The Hunger Games
written by: Susanne Collins
The book starts out in district twelve with Katiniss. Her family is poor and she must hunt for their food, which is illegal. There is an electric fence, which is never maintained so it doesn't work, dividing Panem and the wilderness of the north. The Hunger Games are an annual tradition in the country where one boy and one girl from each district fight to the death in a high tech arena in the capital. The last one standing wins and receives prizes for their district. The drawings are a scary and intense time for citizens because they never know who will be chosen. When Prim is chosen for the 74th annual Hunger Games, Katniss saves her life by volunteering to take her place. She must fight with Peeta Mellark in the games. Haymitch Abernathy is the only winner district twelve has ever had, so he must train and prepare the two teens for a brutal fight. Each contestant must battle and kill 23 other young people to survive and win. Katniss and Peeta must do literally everything they can to stay alive. they must be cunning, smart, and work together.
Review of The Hunger Games
- Katniss Everdeen: Katniss is the main protagonist in the book. She is a sixteen year old girl who lives in the twelfth district. Her family, like most others where she lives, is poor and must work hard to get their basic necessities. She is a skilled hunter and has a special connection with the wilderness and all of nature. She lost her father in a mining accident while he was at work. She was very close to her father and his death devastated the entire family. Katniss became the main supporter for the family because her mother became depressed. She puts her family before everything else. She volunteered to fight in the games to save her sister. She is tough physically and mentally but she can also be kind and compassionate. She fights to survive no matter what.
- Peeta Mellark: Peeta is also a teenager from the twelfth district. He had not known Katniss much before the games. He was the boy from the district that was selected to fight in the Hunger Games. He is a baker's son and has had the same lifestyle since as far as he can remember. He is cunning and does what he can to survive.
- President Coriolanus Snow: Coriolanus Snow is the President of Panem. He could be considered one of the main antagonists in the series. He is an older man and a sophisticated one. He is sly and clever, but sometimes not in the best ways.
- Gale Hawthorne: Gale is Katniss' best friend in the district. He would go hunting with her pretty much every day. There is a possible relationship between Katniss and Gale from the beginning. He is a great supporter for Katniss and he does what he can to help her.
- Haymitch Abernathy: Haymitch Abernathy is the only Hunger Games winner from district twelve. He is middle aged and an alcoholic. He isn't social at all until the games. He is forced to work with Katniss and Peeta to help train them before the games. He becomes their mentor.
- Primrose Everdeen: Primrose, usually just called Prim, is Katniss' little sister. She isn't very old, possibly just a pre-teen. Katniss does everything she can to protect Prim and keep her out of the games. When Prim is chosen, Katniss steps up and volunteers to replace Prim for the games. This pretty much starts the theme of the book.