Andrew Johnson Weekly Updates
We Are Eagles...Watch us SOAR!
Vicky and Stacy have some surprises in store for you this week!
Thanks and Annoucements
- On May 5, PTO will be providing lunch for us AND we will have a complimentary hand softening treatment for all faculty and staff to enjoy. The "hand spa" will be set up in the copy center thanks to one of our parents, Amber Adams, who is also a Mary Kay representative. If you decide to purchase some goodies, 20% of the proceeds will be donated to our playground fund.
- This week is also National Physical Education and Sports Week, so Coach Idlette gets a double round of gratitude!
- Please join me in welcoming Holly Griffin to our faculty as an interim teacher (for the remainder of the school year) for Ms. Pairgin.
- Thank you to all 3-5 teachers as you have truly shown your flexibility through this testing process. I know our kids would have performed well given the opportunity.
- It is time to begin thinking about class placements for next year. I will be sending out more info about this later this week.
- Yearbooks will be distributed on Tuesday, May 10.
State standards revision is happening for many academic areas. At the April 15 meeting, the State Board of Education approved on final reading the TN math and ELA standards. These standards will be implemented and assessed in 2017-18 (see below). Please note that in 2016-17 the standards for math and ELA will be the same as what we have used in the current school year. The assessment in 2016-17 will be based on the same standards we have used in this current school year, too.
Tennessee Academic Standards for Math and ELA for 2017-2018
The State Board voted unanimously at the April meeting to approve the new Tennessee Academic Standards for math and ELA on final reading. View the new standards here.
This important work was led by Tennessee educators on the review teams, as well as the Standards Recommendation Committee, whose members were appointed by the Governor, Lt. Governor, and Speaker of the House of Representatives and confirmed by the General Assembly. This review process incorporated over 200,000 pieces of feedback from Tennesseans and subject matter experts.
- For Field Day...Angela will be making a hard copy of who is authorized to pick up each of your students. You will have this with you and will need to check ID if you do not know the person. When in doubt call the office for help.
- Remember, on Wednesday of this week you will need to send the cafe a list of students from you class that will be buying a bag lunch on field day.
- Please remember to complete surveys for Stacy and Vicky. See e-mail sent on Friday, April 29 for links.
- On Monday, May 16 @ 9:00 AM we will have our final school wide assembly of the school year.
- This year, we will combine Super Soar Day with Field Day. During the portion of the day that you are not participating in Field Day, please plan activities to celebrate with your students. The activities can be conducted within individual classrooms or your can work together as a grade level. You may want to give your students some input on the kinds of things they would like to do. The only thing that we will schedule for you will be time in the bounce houses.
From the ASC
Upcoming Jeans Day
Please remember that Wednesday, May 4, is a FREE jeans day for all employees who wear a college or career shirt.
PLEASE MAKE THE TIME...
Tennessee Educator Survey
The TDOE has launched its annual Tennessee Educator Survey. All teachers, administrators, and other certified staff in Tennessee's public schools are encouraged to participate in this voluntary survey. The survey will close on Friday, May 27.
PLEASE NOTE: There are weekly and school level drawings tied to participation!
Bring Computer Science to Your School
Tynker is partnering with Infosys Foundation USA to give away Tynker's premium programming courses to 1,000 high-need schools across the country.
Every K-8 teacher can apply. Applications are considered in the order they are submitted.
Call for Presenters
Planning is underway for the 2016 TN School Counselor and Administrator Leadership Institute, being held Sept. 25-27 in Murfreesboro, TN. This year’s theme is “Transforming School Counseling so All Students will be Ready!”
The Call for Presenters online application is live. If you have information you think would be beneficial, please consider submitting a session proposal. The deadline for submissions is May 15. Click here to review the topics of interest and submit a proposal.
Feedback on Science Standards
The State Board of Education launched the science standards review website to collect public feedback on Tennessee’s newly revised grade K–12 science standards. The deadline for providing feedback is May 13.