funds for the enhancement of the school budgets, and cooperating with other non-profit organizations and agencies with similar goals and objectives.
We have a history of tremendous parent support through our PTO and I know this year will be no exception. If monthly meetings are not a good fit for you, there are a variety of ways to stay engaged and active in the work of this organization and to become better connected to our schools. There are at-home projects as well as activities that allow you to work around a professional schedule if that is what you need and/or prefer. Just be on the lookout for communication about all of the great opportunities coming home in backpacks soon...and, of course, please reach out to me if you have any questions or feedback on how to make our collective efforts even better!
I look forward to having you all join us for our kickoff meeting on Sept. 12th. Let's fill that media center room to capacity and show the children and staff how grateful and excited we are for the 2017-18 school year. You'll even meet some awesome new parents. It's going to be...as my boys like to say...EPIC!
Meredith Switzer, M.Ed.
PTO President, Weaverville Schools
Mark your calendars for these important events!
September 4 - Labor Day - No School
September 5 - Bus safety drills for morning bus riders
September 5 - School Improvement Team Meeting at 2:45 in Media Center
September 12 - PTO Meeting at 8:15 AM in WvES Media Center
September 14 - Beginning of Grade 3 Test for 3rd graders (BOGs)
September 21 - Early Release Day - School will dismiss at 12:25
September 26 - Health Fair
September 28 - WvES Advisory Council Meeting at 8:30 AM
September 28 - School Improvement Team Meeting at 2:45 in Media Center
October 2 - Fun Run Kickoff (more info to come!)
October 9 - No School - Teacher Work Day
October 11 - Fall Pictures
October 12 - Blackhawk Fun Run sponsored by PTO