By: Katelyn, Brady, Boaz, & MK
How is it Generated?
- Biomass is burned, which releases the plant's stored energy
- Gasification of biomass- with the absence of oxygen at high temperatures, synthesis gas or methane is produced, which can then be used in a gas engine or turbine
- Specific equipment is required to carry out these processes
- expensive and inefficient compared to fossil fuels
- coal is 20% less costly than biomass
- Creates methane emissions and ash
Current State of Implementation of this Energy Source
- One of the most commonly used renewable sources of energy, second only to hydro-power
- Accounts for almost 15% of the world's total energy supply, as much as 35% in developing countries
- Used for off-grid electricity generation and almost exclusively on a large industrial scale
"Biomass Energy." Alternative Energy. Alternative Energy, n.d. Web. 21 Apr. 2015.
"Biomass FAQs." ReEnergy Holdings. ReEnergy, 2011. Web. 21 Apr. 2015.
Maehlum, Mathias Aarre. "How Electricity Is Generated from Biomass - Energy Informative." Energy Informative. N.p., 3 May 2013. Web. 21 Apr. 2015.