3L Weekly News
Week Ending: April 4, 2014
This Week In…..
Writing: we used a rubric and self-assessed our writing in order to identify areas of success and areas for improvement. Additionally, we recored all the evidence we had for our opinions speeches. Then we planned how we would go about researching additional information.
Reading/Writing Project: this week we worked on our biography projects. During this week, we discussed the difference between a thin, boring fact, and a thick, exciting fact. We used this discussion to help us identify “beefy” facts. Our goal was to give the reader a better understanding of the person each child studied. In addition, we drew portraits, created a movie highlighting important events in the person’s life, and identified a quick fact summary! I am so proud of each student and these pieces! I can’t wait for our families and friends to see them on Wednesday!
Math: this week practiced identifying factors of specific numbers. We learned understanding the factors is important because it will help us determine if a number will divide evenly. We extended this learning and applied it to money by dividing certain amounts between a given number of people. Additionally, we began multiplying double digit numbers using two methods: the partial-products and lattice. During this time, we began with 2 digit multiples of 10. Then we progressed to find products of any two-digit numbers. I have been encouraging all students to use their favorite method to solve and check with the other method they know.
Cursive: we learned how to make the cursive r, w, and v. We also learned how to connect these letters with some of the following: c, a, d, g, h, t, p, e, l, f, u, y, i, j, k, and r. Our cursive is looking AMAZING!!! :-)
Social Studies: this week we finished creating our wampum belts. Be sure to look out for them on Wednesday night!!
- If your child has a karate form that needs to be completed by me, please send it in with a due date. I am happy to complete the forms, but also want to make sure I complete it by the time it is due!
- If students forget their Journeys Textbook, it can be accessed through think central.com. Students have logins and passwords in the front of their Agendas. EDM Home Links can be accessed through everydaymathonline.com. The login information is also in the front of your child's Agenda book. My eBoard has additional information on logging in under the Language Arts and Math tabs.
Important Dates for 3L:
Happy Birthday to:
- Michael, Robert, Isabel, Tommy, and Vincent!
- Please check our eBoard and contact me if your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday in school.
Poet of the Week:
Vincent Friday, April 25
- Poems must be submitted for teacher approval before a student presents!!
Star of the Week:
- Sabrina: Monday, April 7, 2014
- Danielle Maguire Apr. 11th @ 8:45
*Click the link below to my eBoard for additional details!
April 9 Expo
April 14-16 Snow Make Up Days
April 17-20 Spring Recess
April 21 Snow Make Up Day
Specials Next Week:
Monday is a Day 2:
- Music and Gym
Tuesday is a Day 3:
- Strings and Art
Wednesday is a Day 4:
Thursday is a Day 5:
Friday is a Day 6:
A Word From Third
#21 April 5, 2014
Dear Miss Lipski,
This week was fun! I learned how to do lattice.