Thursday, November 10, 2019
A Note from Ms. Owens
Your students will bring their report cards home today which means Parent-Teacher Conferences are coming. They will be held on Tuesday, November 26. This year, parents will be able schedule their conference on-line. More details and the link are shared later in the Check-In. Regarding report cards, please remember to sign the envelope and return it to school. You should hold on to the report card.
You may remember that on the evening of October 30, the Oak Lawn Police Department held a training event at St. Catherine. Fr. Dennis, Mrs. Kehoe and I were able to observe several of the drills. We learned quite a bit and had the opportunity to speak with Commander Clark about best practices. After the training event, we scheduled a lock-down drill for next Wednesday, November 20. This drill is not meant to be a surprise for staff or students, and teachers will certainly take the time to prepare their students for the drill and review the procedures with them.
Finally, please scroll down to the posting about Directory Spot to make sure your most current information is included in the directory.
Thank you for all you do to support the St. Catherine community! Have a great rest of the week.
Eat & Eat at La Fiesta (dine-in only)
- Click on the link below and then click on the tab that contains your student's grade level.
- Next, scroll down until you see the name of your student's teacher.
- From there, you will see all the time slots listed. All available slots will have a sign-up box and space where you can click.
- Find the time slot you would like and click in the sign up box.
- At the bottom of your screen, click "Submit and Sign Up."
- On the next screen, you will be prompted to enter your name, your email address and your student's name.
- Finally, click "Sign Up Now" and you're done!
Parents can make adjustments to the sign-up until two days before conferences. At that time, the sign up will lock. You will be able to see your sign-up, but you won't be able to make changes.
You will receive a reminder email with your time slot two days before conferences. If you have questions, contact email@example.com.
Notes from Our Religious Education Program
- Our Annual Food Drive for our sister parish, Our Lady of Guadalupe will be next week. Details are in the virtual envelope. As we look forward to Thanksgiving, let us remember those who do not have what we have.
- Please pray for our students from Ms. Hess' class (Room 111) who have the opportunity to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation this Saturday. Details for parents are in the virtual white envelope.
- 8th grade families - If your student signed up to serve as a lector or usher, please discuss dates and times with them and then have your student sign up for ministry dates. Students can only sign up for the ministry for which they trained and they need to serve at least five Masses. (Chimers and choir members have signed up with Mr. Caffee, and altar servers have already been scheduled.)
Pre-Sale Tickets for Vendor Fair
Forms and payment need to be returned by Wednesday, November 20.
Scholastic Book Fair
If you prefer to shop in-person, the Book Fair will be open after school Thursday (today) from 2:45-6 PM and on Sunday from 8 AM to 1 PM. Please enter through Door 9.
The following classes will visit the Book Fair on Friday:
- Ms. Hess
- Mrs. Zawaski
- Ms. Svec
- Mrs. Brown
- Ms. Ippolito
- Mrs. Rimkus
- Mr. Stonis
- Mrs. Felmon
These classes will visit on Monday:
- Mrs. Kwasiborski
- Mrs. Leen
- Mrs. Williams
- Mrs. Otto
Congratulations to our 6th, 7th and 8th grade girls basketball teams for their competitiveness in last weekend's Southside Catholic Conference championship.
Our 6th and 7th grade girls made it to their respective semi-final rounds, and our 8th grade A team defeated Christ the King to win the Golden Basketball Trophy. According to Fr. Dennis, "The first half was a hard fought game against Christ the King, with SCA having a 6-point lead. In the second half, SCA began to pull away. CK was fouling, and we were sinking many of the foul shouts... Our girls did an amazing job. They worked hard for every point they got. They have the honor of winning the Golden Basketball Trophy."
As our fall sports are wrapping up their seasons, our winter sports are getting started.
Girls Volleyball Evaluations
Thur, NOV 14
5th grade, 5:00-5:45
6th grade, 6:00-6:45
7th grade, 7:00-7:45
8th grade, 8:00-8:45
Please note above that 4th grade is Tuesday only, 5th grade is Thursday only, and grades 6, 7 and 8 are both Tuesday and Thursday.
Reminders for girls VB evaluations:
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled session time.
- Enter and exit using gym lobby doors – do not use the kitchen doors.
- No parents in gym lobby or gym during evaluations – players only please.
- Do not bring/wear any attire, accessories, bags, water bottles, etc. showing a personal name or volleyball club/organization.
- No jewelry allowed.
- Have gym shoes and knee pads.
- 4th grade girls attend only the Tuesday evaluation session, per the schedule.
- 5th grade girls attend only the Thursday evaluation session, per the scheduled.
- 6th, 7th, and 8th grade girls encouraged to attend both scheduled evaluation sessions per the schedule (Tuesday and Thursday).
Players have the potential to lose evaluation points should they not attend both sessions.
Teams will be assembled and coaches appointed in the days following the second evaluation session. Once finalized, families will be notified accordingly.
Directory Spot - FSA Directory App
FSA has an electronic school directory for school families who want to include their contact information. It is called Directory Spot! There are directions below for new users and for existing users.
- For all NEW users, each household is allowed one account. To be set up in the system, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your first and last name plus the email address you would like to use as your login.
- For all EXISTING users, each year please update your child(s) teacher and grade info. This can't be done within the app on your phone. You must log into the website. (Use the button below.)
- If you forgot your password, just follow the prompts to have it reset.
- If you have questions, please email email@example.com
Drawing Contest for Grades K-4
The deadline for submissions in November 19, 2019.
Grounds Clean Up at St. Catherine
Winter Coat Drive
Clean and gently used coats will be collected before and after every mass on November 23/24th.
- All coats will be donated to the Worth Township Youth Commission Office.
- There will be a collection box in the Church vestibule if you would like to drop off during the week.
Love Your Melon - FSA Fundraiser
Orders must be placed by November 15th!
The Love Your Melon Fund supports our nonprofit partners who work in the field of pediatric oncology, create therapeutic experiences and fund charitable programming initiatives.
So Many On-going Ways to Support St. Catherine!
Queen of Hearts Raffle
Once again, this week, a $20 purchase of tickets will get you an additional $5 worth of free tickets. In addition, if a spade is drawn on Sunday, we will pull 5 more tickets from the barrel and each will win $100.
After the Joker cleared the board on October 6, these are the card numbers that have been pulled: 22, 19, 41, 30 and 9.
Tuesday Hot Lunch Ordering
The link for placing hot lunch orders is below. Please remember that ordering closes at noon the day before delivery.
There will, of course, be days when parents have ordered a hot lunch and their child is absent. On those days, parents (or another designated person) are welcome to pick up the child's lunch. In order for this to happen, parents must notify the school of the hot lunch pick-up prior to 11 AM and then the actual lunch must be picked up before 12:30 PM. We cannot keep lunches beyond that or send them home with students due to food safety regulations.
Friday, November 15
- All-School Liturgy at 8:30 AM
- Toddling Chargers in the gym from 8:30-9:30 AM
Saturday, November 16
- First Reconciliation (Room 111) at 11 AM
Monday, November 18
- Food Drive begins
Tuesday, November 19
- Eat & Earn at La Fiesta (dine-in only)
Friday, November 22
- All-School Liturgy at 8:30 AM
- Toddling Chargers in the gym from 8:30-9:30 AM
- Vendor Fair in Kane Hall and the gym from 6-10 PM
Saturday, November 23
- Grounds Clean-Up at SCA from 9 AM to noon (sign up above)
Monday, November 25
- PK-4th Grade Field Trip to Snow White
Tuesday, November 26
- Student Dismissal at 11 AM -- no after care
- Parent-Teacher Conferences in gym
Wednesday, November 27
- Thanksgiving Break begins
Monday, December 2
- School resumes