The Why and The How
How to Correctly perform a soil test in the yard?
- Use clean tools to collect soil in cartons (from your local extension agency)
- Take a example from each uniform area. (10-15 cores per large uniform area)
- Cores should be 4'' deep for lawns 6'' deep for fields.
- Mix together, then take one pint to represent the area.
- Record where you took the samples from on sheet to send with sample.
- Place soil samples in a box (from the County Extension Office) with the information sheet and send it to Agronomic Division Soil Test Lab in Raleigh.
NOTE: Avoid unusual areas (dead or yellow) unless you want to get this area tested so you can treat it.
A detailed video about how to test it at home and what each test you do means.
But Remember The Specials Can Tell You More!
Just send it to cooperative extension offices, agribusinesses, regional agronomist, or the agronomic division laboratory.
The test results may take up to two weeks to be received by mail, but most can complete the test within 48 hours to get a certified test.