CLF Post 16 Newsletter
24th April 2015
Upcoming Post 16 Dates
29th April 2015
Careers Fair at BBA
30th April 2015
Student Finance Deadline
7th May 2015
General Election Polling Day
15th May 2015
Bristol Meningitis Swabs at JCA for relevant students
5th June 2015
Exeter Open Day trip
10th June 2015
Student Election Voting Day
18th June 2015
UCAS for Parents Information night 6pm - 8pm - Venue TBC
24th June 2015
Plymouth Open Day trip
3rd July 2015
Cardiff University Residential Trip
At Bristol Trip
On Monday 20th April 2015 Mrs Leach and Ms Hamlin took year 13 A Level Psychology students to an Experience Psychology workshop at At-Bristol. Students had the opportunity to participate in experiments to discover more about their memories, investigate visual illusions and create their own investigation and collect data from At-Bristol visitors.
Students from the boomsatsuma course are stepping up a gear with creative projects this term. This week, Becky, Nishan and Callum are running a series of storytelling and filmmaking workshops for younger students at Wallscourt Farm Academy, as well creating a film about the academy itself.
Pictured from left to right are Rebecca Crothers, Catrina from Year 1, Callum Haines, Noodle the school dog and Nishan Singh.
Congratulations to the Y13 music BTEC class for putting on a gig at the Fleece showcasing the musical talent of students from the past, present and future. There were fantastic performances from year 10 students as well as the current Y12 and Y13 music BTEC students. A great solo performance from Polly Rollinson who left last year and is now studying at BIMM, many of the Y13 students will be joining her there in September. A special mention to Mr Jones who reformed his own sixth form band especially for this event.
Stand for Election!
As a councillor you will be involved in:
- Attend termly meetings to discuss Post 16 future
- Create policies and practices
- Be the important link to the student voice across the Federation
- Represent the students and champion their case
- Get invaluable experience worthy of Uni Applications and CVs!
In the run up to the election, we will support you in preparing a manifesto and election video for polling on the 10th of June.
If you require more information, please contact Andy at KOA email@example.com
On the 5th of June we will be travelling to Exeter University for the day. Contact Kevin at BBA firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in attending. (£12)
On the 24th of June we will be travelling to Plymouth University for the day. Contact Michelle at KOA email@example.com if you are interested in attending. (£12)
On the 3rd of July we will be visiting Cardiff University and staying overnight in their halls. Contact Kate at JCA firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in attending (£30.50)
Calling all JCA students!!
Details were featured on the Bristol Post this week here!
ID Cards now in KOA, JCA and BBA
Students who have been assigned photo ID cards by their site must wear these at all times as a matter of safety. Cards will be issued for BMA and HWA next week.
Year 13 Prom organised by KOA students - this is taking place at The Grand Hotel on Friday 19th June. The cost is £22 to include a buffet and as much dancing as you can handle! If you would like to attend please see Michelle at KOA, money to be paid by 30th April.
COMPETITION - photography, art and all creative students!
Click here to see the previous newsletters for ideas of what you can do.
Reading University Events - Summer Term
Reading University are running 2 day non-residential Summer Schools in the following subjects. The events are free of charge and students can apply for assistance for travel costs
- Thursday 25th & Friday 26th June: French & German ( all travel costs will be covered)
- Thursday 25th & Friday 26th June: History ( students can attend one or both days)
- Monday 29th June and Tuesday 30th June: Film and Theatre
- Tuesday 21st & 22nd June: Maths
1 day taster or masterclasses in the following:
- Wednesday 1st July: Business and Accounting taster day - details to be confirmed but email email@example.com to express interest in this event.
- Thursday 2nd July: Share dealing competition for those interested in careers in finance and investment banking
- Monday 6th July: English Literature Gothic masterclass
- Monday 6th July: Philosophy sixth form lecture with campus tour and student life talk
- Tuesday 7th July: Art Masterclass (details TBC, email firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest in this event)
- Wednesday 8th July: Geography and Environmental Science – please email email@example.com for further information
- Tuesday 21st July: Pharmacy taster session – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information
For more information about booking please click here
Please see below leaflet for the HND Computing and Systems Development course at SGS College. This opportunity is open to year 13 students who may be looking for a caeer in computing and have a level 3 qualification as well as English and Maths at GCSE grade C or above. Offers are subject to an interview with SGS.
This is a level 4 HNC/HND in computing and offers a second route into employment or an honours degree, which can be fully funded through regular student loan route.
Any questions, please contact Kandis Douglas at SGS email@example.com
University of Gloucestershire
- Friday 5th June - (7pm-9pm) Nature and Wildlife Photography Masterclass - (Looking at Focusing, capturing and using light under various conditions and key functions of the camera) Click here to book your place.
- Monday 22nd June - (9.30am - 1.30pm) - Year 12 Biology Conference - (Looking at Biosciences as a degree, Epigenetics and Pollen and Forensics) Click here to book your place.
- 1st July 2015 - (10am - 2.30pm) Social Sciences Conference - (Providing two streams, Psychology, or Criminology and Sociology. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01242714833 to book.)
- Sunday 5th - Wednesday 8th July - Year 12 Live & Learn Residential (Taster courses in: Art & Design, Business, Computing, Media and Sport.) Click here to book your place. Applications open until 26th April 2015
Year 12 Law Students - Win an Undergraduate Bursary!
Each year, CMS award up to 5 bursaries to aspiring lawyers, which pay £2,500 a year for each year of an undergraduate law degree. For all students who apply, they also offer mentoring support from one of their lawyers to help with their UCAS application, and offer some work experience to give you an experience in the law environment.
The bursaries are aimed at Year 12 students predicted ABB at A-Level who will be in the first generation in their family to go to university. There are also certain financial criteria and full details of these can be found here.
If you have any questions, please contact Susannah Taylor at email@example.com