4th Grade Happenings: Week 25
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of March 9, 2015
WELCOME TO THE 4TH GRADE!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- 9 week skills review
- Sitton List 22
- compound words vs. root word+suffix
- data analysis
- The Alamo (we lost...)
Science: Changing Earth
- Continue with seasons & tides
- shadows, moon phases
- unit assessment on Thursday
- review of revising & editing skills
OUR CURRENT WEEK
- blue specials day (LaCombe library-don't forget your books
- reading passage homework due
- math homework due
- carnival basket items due - deadline was extended to 3/9 by PTA
- purple specials day (Beasley library-don't forget your books
- red specials day
- orange specials day
- unit science assessment - Changing Earth
- Spell Check over Sitton List 22
- rubber band party - t-shirt prep for upcoming spring events
- no math homework this week
- no reading passage this week
- RECOMMENDED: read 100 minutes/week (25 minutes/4 nights); may log on line
- OPTIONAL: Spelling City word practice - List 22 (linked below);
- OPTIONAL: iStation reading practice (free app available for iOS & Android devices; Ss have login info in binders)
- Sitton List 22 - Spell Check on Friday
- Due to our no-ice day this past week on 3/5, school *WILL* be in session on Monday, April 27th
- The school-wide splash day, originally scheduled for May 8, has been moved. We will let you know when it will be rescheduled for as soon as we are made aware.
ON THE HORIZON - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
The following dates, to the best of our knowledge at this time, are the dates for the 3rd and 4th 9 weeks that will affect your 4th grader. Please make note of them on your personal calendars. We'd appreciate it if you could limit appointments and absences as much as possible on our state testing days (Writing - 3/30, 3/31, Math - 4/21 and Reading - 4/22)...thanks!
Please update your calendars accordingly. Dates are subject to change; we will do our best to keep this current. If there are any additions from the previous week's newsletter, they will be in italics
Monday 3/16 - Friday 3/20
- NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
- PTA Spring Carnival - for more info, see http://reagan.my-pta.org/
- STAAR Writing Test, Day 1
- STAAR Writing Test, Day 2
- end of 3rd 9 weeks grading period
- NO SCHOOL - student / staff holiday
- STAAR Math Test
- STAAR Reading Test
- YES SCHOOL - inclement weather makeup day (makeup from the no ice day on 3/5 :)
- 4th Grade Field Trip to Pioneer Farms; more info to come
Monday 5/4 - Friday 5/8
- Scholastic book fair in library
- Living Museum in the MPR: times TBD; more info to come
- 4th & 5th Grade Track & Field meet at Ranger Stadium - more info to come
- NO SCHOOL - inclement weather make up day
- NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day Holiday
- 5th Grade Business Fair - during specials; tickets available that week for students that wish to purchase items. More information to come.
- last day of school; end of 4th 9 Weeks - HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!!!
We LOVE mistakes!
"SO, WHAT DID YOU DO IN SCHOOL TODAY?"...(cricket...cricket...)
March has come in like a lion...with no evidence of a lamb on the horizon. Regardless, we're having a blast in Our Town!
We celebrated Dr. Seuss' bday on Monday.
As of this week, we have SIX new Chromebooks in Our Town. We broke them in less than 30 minutes after we got them!
We read. And read some more. And then we read again. Because we know that's one of the best ways to become a better reader.
We chatted with a 4th grade class in Iowa and read some two-voice poems with them.
On Friday, we dressed in our favorite decade...it was groovy. Or totally gnarly, dude...depending on your decade!
Symmetry is more fun when you can make your very own bug.
OUR PTA ROCKS!
Karen & Stephanie