Gideon First Grade Newsletter!
Wow, this year is already seeming to fly by! As mentioned in the last newsletter, each month a new newsletter will be posted to keep you up to date of the most current things going on in 1st grade at Gideon. Hopefully this edition will help you keep organized as you transition from summer mode to school mode. In this newsletter, you will find some of the themes your first graders will be studying. This will help give you as parents/guardians a topic for discussion when you want to know what your child is doing in school! Also included will be important events and other important reminders. At the bottom of this newsletter you will find a quick introduction to all the teachers on the 1st grade team. Included in their introduction, will be a link to access their personal information page as well as their e-mail address. Their personal page will contain information that is relevant to their specific classroom. As always, please contact your child's teacher should you have any questions or concerns!
The First Grade Team
Gideon Elementary School
Important 1st Grade Information!
Here is some basic information that you will see included on every newsletter we send out. Please read all the way through as some new information has been added and some information might have changed.
- Students will bring home a "Take-Home Folder" daily. This needs to be checked for notes or comments, and signed nightly as it also serves as their behavior chart. This is also where you will put anything, notes, money, etc., that needs to be given to the teacher. Please also use this to note if there is a change in transportation!
- The "Take-Home Folder" will also include a "Weekly Reading Log". The expectation is that each student is to be reading 100 minutes per week. This log needs to be kept in the folder and signed by the parent/guardian. Please remember, all forms of reading are acceptable; shared reading with a parent, sibling etc., reading to self, parent reading. The reading log is considered the reading homework for the week.
-Mandatory homework due back to your child’s teacher – Reading Log with 100 minutes read.
Weekly reading Log: Your child is expected to read 100 minutes per week. They will log minutes nightly in their folder. Any form of reading counts: parent reading to child, child reading to someone, listening to an audiobook on tape, or tablet, etc.
-Homework Suggestions: Spelling – a word list will be sent home weekly with suggestions on how to practice words. As a reminder, 5 words will come from this list of suggested words and 5 words will be "mystery" words that follow the spelling/phonics pattern for the week. All students will need to know the sight words for the week. Nothing is due back to your child’s teacher for spelling. Math suggestions – practice addition and subtraction facts.
- Spelling tests are on Fridays, unless noted by the teacher.
Lunch: 1st grade lunch is at 11:10AM
Conference: 1st grade conference time is from 10:05-11:05, daily. We have team planning on Tuesdays, so if at all possible we try not to schedule conferences on those days.
What are we currently learning?
Back to School Topics
This is just a glimpse of a day in the life of your Gideon Gator, hopefully you will find this information helpful and insightful as you talk with your child about their day at school!
- short vowel phonics patterns
- folk tales/fairy tales/ legends
- connecting well known stories or fables to personal experiences
- writing brief stories with a simple beginning, middle and end
- working on capitalization and punctuation
- properties of matter (solid, liquid and gas)
- roles of public officials
- examples of good citizenship
- Johnny Appleseed
September 8th: Picture Day!
September 8th: Spirit Wear orders due
September 11th: Colors for Caring (orange or gold)
September 11th: Grandparents Day
September 13th: Fundraiser Ends
September 15th: First Club Day
September 18th: Student Holiday- NO SCHOOL!