Ferndale Middle Parent Update
Ferndale Middle School January 3 - January 7
From the Desk of Our Proud Principal
Greetings Trojan Family,
This is a message from your Proud Principal, Leslie Kinard.
We hope our students and families enjoyed a pleasant and safe winter break. Ferndale Middle School scholars will return to school tomorrow, Monday, January 3rd.
As a district and school, we are taking every precaution to ensure the continued safety of our students. Here's how you can help:
- Make sure your student comes to school with a mask daily and wears it so that it covers both their nose and mouth.
- Be aware of the new CDC policy stating isolation and quarantine periods have been reduced from 10 to 5 days from the date a positive test result was received, the onset of symptoms, or possible exposure to someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- If your student is sick, please keep them at home. Our teachers will be updating assignments on Canvas. Students experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should stay home and get a test for COVID-19 on day five.
- Students experiencing cold or flu symptoms should stay home and contact their healthcare provider for guidance.
- If you suspect or confirm that your student has COVID-19, please report it immediately by contacting the school at 336-819-2855 or emailing our data manager Ms. Pierce.
- Students should continue to practice good hand hygiene and sneezing/coughing etiquette and maintain a physical distance of three feet or more where possible.
- Due to the bus driver shortage, GCS encourages anyone who can transport their student to school to do so. Our district is thankful to everyone involved, including our bus drivers.
Social Media and Our School
Parents, we need your help. If you allow your student to have social media, please monitor their activity and accounts. Unfortunately, many of our young folks have not made the best decisions on social media. Your help would greatly be appreciated.
Drive-Through COVID-19 Testing for GCS Students
Andrews, Grimsley, and Dudley High School – Tues., Jan. 4 – Fri., Jan 7, 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
- Tues., Jan. 4, drive-through testing will be available to GCS students who are COVID-19 symptomatic or exposed from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday through Friday. Tests should be conducted if symptomatic or on day 5 after exposure.
Additional Testing Information
- Tests are PCR tests (mouth swab cheek and under the tongue) with a 24 to 48-hour turnaround time. Symptomatic/exposed students should not return to school or work until they receive a negative test result.
- Students should bring their student ID badges or be prepared to provide their name, address, school name, and homeroom teacher name.
- Parental consent is required for student testing on GCS grounds/facilities.
Visitors on Campus
- To protect the health of students and staff, GCS campuses remain closed for non-essential visitors and volunteers, except for deliveries and essential personnel or parents by appointment.