The Ultimate Inside Scoop
Interesting Facts About Ernest
- Was an American author & journalist
- His style had a strong influence on 20th century fiction
- His life of adventure & his public image influenced later generations
- Produced most of his work between the mid-1920s & mid-1950s
- Won the Nobel Prize in Literature
Ernest Hemingway was raised in a comfortable, upper class family in Oak Park, Illinois, a posh suburb of Chicago. With his father, he learned to hunt and fish on the nearby shores of Lake Michigan and at the family's summer home on Walloon Lake in northern Michigan. His mother dressed him in girl's clothes, maintained his hair at feminine length and style, and called him "Ernestine" until young Hemingway, at age six, demanded a haircut, boy's clothing, and to be called by his real name. He grew to become the embodiment of machismo, and perhaps the most famous English-language writer of the 20th century.