3 Types of Rocks
Igneous, Metamorphic, and Sedimentary
- Metamorphic rocks form when they are pressed down within the earth and under a large amount of heat and pressure.
- They are found deep down under the earth's surface.
- Slate is a type of metamorphic rock.
- Erosion helps bring metamorphic rocks up to the surface of the Earth's crust.
- Marble is also a type of metamorphic rock.
- Sedimentary rocks are formed by sediment that is deposited over time.
- There are many different layers within a sedimentary rock.
- Sedimentary rocks are composed of different things such as: dead plants, decomposed animals, mud, dirt, clay, and minerals.
- Fossils are typically found in sedimentary rocks.
- Sandstone is one type of sedimentary rock.