The Heron Nest
Hillcrest Family Newletter | February 2023
Feb. 7: PTA Meeting | 3:45 PM | HCE Library
Feb. 10: Parent-Teacher Conferences | NO SCHOOL
Feb. 14: Election Day
Feb. 17: Popcorn Friday
Feb. 20: Presidents Day | NO SCHOOL |
Feb. 21-22: Pacific Science Center's Science on Wheels
Feb 24: STEM Family Night | 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Mar. 1: First Grade Musical Performance | 6:30 PM | HCE Gym
From The Principal's Desk
February may be a short month, but at Hillcrest, it's packed full of celebrations, learning, and celebrations of learning! Here are just a few of the activities, lessons, and discussions our students, staff, and families have the opportunity to engage in this month:
- STEM Night
- The 100th Day of School
- Pacific Science Center Visit
- Valentine's Day
- President's Day
- Black History Month
In addition, Hillcrest continues to care for our Oak Harbor community. We celebrate our certification as a National Kindness School and our 100 Days 100 Ways to Care Collection Drive.
Finally, we will celebrate and share student learning during our Parent-Teacher Conferences. We are so grateful to have such engaged and caring parents, and our teachers are excited to meet with you this month!
As always, thank you for supporting your child, our staff, and our school.
Be Sure to Sign Up for Parent Teacher Conferences
Parent-teacher conferences are Friday, Feb. 10. During conferences, there will be no school for students, but students are encouraged to attend these meetings with their parents.
Parents will use Family Access (Skyward) to schedule a parent-teacher conference with their child's teacher(s). Scheduling remains open until Thursday, Feb. 9 at 4 PM. Please contact your child's school if you need to schedule a conference after the conference scheduler is closed. As a reminder, we encourage families to contact teachers throughout the school year to check in on their child's progress. For more on Skyward Conference Scheduler, view the embedded video below.
Join Us for Hillcrest S.T.E.M Family Night!
- NASA Astronaut Heide Stefanyshyn-Piper
Hands-on Family STEM Challenge Stations
Wildcats Robotics Station
NAS Whidbey Robotics Station
OHHS Drone Club
Green Screen Studio
...and so much more!
We look forward to hosting you and your family on Friday, Feb. 24 from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM!
Hillcrest Recognized As A Kindness Certified School
Would you like to take on the Great Kindness Challenge Family Version? Download the checklist here.
100 Days - 100 Ways To Care
Pacific Science Center to visit Hillcrest—your PTA Dollars at Work!
Thanks to generous funding provided by our out-of-this-world PTA, the Pacific Science Center's Education on Wheels Department presents two full days of its amazing Space Odyssey Program complete with two pop-up planetariums! The Science on Wheels Program visit takes place throughout Feb. 20 and 21.
Whole School Assembly: Help our astronaut-in-training prepare for a trip to the moon! This assembly takes off with a mind-blowing demonstration about balloons in the vacuum of space. Contemplate the real size of the moon and investigate astronomy tools like spectroscopes and telescopes.
Interactive Pop-Up Exhibits: Herons will explore meteorites, constellations, and Jupiter’s storms. They get to be an astronomer while manipulating a robot arm or looking at the surface of Mars. What would the Big Dipper look like from the other side of the universe? How much do you weigh on Venus? Find out answers to these questions and more when Space Odyssey visits!
- Grades K-2: Lighten Up, Up in the Sky
- Grades 3-5: Star Search, Plan It: Mars
Want to volunteer to help? Sign up here: Hillcrest PTA: Pacific Science Center Visit (signupgenius.com)
VALENTINE LUV BIRDS & LUV BUGS
PTA "LUV" FUNDRAISER SALES
- Monday 2.6 | 11:00 AM -1:00 PM
- Tuesday 2.7 | 11:00 AM -1:00 PM
- Wednesday 2.8 | 8:30 AM - 9:00 AM | 11:00 AM -1:00 PM | 2:30 PM - 3:00 PM
- Thursday 2.9 | 8:30 AM - 9:00 AM | 11:00 AM -1:00 PM | 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Monday 2.13 | 8:30 AM - 9:00 AM | 11:00 AM -1:00 PM | 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
The PTA would "love" some volunteer help during this time. Click this link to sign up! Hillcrest PTA: Luv Bug Sales! (signupgenius.com)
What's Happening in the HCE Library?
- Our third graders are busy reading the 2023 Washington State Library Association's Otter Award nominees. Research shows that often many students struggle to make the transition from picture books & beginner readers to longer, more complex chapter books. The result: they stop reading. The Otter Award books ponder a solution to solve that problem. With a short list of nominees – six titles per year – and titles that include traits that support transitional readers (font size, line spacing, white space, meaningful illustrations, etc.). Students have access to titles that are developmentally appropriate for their reading needs which allows them to gain confidence to pursue more complex chapter books.
- Does your child have a tablet available at home? If so, did you know they can download free digital and audiobooks from Sno-Isle Libraries with the Libby App? Check out this video for details on downloading the Libby App. Here's more information on how to get a library card for Sno-Isle as well.
- The February Spotlight Bookshelves in the Hillcrest library features a variety of books in honor of Black History Month. Ms. Trueman will also read some of the choices to students during their weekly library visits this month.
Vision and Hearing Screenings
February Focus: Honesty
Through our PurposeFull People curriculum, students participate in monthly lessons and activities focusing on character traits, including courage, respect, responsibility, gratitude, perseverance, empathy, cooperation, creativity, and February's focus on honesty.
Check out these Family Connection Newsletters for more details on how you can develop and support honesty in your child:
Empathy and Perseverance Award Winners
Oak Harbor School Bond - Don't Forget To Vote!
On February 14, 2023, Oak Harbor voters will consider a $121 million school bond measure that will replace three aging schools, enhance safety at all schools and address critical needs of the community.
If approved by the voters, the bond measure would do the following to enhance our schools and utilize available funding from the federal and state governments:
- Enhance safety at all of the Oak Harbor Public School sites
- Rebuild Crescent Harbor Elementary on its current site to address the critical infrastructure needs of the school
- Rebuild Hand-in-Hand Early Learning Center and Home Connection to move the schools out of the military flight path and address critical infrastructure needs of the school
- Build a school on the OHPS-owned fields at Fort Nugent Park to address the growth in the area
- Reutilize the Oak Harbor Elementary school site to address the growing need for early learning and child care in Oak Harbor
Washington state is one of 11 states that requires a supermajority of 60% approval in order to pass a bond.
In an effort to be responsible fiscal stewards of taxpayer dollars, the Oak Harbor Public Schools continues to seek out additional funding sources to address the critical facilities needs of schools in the District. Due to the poor condition, overcrowding, and the locations of Crescent Harbor Elementary and Hand-in-Hand Early Learning Center/Home Connection, the Department of Defense is providing 80 percent of the funding to rebuild these schools. This money is time-bound and if the bond is not passed, the funding from the Department of Defense goes away.
If the bond is approved by voters, the tax rate for taxpayers is expected to be approximately $1.24 per 1,000 assessed property value, which would be 30 cents less than what taxpayers paid in 2022 for the previous bond measure passed by voters.
For more information please visit https://www.ohsd.net/bond2023
Heron Photo Gallery
The PTA’s annual Luv Bug Sale is back for Valentine's Day. Send one of these cute telegrams to a student for just 50 cents. “Jumping” Luv Birds will also be available for $1. Purchases can be made at lunch recess on Feb. 6-9 and Feb 13. Extended sale hours before and after school are happening on Feb. 8-9, and Feb.13.
We need people to help us sell—click this link to sign up! Hillcrest PTA: Luv Bug Sales! (signupgenius.com
- Popcorn Friday returns on February 17. Want to sponsor an entire classroom for only $12, or help us pop and distribute? Click here: Hillcrest PTA: February Popcorn Friday (signupgenius.com)
- Spirit Wear Need some Heron apparel? Our online Spirit Wear store is open for purchases through February 17. www.ashleysdesign.com/hcepta
- Reading is Sweet! The Spring Scholastic Book Fair returns to Hillcrest March 6-10. Even though it's a month away, we are already forming our decorating committee. Want to contribute ideas and some crafting to our fun Candyland theme? Want to get a jump on reserving your volunteer spot during book fair sales? Click this link to sign up: Hillcrest PTA: Spring Book Fair (signupgenius.com)