Featuring the new bestselling novel!
Author:Lois Lowery Editor: Taysha Hogarth
Imagine a community that's controlled by down to the detail. No one could not be different from one another. But that all changed with the help of Jonas and The Giver. Jonas thought everything was normal, but when he was picked as The Receiver he saw the good and bad of how his society was. He was able to see the memories that was passed down for generations, not making the people no longer experience it.There was memories of love,culture,war,music,and color.As he knows more about everything from The Giver,he's destined to put a stop to this. All he had was a dream,memories,and love to change everything for his community.
The Giver and Jonas
The Giver is transmitting memories into Jonas
Jonas sees the bad in the community he lives in
The community has gotten back the memories
12 year old Jonas is a ordinary kid with a family and friends. This all ended when he was picked as The Receiver, his perceptive of life began to change. His dad is a nurturer,his mom works at The Department of Injustice,and his 6 year sister is an Eight. As you read the book you come to learn that Jonas is sweet,curious,intelligent,sensitive,and passionate. He's also the nineteen child born his year and is a Twelve.
Some of the challenges Jonas faced is:
1.Adapting as the new Receiver.
2. Understanding everything in a new perspective.
3.Trying to find a way to make the community see what they're missing out on.
A baby that Jonas' dad took in to see if he could improved before releasing him.He's not growing as fast as he should and isn't sleeping soundly. He has pale eyes,his comfort toy is an Hippo(elephant),and his nickname is Gabe. Jonas ends up taking Gabriel with him on his journey to Elsewhere before he got released. He is the only person that got memories from Jonas in the book.
Jonas little sister whose an Eight and her dad calls her Lily Billy. She is sassy,talkative,curious, and never quiet.She had just got her front button jacket,which was the first symbol of growing up at Ceremony Eight. Lily is a typically impatient kid with simple feelings,not concerned if her hair ribbons are untied.
Jonas' best friend,talks too fast,and often mixed things up. He mostly fools around,Jonas sometimes calls him as Ash,and is the class clown. He was fourth in receiving his assignment. He's a cheerful, friendly boy,who everyone seems to know. At Ceremony Twelve,he's assigned to be Assistant Director of Recreation.
The previous successful Receiver,and the father of Rosemary (the failure). He helped Jonas understand everything about being the Receiver, which ended up changing the fate of the community. He's not as old as he seems,is wrinkled,eyes seemed tired,and has dark circles surrounding his eyes. He's very wise, patient ,and loves Jonas.
- " I am empowered to lie.But I have never lied to you"
- If you can choose to live like in the book The Giver would you? Why or why not?
- If you could alter any part of the story,what would it be?
- Do you think this is going to happen to us in the future?
- If you could be anyone in the story, who would you be?
- If you could pick any job to be in the community, what would it be and why?
- If you could give alternative title,what would it be and why?
- Why do you think it wasn't good to be different in the book?
All in all, i would give The Giver four stars.
Why I liked it:
- I liked the idea of the story.
- I liked the characters,how they were different in their own way.
- I liked the names they gave to replaced what we call things today like Release.
- I liked the twists and turns in the book.
Why I disliked it:
- I disliked how it ended, and having to make the reader have to read three books to know the ending.
- I disliked how fast the time was in the book.