Earthquakes are one type of natural disasters.
Earthquakes can be bad, but they also can be much safer than other natural disasters. Here is why.
- They only happen on the tectonic plates
- Many earthquakes are small and unnoticeable
- You can get an earthquake insurance if you live near or on a fault line
- Volcanoes can effect things in the sky and on the ground but earthquakes can only effect things on the ground
The Impact On Things And People
- Cause people to loose their homes
- Kills people
- Kills animals
- Kills organisms
Earthquakes can split open roads.
Earthquakes make houses shake and wiggle and they eventually break apart.
This is how much damage an earthquake can cause.
How Do Earthquakes Happen?
An earthquake is created by the slipping or bumping of the tectonic plates. Tectonic plates are huge pieces of Earth's crust. They are always moving, but very slowly.Earthquakes happen all over the world on something called fault lines. Fault lines are lines along the earth where tectonic plates split. In fact, there is a fault line over California and Alaska. That means there are lots of earthquakes in those places.