The SUNDOG HOWLER
Shaw Sundog Newsletter Vol 22.9
Quote of the Week: 10/18-10/22
~Christian Nestell Bovee
NO BUS DAY Morning Drop-off Times
Last names beginning A-M drop between 8:45-9:00
Last names beginning N-Z drop between 9:00-9:15
Thanks for your flexibility and patience as we attempt to make a dangerous situation safer for all families attempting to get back onto Wasilla Fishhook on No Bus days.
No Buses This Friday, 10/22
- Bus #42
- Bus #43
- Bus #44
- Bus #45
- Bus #46
We want to ensure kids are only going with adults they are supposed to. Please call Max at the front office (352-0500) if your child will be picked up by a neighbor, friend, or anyone who doesn't typically pick-up. This simple task will help us be efficient while still ensuring kids go home with the appropriate adult.
- If you have an afternoon pre-school student or a kindergarten student, you will follow the blue arrows to pick up your child. All siblings of afternoon pre-school and kindergarten will be picked up in the blue loading zone.
- If you have a 1st-5th grade student, you will follow the red arrows (unless you also have an afternoon pre-school or kindergartener) and load your child at the red loading zone.
If you have any questions, please call the front office at 352-0500.
No Buses Pick-up Plan
Conferences will be in person unless you and the teacher work out another means of communication (Zoom, phone). Please note, as long as we are in the Yellow Zone, masks will be required for all in-person conferences. We are hopeful to be back to the Green Zone before conferences.
Shopping is before school and after school.
Closed times (due to Battle of the Books): Thursday the 21st after school, Tuesday the 26th before school, and Wednesday the 27th before school.
Before school shopping needs to be limited to only a few shoppers at a time. If a student is accompanied by an adult they can come in. Before school has a limited time so please remind students to be patient and prepared to come another time if the bell rings.
Lunch time shopping?
Yes, with the following details: Students may come during the last ten minutes of their lunch period. Please encourage students to have their money pre-counted and ready.
Wish list shopping:
This is working well for many families. Please encourage students to be careful and accurate when writing down titles and prices on their wish lists. It is also helpful if they rank their most important items with stars so families can prioritize.
~Thank you for supporting the library
Lost and Found
Thank you for your cooperation with this.
Questions? Call Nurse Nathan at 352-0503.
Virtue of the Week
We focus on one virtue each week at Shaw and emphasize that virtue throughout the week. Students will earn Sundog Tickets when they exhibit the week's virtue. Feel free to discuss this virtue with your child at home and find ways to acknowledge when s/he exhibits the virtue.
Students of the Week
- Aralyn Aubut
- Finn Artz
- Leena Landis
- Everyly Gittlein
- Brylee Page
- Delila Xiong
- Elora Chapman
- Lily Cox
- Ruby Opsahl
- Tess Rigdon
- Zoe Logan
- Jaslyn Xiong
The Sundogs work hard on their math facts, striving to earn Math Master status, sign that coveted Wall of Fame, and receive their Math Master dog tag.
Math Masters are earned by:
Kindergarten: Writing #'s 1-20 without any reversals and counting to 100
1st Grade: Finishing addition fluency
2nd Grade: Finishing subtraction fluency
3rd Grade: Finishing multiplication fluency *earns a MM T-shirt*
4th Grade: Finishing division fluency
5th Grade: Long division
Congratulations to this week's Math Masters!
Sydney Allton- kindergarten math master
Aubrey Smith- kindergarten math master
Lorelei Dunlap- kindergarten math master
Ike Newland- kindergarten math master
Toby Walz- 2nd grade math master
Evelyn Cronan- 4th grade math master
SchoolPay is integrated with ParentVUE. Here’s how it works:
- Login to your ParentVUE account and select "Fee" on the left side menu.
- Click on the "Pay Fees" button at the top of the page.
- You will be redirected to the SchoolPay website where you can select your items and pay fees electronically with a credit/debit card or electronic check.
- The first time you select "Pay Fees" from the "Fees" menu in ParentVUE, you will be required to do a one-time authentication.
- Fees will be added at the start of school and throughout the year.
- You are not required to store payment information to make payment, but it does make it convenient if you will be making multiple payments throughout the year.
- SchoolPay is PCI-DSS certified (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards).
Do You Fish, Pick Berries, or Mushrooms?
We need your help to maintain eligibility. There are multiple ways to qualify for free or reduced meals including income level or migrant education status.
Migrant Education: In the past three years, have your children participated in subsistence fishing, commercial fishing, berry picking, or mushroom picking and brought the food home? All Migrant Ed students automatically qualify for free or reduced lunch, tutoring services, free school supplies, and educational resources. Please click on the following link for the electronic application. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScZGKGOEsHvIczkV-f78VGxNvng6mL3LKqtV1hPG8U-R37zew/viewform
Free or Reduced Meals: To qualify, a family of three can make up to $50,000; a family of four can make up to $60,000; a family of five can make up to $70,000, etc. The application is linked below. If you need a paper copy, please call the school at 352-0500 and we will send one home with your child/ren.
Thank you for taking the time to see if your child/ren are eligible for either program.
Free and Reduced Lunch
Please make it a priority to submit a new application for this school year. There are two ways to submit your application; online or with a hard copy.
Click the link below to access the online application.
Click the link below for the printable copy: Once this form is filled out you may mail it directly to nutrition services or drop it by the front office for us to deliver to them.
As always, if you have any questions please call the front office (352-0500) and we'd be happy to assist.
Title I Info
Did you know that by filling out the free and reduced lunch application above or by applying for Migrant Education you could be helping out the school as a whole? That's right, whenever a family qualifies for either free and reduced lunch or Migrant Education our school is able to receive federal funds. These funds are used for our family engagement events (Pumpkin Patch, Gingerbread Making, Sledding, Science Night, etc.), to provide essential supplies for classrooms, and for purchasing technology such as Chromebooks.
There will be a Title 1 Annual meeting taking place next week. We'll offer a couple ways for folks to attend. The first meeting will be on Thursday the 28th at 4:00pm and the second meeting will be on Friday the 29th at 9:00am. Zoom options will be sent out as well.
If you have questions about Title I at Shaw, please call the front office and ask for Megan.
Mark Your Calendar
- Thur, 10/21: Girls' BB Game vs Cottonwood @ Shaw
- Fri, 10/22: NO BUS Friday
- Fri, 10/22: Russell PK Field Trip to Menard Center
- Fri, 10/22: K/1 Jog-a-thon Celebration
- Mon, 10/25: Boys' BB Game vs Pioneer Peak @ Shaw
- Wed, 10/27: 4/5 Color War Jog-a-thon Celebration
- Wed, 10/27: Boys' BB Game vs Larson @ Shaw
- Thur, 10/28: Parent Teacher Conferences, No School for Students
- Fri, 10/29: Professional Development Day, No School for Students
- Mon, 11/1: Boys' BB Game @ Finger Lake
- Wed, 11/3: Girls Who Code (GWC) Begins 4:00-5:30
- Wed, 11/3: Boys' BB Game vs Finger Lake @ Shaw
- Thur, 11/4: Girls' BB Game @ Pioneer Peak
- Mon, 11/8: Boys' BB Celebration Last Day
- Tue, 11/9: Girls' BBall Game vs Larson @ Shaw
- Tue, 11/9: K/1 Paint Night 4:00-5:30 Lottery
- Thur, 11/11: PD Day, No School for Students
- Fri, 11/12: Picture Re-takes
- Tue, 11/16: 3/5 Paint Night 4:00-5:30 Lottery
- Tue, 11/23: K/1 Musical Performance
- Wed, 11/24: Russell Morning PK Field Trip to Movie Theater
- Thur, 11/25: Thanksgiving Holiday, No School
- Fri, 11/26: Thanksgiving Holiday, No School