Facts about England
By: Caleb Myers and Brody Broyles
- England is located on the continent of Europe.
- The Atlantic Ocean is on the West.
- Ireland is a nearby country
- London is the capital of England.
- Major cities in Europe include: London, Birmingham, Leeds, and Sheffield
- The total area of Europe is: 50, 346 square miles. (About the size of Alabama)
- England has a set of low range mountains, a series of chalk cliffs, and multiple plains.
- Natural resources found in England are the following: coal, petroleum, natural gas, zinc, tin, limestone, iron ore, salt, and more.
- Major industries in England include: iron and coal mining, farming, the construction of automobiles, and many more.
- Things England exports include: fuel, chemicals, food, beverages, and tobacco and more.
- Things England imports include: machinery, fuels, foodstuff, tobacco, clothes, and more.
- England's currency is the Pound.
- 1 United States dollar is equal to 0.67 pounds.
- 1 pound is equal to $1.49 in U.S. currency.
- As of now, England is ruled by a monarchy.
- The leader of England, right now, is Prime Minister David Cameron.
- The head "figure"of England is Queen Elizabeth II.
- England's military consists of: 156, 940 and 30,000 volunteer soldiers.
- England's Allies are: United States, United Kingdom, Soviet Union, Republic of China, Poland, France, and more.
- England doesn't have any big enemies.
Important historic events (within the last 25 years)
- Ten new states join the European Union. (May 1, 2004)
- Kyoto Protocol on measures to control climate change comes into force. (February 16, 2005)
- Labour wins a third consecutive term with Tony Blair as prime minister. (May 5, 2005)
- Suicide Bombers kill 52 people on London's transport system. (July 7, 2005)
- Civil partners give same-sex couples legal rights. (December 2005)
- England's class system is
- England's formal religion is: Angelican Church of England
- England's Ethnic Groups consist of: White, Irish, Indian, Pakistani,Bangladeshi, Chinese, Asian, and many more.
- The life expectancy of men in England is the age of 85.
- The life expectancy of women in England is the age of 87.
- Languages in England include the following: English, Polish, Wales, and many more.
- The Literacy Rate for education in England is: 99%.