Informal and formal writing
- content - the purpose should be clear. why are you writing?
- who are you writing to?
- language - appropriate and consistent style (informal or formal)
- organisation - how to organise the content into different paragraphs
- connecting words - how will you link clauses, sentences and paragraphs
- the opening and closing of the letter
- positive effect on the reader
- check the spelling, use a range of grammatical structures, fully complete the task, no important information is left out
Phrases - one informal and one formal
- refusing an invitation
- giving your opinion
- giving advice
refusing an invitation
- Oh no! I´m sorry I can´t come to your party because I´ll be on holiday.
- I´m afraid I am unable to attend due to a prior arrangement.
- Wow, well done you - you passed your driving test first time!
- Congratulations on passing your examination.
- I think....
- In my opinion...
- Why don´t you...
- I think you should...