NUAMES Counseling Center Newsletter
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Early College Seniors - Graduation Sign Off
- Sophomore College and Career Readiness (CCR) Meetings
- Spread Kindness
- Boys State / Girls State information
- Junior ACT
- Upcoming Events
- Junior Higher Education Day
- National School Counselor Week / Overview of School Counseling
- Seminar Reminders
- Credit Recovery & Citizenship Make up
- Student and Parent Resources
EARLY COLLEGE SENIORS GRADUATION SIGN OFF
- If you finished/plan to finish your Associate Degree or Certificate of Completion in Fall 2022 or Spring 2023, please contact the WSU office at 801-395-3480 or email WSU at email@example.com and schedule a Graduation Sign-off Appointment as soon as possible.
- During the appointment you will apply for graduation, learn about commencement and your convocation, and complete the graduation checklist.
- Weber State Advisors look forward to hearing from you!
SOPHOMORE COLLEGE & CAREER READINESS (CCR) MEETINGS
- All 10th graders will be meeting with their assigned counselor
- CCR meetings happen once per year and are required
- Parents/Guardians are invited to attend
- Make sure to follow instructions sent via email to schedule an appointment
- If you don't pick your time, your Counselor will assign a time
- Meeting will cover your credits toward graduation, what classes you should take next year, goals for your future after high school, and much more!
SPREAD KINDNESS WHEREVER YOU GO!
NUAMES students are some of the MOST KIND students we've met in our careers! We LOVE how our students care for each other and look out for others!
Here are some easy ways to show kindness to others:
- Offer to help someone who looks like they need help
- Compliment someone
- Write someone a kind note or text
- Invite someone to join you at lunch
- Forgive someone when they made a mistake
- Hold the door for someone or let them go ahead of you
- Say thanks when someone holds the door for you
- Choose someone new when doing partner work in class
- Clean up after yourself
- Give a friend a hug
- Smile and say hello
BOYS STATE & GIRLS STATE INFORMATION
Boys State Application Information
Boys State is a great opportunity to earn college scholarships, college credit and complete your US Government requirement (required for high school graduation). You can accomplish all of this in only 5 days!!!!!!!!!!! Spots fill up quickly so apply today. You will need to create a profile (your current WSU profile won't work). After you click on register, you need to click on "Need an account?". Come to the counseling office if you have any questions.
Message from the American Legion: I am excited to announce The American Legion Department of Utah Boys State Program class of 2023, conducted on the Weber State University campus June 11-16, 2023. Boys qualify for some great scholarships through Weber State University, Samsung Corporation, and private sponsors, earn 3 semester hours of college credit (POLS 2920) all the while learning about civics and our government in a fun, friendly and safe environment.
- GOAL: The first 300 boys that complete a registration with payment will have a seat. To be considered complete, the student registration must be complete, printed & signed, it and full payment must be received by our Boys State Administrator for final acceptance. Boys will receive two emails, one when they begin the registration process and another when their registration has been accepted.
See the flier below for more information.
Girls State Application Information
What is Girls State??
A week-long immersion experience in local, county, and state government that is held at Weber State University during the summer! You will learn how the Utah government works, make lots of new friends, earn 3 hours of University credit, have an opportunity to earn a scholarship from Weber State University, and you'll gain a new respect for Americanism and those who serve our country in a fun and engaging way!
When is Girls State? June 5th - 10th, 2023 at WSU Ogden Campus
Cost to participate: $450.00 **This covers, room/board/food, and WSU Tuition for 3 credit hours. **American Legion also covers part of the cost.
HOW TO APPLY:
1) Pick up a Girls State Interest Form - in the MAIN OFFICE.
2) Turn in the completed Girls State Interest Form (to the main office). **By MARCH 1st.**
3) SIGN UP FOR AN INTERVIEW. (In the Main office) **Interviews will be held on Friday, March 10th from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM.
4) Attend an Interview. These will be conducted by American Legion Auxiliary leaders and will be held at WSU Davis Campus. *Room location TBA
5) IF you are selected to participate, American Legion will contact you and give you additional instructions (you will need to complete a registration process and pay the participation fee by March 31st).
How Do I Register for the Mar 9th ACT?
- NUAMES will register all students
- Counselors will be visiting English 11 classes in Feb to assist students with pre-registration fields in their ACT.org account
- If a student already has registered for another ACT date on their own, make sure to bring your user name and password when Counselors visit English classes. That way, we can connect your accounts together!
How Can I Practice for the ACT?
- Attend the NUAMES ACT Prep Week after school in Feb (see below)
- Use the Shmoop website (see flyer below)
- Refer to ACT.org for practice resources
- Use 4Tests.com for practice exams
ACT PREP WEEK AT NUAMES
- NUAMES is offering ACT Boot camp for 10th & 11th graders who would like extra preparation for upcoming ACT tests!
- Seating is limited and will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.
- The sessions are for NUAMES students only and will be held the week of 2/27 – 3/02 (Monday – Thursday) from 3:15 pm – 5:15 pm in D2- 110.
- To sign up for ACT Booth Camp, please fill out a registration form by visiting: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZHK9OVlnkCCEAdABx5kTgKTwgpM-FZaNzp1-dqla_WlhSUQ/viewform?usp=sharing
SHMOOP - FREE ACT PREP WEBSITE
INFO FOR 10th & 12th GRADERS ON ACT DAY
- Feb & Mar - All 10th Graders Meet with Counselor for CCR Meetings
- Feb 1 - Opportunity Scholarship Application DUE!
- Feb 2 - Capstone Night (all students invited to attend)
- Feb 6 - Utah Higher Education Day for Juniors
- Feb 10 - Last Day to Add/Drop CE Classes
- Feb 15 - Midterm
- Feb 16 - Social Emotional Learning Seminar for all grades (Optional)
- Feb 20 - President's Day (NO SCHOOL)
- Feb 21-22 - Counselors in 11th Grade English Classes for ACT Registration
- Feb 23 - Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Feb 27 - ACT PREP WEEK FOR JUNIORS (see above to register)
- Feb 28 - SheTech Explorer Day
- Mar 3 - Capstone Mentoring Day (All Students Required to Attend)
UTAH HIGHER ED DAY FOR JUNIORS
February 6th 11:30 AM-2:30 PM
- Event is for JUNIORS ONLY
- Colleges travel to ALL HIGH SCHOOLS in Utah
- Students will choose to go to THREE college breakout sessions after Opening Ceremony
- Must use Strive Scan to sign into each session for credit (see QR below if you haven't signed up yet)
- Event is your MANDATORY SEMINAR assignment for Semester 2
NATIONAL SCHOOL COUNSELING WEEK FEB 6-10, 2023
What Do NUAMES School Counselors Do?
- Remember that Seminars are a GRADUATION REQUIREMENT at NUAMES
- Seminars allow Counselors to share College and Career Information with you
- ALL NUAMES STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE THREE SEMINAR ASSIGNMENTS PER SEMESTER
- Completing required Seminars = 0.25 elective credit
- Not doing Seminars will earn U citizenship grade
CREDIT & CITIZENSHIP RECOVERY
- Remember that F's and U's must be cleared for graduation
- If you receive an F in a class required for graduation, you must make it up through CREDIT RECOVERY
- Credit Recovery = condensed version of the term you failed that earns you the high school credit back
- If you receive a U, you must complete 4 hours of Community Service and pay $10 fee per U to clear them
- All Credit Recovery and Citizenship Recovery MUST be done by May 1 of your SENIOR YEAR!
Credit or Citizenship Recovery To Do?
See your School Counselor for help getting this taken care of!
STUDENT & PARENT RESOURCES
CE TUTORING THROUGH WEBER STATE!
Hey CE Students!! Great News! NUAMES CE students are now eligible to receive free tutoring from WSU Tutoring Services. Another exciting resource to help support our amazing students in their learning and early college experience! Please visit https://www.weber.edu/tutoring for more info!