Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
hoop of learning
IB Diploma Candidate Neil Stevens has earned the distinction of graduating from Hoop of Learning through Chandler Gilbert Community College. The Maricopa Hoop of Learning Program is unlike any other program in the state of Arizona. It provides academic support while supporting the cultural heritage and values of the American Indian student. The Hoop of Learning is a high school to college bridge program designed to foster cultural resilience and career development among Native Students. Congratulations, Neil!
Congratulations to the 255 students who were inducted into Chandler High’s National Honor Society! The inductees were recognized for strong academics, leadership and service.
Chandler’s Got Talent
Congratulations to Chandler’s Got Talent participants for putting on a great show last week! Thirteen students and three teachers showcased their talents during the two-hour show. Congratulations to the winners: 1st Place: Dan Tran (completed 4 Rubik’s cubes in less than 3 minutes); 2nd Place: Terin Perla (singing); 3rd Place: Marxtavius and the Roaches (band). Miss Katie Rennell, CHS Math Teacher, won the Teacher Act with a dance piece. Great job, all!
ARTNIGHT hosted by Marriott Springhill Suites
Fourteen students from Ms. Koury’s Advanced Jewelry and IB/AP 3-D Design classes exhibited their artwork at the annual ARTNIGHT hosted by Marriott Springhill Suites. Participating students from Advanced Jewelry were Ian Maroney, Jacob Slate, Jasmine Hernandez, Tiana Poirier-Shelton, and Ally Chanley. Participating students from IB/AP 3-D Design were Rie Fukuzaki, Maria Gamez, Maria Cordova, Bek Valencia, Alex Fagan, Vivian Chau, Shawn Duggins, Tiffany Ma, and Ariel Wieland.
Congratulations to Jonny Bowles and Elijah Swinton for being named to the All-Tournament Team at Dobson. In addition, Jonny was named tourney MVP! Great work!
CHS girls Golf
Last Week's Wins
- Varsity Baseball def. Horizon 8-1
- Freshman Softball def. Highland 12-11
- JV Softball def. Highland 24-4
- Varsity Softball def. Highland 8-5
- JVB Boys Volleyball tied Desert Vista 1-1
- Varsity Girls Tennis def. Dobson 7-2
- Varsity Baseball def. Hamilton 4-2
- JV Softball tied Corona del Sol 6-6
- Varsity Softball def. Corona del Sol 2-1
This Week's Home Events
- Monday, 4/25: Freshman/JV Softball vs Tolleson @ 3:45 pm; Varsity Baseball vs Tolleson @ 4 pm
- Tuesday,4/26 : Freshman Softball vs Basha @ 3:45 pm
- Wednesday, 4/27: Freshman/JV Baseball vs Campo Verde @ 3:45 pm; Varsity Softball vs Campo Verde @ 3:45 pm
- Thursday, 4/28: Boys Volleyball vs Basha JV @ 4 pm Varsity @ 5:30 pm
CHS ENTREPRENEURS AT WORK
CHS Entrepreneurs have launched nine businesses this year, pitched them to potential investors, received funding, and as part of Maker Month, have been selling their creations during lunch on 1-3-5 block days. Check out the businesses these amazing students, under the direction of Ms. Kim Frahm, have created:
- Dues Volo: Earbud detanglers created at the TechShop
- Eclipse Sun Shades: Car sun shades with the CHS logo on them created at the TechShop
- Wolves Healing Salve: Healing ointment made from a Native American recipe and natural herbs
- So Lovely Boutique: Online clothing store
- WPS Company: Chandler spirit clothing made at the TechShop
- Fancy Fruitwork: Chocolate covered strawberries
- Bubbles Bakery: Delicious cupcakes
- Cassidy's Photo Booth: Creating photo memories in a photo booth
- Chopping: Enables the purchase of Maker Month products using credit/debit cards (CHS shopping)
Any student interested in running for an office in Student Council for next year must turn in their packets to Mr. Gray by TOMORROW, Tuesday, April 26th. This includes the parent signature page and the 100 student signatures. Also, be sure to submit your two teacher recommendation forms. Packets must be received in order to be considered as a candidate. Questions? See Mr. Gray in room 303.
LINK CREW SPRING TRAINING
On Friday, April 22nd, the newly selected 2016-2017 Link Crew began their preparations to welcome next year's freshman class by participating in leadership development activities they call "Spring Training Day". They took part in group challenges and games, had small group discussions, and created and presented posters representing the seven components of the Link Crew vision at CHS. They will next spend two more days this summer preparing for Freshman Orientation, which will be held Friday, July 22nd.
SENIOR INFO NEEDED
Attention Seniors: We are seeking out those of you who are “multi-generational graduates.” In other words, are you the third (or beyond) generation in your family to graduate from Chandler High School? If yes, we would like to recognize you and your parents and grandparents who are CHS alumni at the ceremony. To participate, please pick up a request form from Mrs. Thoren in the Career Center and return it to her with your family’s graduation year information as soon as possible.
What college or university will you be attending? All final transcripts will be sent electronically through Parchment. You must sign up at www.parchment.com before graduation. After graduation you will be charged $8.50 per transcript. For information on how to sign up, see Mrs. Thoren in the Career Center or Mrs. Graffeo in the Registrar’s office.
Graduation: May 24th at 8:00pm on Austin Field. If you are not planning to walk with the class of 2016, you must let Mrs. Graffeo in the Registrar’s office or Mrs. Smith in Room 113 know as soon as possible.
stem summer camps
CHS GOLF CLASSIC
2016-2017 SPORTS PHYSICALS
2016 CHANDLER GIRLS VOLLEYBALL SPRING CAMPS
- All Skills Camp (6th-8th grade): May 10th- May 12th @ 5pm-7pm; $ 50.00 Per Camper (Payne Gym)
- All Skills Camp (4th grade -8th grade): May 31st- June 2nd @ 9am-11:30am; $65.00 Per Camper (Old Gym)
- High School Instructional Camp (9th-12th graders): May 31st & June 2nd @ 11:30am-2:00pm (Old Gym) and June 14th, June 16th, & June 21st @ 9am-11:30am; $30.00 Per Camper (Old Gym) (HIGHLY ADVISED FOR STUDENTS WHO ARE TRYING OUT FOR HIGH SCHOOL SEASON)
- All Skills Camp (6th grade-8th grade): July 19th-21st @ 6:00pm-8:00pm; $ 50.00 Per Camper
- High School Skills Camp (9th-12th graders): August 1st– 4th @2:45-5:00pm; $65.00 Per Camper (HIGHLY ADVISED FOR STUDENTS WHO ARE TRYING OUT FOR HIGH SCHOOL SEASON)
Participants will receive a camp t-shirt. Questions? Please contact Head Coach Audra Slemmer at 480-812-7892 or firstname.lastname@example.org
cusd summer academy
In need of making up credits? Looking to get a head start for next year? CUSD Summer Academy could be just what you're looking for. Information on CUSD Summer Academy can be found by visiting the following link: CUSD Summer Academy Information
CHS WOLF DAYS - SAVE THE DATE
The purpose of WOLF Days is to distribute 2016-17 schedules, take student I.D. pictures, and pay for any fees. Please keep these dates in mind when scheduling vacations. WOLF Days takes place in the CHS Media Center.
Seniors - July 13th - 8:00 AM-3:00 PM
Juniors - July 14th - 8:00 AM-3:00 PM
Sophomores - July 15th - 8:00 AM-3:00 PM
Freshmen - July 18th - 11:30 AM-6:00 PM
Aurora Behavioral Health is offering two new programs for parents of teenagers. The first one is a free Parent Support and Education group. Parents do not need to reserve a spot ahead of time nor do they need to have, or previously have had, a child with Aurora. View the Parent Support Group flyer for additional info.
The second program is a teen summer program. Structure is a key factor in helping teenagers remain stable and happy, and many students struggle during the summer without that added support. Space for the Summer Teen Program is limited, so call today to reserve a spot. View the Summer Teen Program flyer for more information.
IMPORTANT INFO FOR SENIORS
- Scholar and High Honors seniors may pay for their graduation stoles in the Bookstore. Price = $26.
- Multi-generational graduates: if you are a senior and the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th generation in your family to graduate from Chandler High, please see Mrs. Thoren in the Career Center.
CHS ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
The CHS Student/Staff Alumni Association is raffling an iPad Mini 4 this month. All proceeds from the raffle benefit the association’s scholarship fund and reunion activities. Tickets are $10 and only 100 tickets will be sold. Please call 480-812-7740 to purchase tickets.
This Saturday, April 30, State Bar of Arizona Members are providing a free legal counseling and advice workshop to our community. Between 9AM and 1PM, show up for free advice regarding divorce & child support, wills & trusts, bankruptcy & foreclosure, and Immigration. There are two locations in Phoenix and Glendale. Space is limited so make a reservation today! See the attached fliers for more information.