Locating the Key to Survival
Without water, nobody will last long, so the first step that any good survivalist will take is to find water.
- Don't drink saltwater, it will have a negative effect on your health and thirst
- First, see if you can locate a stream or a spring, as this will most likely give you a source of fresh water
- If you can't find a source, find or make a container to catch dew and rainwater in. If you don't have anything, you can use curved bark instead
Before drinking, you should always filter and purify water.
- Now that you have found water, you are going to need to filter it. You can use your shirt or socks for this, as they will drain the water, and this will get rid of most of the sediments
- Once this is done, you will need to purify the water of any remaining bacteria and sediments.
- The most basic way to do this is to boil the water
- By leaving a container of water in the sun, preferably in the sand as well, the water will heat up and eventually boil. Let this sit for another 10 minutes or so.
- Lastly, let the water cool, as this causes distillation, and a little more cleansing of the water.
- The water is ready to drink.
Here are a few more tips to make sure you know.
- Limit how much you drink at a time. Small sips are better than long gulps.
- If you don't have much water, you should save some in case of emergency
- Don't eat if you don't have water, food will accelerate dehydration
- Try not to perspire, as this will cause a loss of water.
- If you can, stay in the shade.
- If all else fails, and you have nothing else to drink, drink your own urine, but only once, as more chemicals will be in it.