The Ranger Roundup
March 2023 Parent Newsletter
Upcoming Important Dates
- February 27th - March 3rd Read Across America Week
- February 27th - Read My Tee Day (Wear a school appropriate t-shirt to read)
- February 28th - Reading in Nature (ELA classes will read outside)
- March 1st - Red Out and Read (Wear red for school spirit)
- March 2nd - Rangers and Stars (VMMS Students will read to North Columbus Students)
- March 3rd - Rangers Lead the Way and Read the Way (Drop Everything and Read schoolwide)
- March 1st - Basketball Playoffs: Veterans vs Aaron Cohn @ Carver High School 6:00 pm (Students and staff are encouraged to wear red on March 1st to support the team)
- March 1st - FCA 8:00 am - 8:40 am Room 705 (All are welcomed)
- March 3rd - March 10th Common Assessments for the 3rd Nine Weeks (ELA, Math, Science, and Social Studies for 6th - 8th Grades)
- March 6th - FCA 8:00 AM - 8:40 am Room 705 (All are welcomed)
- March 7th - Mrs. Sanders' s Birthday
- March 8th - FCA 8:00 AM - 8:40 am Room 705 (All are welcomed)
- March 8th - Parent Night on Social Media and Cell Phone Safety 6:00 pm
- March 9th - Mr. Stan's Birthday
- March 9th - Orchestra Large group performance evaluation on @10:30am at Carver High School auditorium. All 7th and 8th grade students.
- March 11th - Track Meet @ Kinnett Stadium 10:00 am
- March 13th - End of the 3rd Nine Weeks
- March 13th - FCA 8:00 AM - 8:40 am Room 705 (All are welcomed)
- March 15th - FCA 8:00 AM - 8:40 am Room 705 (All are welcomed)
- March 16th - Report Cards are available via Infinite Campus Parent Portal
- March 17th - Mrs. Kelly's Birthday
- March 17th - Ranger Day via the PTO
- March 20th - Local School Council Meeting 9:30 am
- March 20th - FCA 8:00 AM - 8:40 am Room 705 (All are welcomed)
- March 22nd - FCA 8:00 AM - 8:40 am Room 705 (All are welcomed)
- March 23rd - Mrs. Herlihy's Birthday
- March 25th - Mrs. Curbelo's Birthday
- March 25th - Mrs. Gard's Birthday
- March 27th - FCA 8:00 AM - 8:40 am Room 705 (All are welcomed)
- March 28th - District Wide Beginner Orchestra Festival @ 7:30 pm in the VMMS Gym
- March 29th - FCA 8:00 AM - 8:40 am Room 705 (All are welcomed)
The PTO will be selling green necklaces for St. Patrick's Day for $3. Proceeds will go towards supporting the VMMS Choir's trip to Savannah, GA.
The PTO will have Ranger Day for students interested in purchasing items ranging from $1 - $5 on March 17th during 6th period.
March 8th will be a night you do not want to miss as a parent. Please plan on attending our parent night at 6:00 pm.
Join us from 2/27 - 3/3 for Read Across America Week!
Georgia Milestones Assessment System
As we draw near to the Georgia Milestones Assessment please review the assessment and study guide in the link below provided by the Georgia Department of Education. As always if you have any questions or need assistance please contact Veterans Memorial at (706) 748-3203.
- Stay informed of important information and upcoming events through our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/vmmsrangers , Instagram page @vmms_rangers, and school website http://sites.muscogee.k12.ga.us/vmms/
- Have your child read a minimum of 20 minutes of night. Literacy is vital in education.
- Please make sure your student has the basic school supplies (paper, pencils, and notebooks).
- Please make sure your student is charging their Chromebook every night before the next day.
- FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) takes place on Mondays and Wednesdays in room 705 from 8:00 am - 8:35 am. All students are welcome to attend.
- If you are making changes in your student's mode of transportation please contact the front office by 3:00 pm. If the front office is not notified, students will go home as noted previously.
- Veterans Memorial's Bell Schedule is from 8:50 am - 3:50 pm
- Students can not be checked out after 3:15 pm
- Students can enter the school starting at 8:20 am
- Students who arrive after 8:49 am must sign in at the front office. Students without an adult will be marked as an unexcused tardy.
- Students need to be picked up by 4:15 pm
- All bookbags must be clear or mesh for students.
Follow us on Instagram to stay up to date on all things Veterans Memorial. Our official Instagram account can be found by searching for @vmms_rangers.
Rangers Lead the Way!
Thank you to all of our community partners who presented at VMMS's Career Day. We had various professions including: business owners, the military, pharmaceuticals, cyber security, relators, The Columbus River Dragons, The Columbus Rapids, barbers, engineers, and The NFL!!!
Thank you to Columbus State University for presenting during I Love My Future Week. CSU shared information on dual enrollment opportunities and degrees offered at CSU.
Congratulations to Mrs. Fortson and her choir students! She was selected as a winner for WRBL's One Class at a Time Grant. The grant is sponsored by Teen Challenge and McDonalds. WRBL featured Mrs. Fortson on their February 17th broadcast.
Congratulations to Malachi Hosley for being named The 2022 -2023 Heritage Award recipient! Malachi is a former Veterans Memorial student and will be attending Penn University of the Ivy League on full scholarship upon graduating from Northside!
Attorney Anthony Johnson served as our keynote speaker during our Black History Month Program. Attorney Johnson spoke on the importance of being better each day and striving for greatness. Thank you for your time and wisdom.
In collaboration with FabArts, Veterans' students were able to experience Toma the Mime and Ron Anglin's juggling acts. Toma the Mime featured creative writing and theatre performance. Ron Anglin connected science standards to the importance of juggling.
The best student section in middle school! We appreciate them.
Congratulations to the boy's basketball team for earning a first round playoff victory on Saturday, 2/25.
The Rowdy Rangers Robotics Team was recognized by the MCSD Board of Education on 2/21. The team finished 2nd in robotic design at the Georgia State Competition and won their Super Regional Competition! Along the way they were able to meet Senator Ossoff, Congressman Bishop, Mayor Henderson, and Superintendent Dr. Lewis. Also, they were featured on WRBL News 3!
Thank you Mr. Vanderford for our new mural. RLTW... Rangers Lead The Way!!!
Great Happens Here!!!
Website - http://sites.muscogee.k12.ga.us/vmms/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/vmmsrangers
Veterans Memorial Middle School - (706) 748-3203
Mr. Ogburn, Principal - email@example.com
Mrs. Sanders, Assistant Principal - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Wright, Counselor - email@example.com