By Josh McGady
What is an Eating disorder
Eating disorders like such as anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating include extreme emotions, attitudes, and behaviors about weight and food. Eating disorders are serious emotional, mental and physical problems that can have life-threatening endings.
General Eating Disorder Statistiscs
- It is estimated that 4% of anorexic individuals die from complications of the disease
- Only one third of individuals struggling with anorexia nervosa in the United States obtain treatment.
- Eating disorders are a daily struggle for 10 million females and 1 million males in the United States.
- 2.7% of teens, ages 13-18 years old, struggle with an eating disorder
Male and Female Statistics
- .9% of women will have anorexia in their lifetime
- 1.5% of women will have bulimia in their lifetime
- 3.5% of women will have binge eating
- 3% of men will have anorexia
- .5% of men have with bulimia
- 2% of men have with binge eating disorder