Avon Grove Charter School
July 2021 - Summer Check In
From the desk of Kristen Bishop, Head of School
Dear AGCS Parents and Guardians,
Hoping you are enjoying your summer. As the 2021-2022 school year is quickly approaching there are some important dates and information we wanted to share. As you know, we kick off every school year with a theme. Last year we moved Forward Together and this year we will show our Spirit and Success as we celebrate twenty years at Avon Grove Charter School.
The AGCS School Board of Directors approved a revised Health and Safety Plan during the June Board meeting. We will use this updated guidance to plan for the 2021-22 school year opening.
Key components of the plan include:
- Masks: Masks will be optional for staff and students in school and at AGCS events and activities.
- In-person Instruction: The 2021-22 school year will operate on a full return to in-person instruction.
- Health Safety: Routine cleaning will continue, handwashing and hand sanitizer stations will be used throughout the day.
- Water Stations: Each campus will have multiple water filling stations. Drinking fountains will continue to be closed.
- Parent Volunteers: We will be welcoming back our parent volunteers. AGCS appreciates all the support shown from our parents during the pandemic. We are excited to see you back in the buildings.
- Child Study Team (CST): The CST team continues to play a critical role in supporting our students' academic, social and emotional needs. The CST team meets weekly to analyze data to determine the type of support our students need to be successful learners.
- Contact Tracing: If a child or staff member tests positive for COVID-19, AGCS will follow the Chester County Health Department recommendations for contact tracing. Summer Academy and ESY parents will be notified directly if a positive case requiring contact tracing is reported in our schools over the summer.
- COVID-19 Dashboard: AGCS is suspending the COVID-19 dashboard as Chester County continues to trend downward in the number of positive COVID-19 cases.
- Emergency Broadband Benefit: A temporary FCC program to help households struggling to afford internet service during the pandemic.
- Emergency Broadband Benefit Flyer - English
- Emergency Broadband Benefit Flyer - Spanish
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 metrics as we continue preparations for the 2021-2022 school year, adjust our health and safety plan if necessary, and communicate important information with staff and families over the summer as needed.
Save the Dates:
Saturday, August 7th: Kemblesville Play in the Park for students in Kindergarten - 3rd grade
Rain date Sunday, August 8th
A playdate for new students in K-3rd & red cohort students (virtual last year). Parents and students can meet the Early Learning Center Leadership team:
- Mrs. Johnson, Principal
- Mrs. Hendrickson, Vice Principal
Stop by any of the following locations on August 7th:
9:00 am -10:00 am - Penn Township Park (Avon Grove & Oxford School Districts)
10:30 am- 11:30 am - New Garden Township (Kennett and Unionville School Districts)
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm - Layton Park (Coatesville & Octorara School Districts)
Week of August 17th
Fourth Grade Orientation: Wednesday, August 18th (Information to be emailed to parents)
4th - 12th Grade New AGCS Student Orientation: Thursday, August 19th (Information to be emailed to new parents.)
Week of August 30
Back to School Meet & Greets: Join us for an engaging, informational Meet & Greet. Additional information & PTC Fast link will be sent in the coming weeks by divisional principals. Sessions will be one hour long.
Kindergarten - Sixth Grades:
Teachers will host small group sessions to share information about the year
Day & evening spots available
Seventh - Twelfth Grades:
First period teachers will host small group sessions and the students will have the opportunity to explore the building.
Day & evening spots available
First Day of School - Tuesday, September 7th
Thank you for your support as we plan a school year full of AGCS Spirit and Success.
Sincerely, Kristen Bishop
Head of School
Coming Soon - Principal Welcome Letters & Parent Portal Action Items
In mid-August, check your email for the 2021-2022 School Year Welcome Packet. This important communication includes:
- Principal Welcome Letters
- Meet & Greet Information
- School Supplies
- Parent Portal Action Items
- Health & Medical Record Information
- Handbook Acknowledgement
- FERPA Acknowledgement
- Food Services Information
- PTO & Booster Club Information and much more
Health Services Information
The Nursing Offices at State Road and Kemblesville are staffed by Registered Nurses during all student school days. Our nurses provide first aid to sick or injured students and administer prescribed medications. Health counseling and health education are available to all students.
Pennsylvania requires children to have specific vaccines before they enter school, and students who do not meet vaccine requirements within five days of the start of the school year are not permitted to attend school until the requirements are met.
We encourage you to ensure that your child is up to date on all required immunizations prior to the start of the school year. Please review the Chester County Call to Action: Catch Kids Up on School Vaccinations press release detailing the importance of up to date immunizations.
Additional information and physical & dental forms can be found on the Health Services page.
If your child receives the COVID 19 vaccine and you would like the dose(s) documented in their health record, please send proof of immunization to the nurse.
Questions can be directed to:
State Road (Grades 4th-12th)
- Holly Verderame, MSN, RN, CSN at email@example.com
- Erica Bradshaw, MSN, RN, CSN at firstname.lastname@example.org
Early Learning Center (Grades K-3rd)
- Samantha Miller-Hall, MSN, RN, CSN, NCSN at email@example.com
Forward Together meets Spirit and Success
Avon Grove Charter School is pleased to welcome two new board members to the AGCS Board
Mr. Schuck and Ms. Byrem were sworn into service during the June Annual Board Meeting. We appreciate your willingness to support Avon Grove Charter School.
The Board thanks Kristin Smith and Rob Rineer for their unwavering service and dedication to Avon Grove Charter School. Thank you for guiding AGCS to Move Forward Together.
Board Approves a revised 2021-2022 AGCS Academic Calendar
PA Charter School Funding
As we celebrate our twentieth year at Avon Grove Charter School, we reflect on the many individuals that have helped guide, direct, and advise us to becoming the nationally ranked, small community neighborhood school down the street. It is a direct reflection of the many minutes, days, hours, weeks and years of dedication and determination for us to meet this twenty year milestone. The beginning of the school year is a good time to remember that Charter Schools are public schools.
The Pennsylvania charter school law was designed to support school choice and innovation across the Commonwealth. At AGCS, we believe that a parent should have the right to decide where to send their child to school and that their child's education should not be dependent upon their zip code.
Please watch the video below that offers a comprehensive, simple explanation of PA Charter School Funding.